Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Using a ball-check oiler for an air tool

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 20:33:10 -0500
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:

On a side note/question. How do people use the air ratchets? Like
this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...het-47214.html

Best I can figure out is to use it like a regular ratchet and then
hit the air once you get something broken loose (shrug).

I thought it would be handy at times but I rarely go dig it out...

Just put it on the bolt , pull the trigger , and watch the nut/bolt
spin . The whole idea here is to spin that nut where you haven't got
room to swing a ratchet handle . I love mine particularly for
disassembly , reassembly not always .

Yah but... that means you had to break it loose with something else
first. Unless you planned ahead, then go dig out the air ratchet,
maybe find a socket, plug in the compressor, reel out the air hose...
or just keep at it with whatever you broke it loose with.

Umm , I use the air ratchet to break them loose too , just hold the
trigger down and pull . It's a rare bolt that I can't break loose that way .
The ratchet lives in the tool box with the sockets and extensions , the air
hose is always handy and the compressor is always on . Nothing more
irritating to me than using a hand ratchet to unscrew something one click at
a time .

And that's why I don't use it very much. Any time I plan ahead it
isn't needed and when it would be handy it isn't worth the time to
dig it out ;-)

I think that once you become accustomed to using one it'll be one of your
favorite tools - of course this depends on how much and what kind of
wrenchin' you actually do . For instance I don't break it out to pull the
drain plug when doing an oil change , but do if I'm doing a water pump swap
on a SB Chevy motor . It's all about having the right tool for the job and
using it ...
--
Snag