Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor[_2_] Pete Keillor[_2_] is offline

Default Using a ball-check oiler for an air tool

On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 09:29:44 -0400, Leon Fisk wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 21:53:43 -0400 Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 7/31/2016 9:36 PM, Steve W. wrote:

snip

I recently took the whip off my 3/8 inch impact. I would avoid using it
because I didn't like the whip. Think it was too stiff. Anyway I tend to
grab it more now without the whip on it...

I had been thinking about drilling a cross hole in one of the hose
fittings close to the tool. I was just going to thread it, maybe 8/32.
Then plug it with knurl-head bolt with maybe an O-ring as a washer. Just
spin it out, add the drip or two of oil and turn it back in (shrug).

I've seen some of those oilers you were thinking of using with missing
balls. Not sure how well they would hold up with 90 psi constantly
trying to get by them...

snip

Long ago, I found why whips are used on air tools. I couldn't keep a
cleco 1/2" air quick connect together because the vibration from the 90
gun sheared off the lugs (gets exciting when that happens). The 5' whip
to a steel hose nipple eliminated that problem. I was chipping the acid
tile lining out of a salvaged 3' dia. column on its side. We re-used
several sections as vessels in a pilot plant. Nasty job.

Probably not as important on a rotary tool.

Pete Keillor