Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Using a ball-check oiler for an air tool

On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 18:35:37 GMT
Pete Keillor wrote:

snip
Long ago, I found why whips are used on air tools. I couldn't keep a
cleco 1/2" air quick connect together because the vibration from the 90
gun sheared off the lugs (gets exciting when that happens). The 5' whip
to a steel hose nipple eliminated that problem. I was chipping the acid
tile lining out of a salvaged 3' dia. column on its side. We re-used
several sections as vessels in a pilot plant. Nasty job.

Probably not as important on a rotary tool.

You definitely had a unique problem/solution with that job. Kind of in
a different league to what most of us think of as air tools we
commonly use around the house

I was hoping to get more maneuverability in tight areas. An industrial
style air coupler makes for a stiff, bulky spot right below the pistol
grip on my 3/8 impact. A longer hose like the others mentioned would
help in some ways but not so good for putting it away. I already have a
lot of clutter. Adding 5 ft of hose wouldn't be helpful keeping stuff
untangled in its hidy-hole...

I've got one of the HF Swivel Whips like this but much shorter on my
3/8 inch air ratchet:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ose-98944.html

It looks like they don't sell the short version anymore. I don't use it
much. So I don't know how well it will hold up. Suspect it will leak at
the swivel if it gets much use.

On a side note/question. How do people use the air ratchets? Like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...het-47214.html

Best I can figure out is to use it like a regular ratchet and then hit
the air once you get something broken loose (shrug).

I thought it would be handy at times but I rarely go dig it out...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b