Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Free Equipment Removal and Russian Santa

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 19:17:50 -0600, Ignoramus24626

On 2015-12-31, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 17:49:39 -0600, Ignoramus24626
wrote:

On my website, I advertise "Free Equipment Removal" whereby I remove
obsolete equipment. Usually it is old heavy obsolete metalworking
machinery and infrastructure. Like lathes and pumps and piping and
such.

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ry-removal.mpl

This time, it was something else. A nice younger gentleman called me
and asked if I could remove some food equipment that he had to get rid
of today.

I said sure.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Equipment.jpg

DAMN, Ig. I've been meaning to ask you this for years now:

_When_ are you going to learn how to process graphics for the web?
Your images are all huge (5k x 3k pixels) and multi-megabyte. I pare
a graphic like that down to 1024 largest dim and dice it to maybe
100kb. Each is done in under ten seconds, and each loads in seconds.
Yours take nearly a minute on my 4mbs DSL to load. I realize that
some pictures will need to be large to show details for a sale, but
several smaller snippets from one would work better for you, I'm sure.
Consider Photoshop or another image processing prog.

I did consider this very deeply.

I very strongly believe in high resolution and quality of video and
images. 320 pixel videos make me cringe.

1024 x 780 IRRC is the most common resolution and it allows blowing up
photos well enough on the net. I use Image Zoom for blowing up photos
and it works nicely.

I feel that on most websites with pictures, the pictures are way too
small to be useful. They are economizing on bytes that cost next
to nothing, at the expense of clarity and ability to zoom in.

Two hours later I was done.

That's a great Christmas bonus you got for yourself.

What that stuff in the above picture, is a new Scotsman ice bag
cabinet, as well as a used "Ole Hickory" natural gas meat smoker. I
kept asking the Russian Santa, called Ded Moroz, for something like
that smoker, for years. Ded Moroz brings presents for the New Year,
so, I think, he finally heard me and got me this on Dec 30.

Way cool. Did you spend money on wages to help pick it up, or was it
solely your job? I'd consider that money well spent, either way.
What's the new Scotsman going to net you on eBay (or wherever)?
JES Restaurant Supply has 'em for $8,653.84 Bwahahahaha! Merry
Christmas!

I think that Scotsman sells for $3,200 brand new. I will probably get
1.5k for it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Nice!

I noticed the knobs are broken off on the smoker controls. Just the
knobs are is the mechanism damaged as well?

I have not even bothered to open the control box. I am sure that
whatever is wrong, can be easily fixed. I know electrics pretty well
and my guy knows gas heating. I will buy the missing knob.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry we disagree so strongly on this. In my other life as a web
designer, speed of a site was of utmost importance, and still is to me
and many others. You may be on 50mbs cable now, but not everyone is.

I very strongly believe in high resolution and quality of video and
images. 320 pixel videos make me cringe.

I agree. And have you seen the "videographers" out there with their
phones? Most are less stable than Parkinsons afflictees. I get sick
trying to watch the majority of YouTubers.

I feel that on most websites with pictures, the pictures are way too
small to be useful.

So process larger pics for your site. Simple. 500kb is much better
than 4mb per pic, and you lose no relevant detail.

They are economizing on bytes that cost next
to nothing, at the expense of clarity and ability to zoom in.

I no longer view all your pics (limiting to one or two) for a project
because those cheap bytes take so damned long to download on my
mediocre DSL connection. Crom help those on dialup, like Jim.

Way cool. Did you spend money on wages to help pick it up, or was it
solely your job? I'd consider that money well spent, either way.
What's the new Scotsman going to net you on eBay (or wherever)?
JES Restaurant Supply has 'em for $8,653.84 Bwahahahaha! Merry
Christmas!

I think that Scotsman sells for $3,200 brand new. I will probably get
1.5k for it.

http://tinyurl.com/hhkjd4b Isn't this your machine? Or is this a
larger cousin?

It is different. Yours is an ice maker. Mine is just a storage bin.
No refrigeration equipment.

Huh? Then what good is it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 16:46:37 -0600, Ignoramus24995
wrote:

You presented facts that lead an inescapable conclusion, that it is
more important to provide details to (most) people, who can afford
good connections, rather than accommodate the remaining few who have a
slow connection.

Most of America has "slow connection", to be honest.

Im currently running 1.57 mbps down and .57 up.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You are missing at least (2)

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You presented facts that lead an inescapable conclusion, that it is
more important to provide details to (most) people, who can afford
good connections, rather than accommodate the remaining few who have a
slow connection.

Most of America has "slow connection", to be honest.

Im currently running 1.57 mbps down and .57 up.

Gunner

No, it's not. Ookla reports that the average download speed in the US
has jumped by 10 Mbps in just the last year. California is at 40.8
Mbps, the fourth-highest in the country:

http://cordcuttersnews.com/average-u...r-to-33-9mbps/

Keep in mind that these averages are likely to be biased a little bit
high, because people with dial-up probably can't wait to do a test
with Ookla. g

But they agree with our experience. My guarenteed d/l speed is 50
Mbps. Ookla and several other speed tests consistantly report my speed
as just over 60 Mbps, which is the same result I hear from my
neighbors who are on our local cable system and are using the
mid-priced service, as I am.

If you're under 10 Mbps, you're sucking wind in today's Internet
world.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I do not know what good it is, but it sells new for 3,200.

It is an ice box and they have to be stainless and NSF certified.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 13:08:24 -0500
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
No, it's not. Ookla reports that the average download speed in the US
has jumped by 10 Mbps in just the last year. California is at 40.8
Mbps, the fourth-highest in the country:

Fastest available in my neighborhood is ADSL 1.5Mbps. No
cable service available. To the west a couple miles they can't even get
that the last I knew. Have to use dial-up, over-the-air service/modem
or get something through the cell providers.

I'm not exactly what you would call "out in the boonies" either...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That in an Ole Hickory CTO. Can be used as a wood smoker, oven or
combination to give the meat some smoke then fire the oven to finish
cooking the meat.

Top dial is temperature, next down is the oven temp control and the
bottom is a timer control.

Price - about $4000.00 in that condition...

Oh it will do 36 whole chickens, or 16 small turkeys, or 12 brisket at a
time....

(Local place uses one and I've tended it a few times)

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 1:08:34 PM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:

No, it's not. Ookla reports that the average download speed in the US
has jumped by 10 Mbps in just the last year. California is at 40.8
Mbps, the fourth-highest in the country:

http://cordcuttersnews.com/average-u...r-to-33-9mbps/

If you're under 10 Mbps, you're sucking wind in today's Internet
world.

--
Ed Huntress

I looked at Ookla and could only find data about Australia, Canada, GB, and the US. I am under the impression that Korea has the fastest connections. What am I doing wrong?

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You presented facts that lead an inescapable conclusion, that it is
more important to provide details to (most) people, who can afford
good connections, rather than accommodate the remaining few who have a
slow connection.

Most of America has "slow connection", to be honest.

Im currently running 1.57 mbps down and .57 up.

I was at 1.5mb/s until early 2015, after bitching every month that
they were sending "Upgrade to 12mb/s service" ads every month. They
put me to 5mb/s at no extra charge. 3-4 down, .5 up.

--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 09:31:48 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 17:05:37 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Equipment.jpg

DAMN, Ig. I've been meaning to ask you this for years now:

_When_ are you going to learn how to process graphics for the web?
Your images are all huge (5k x 3k pixels) and multi-megabyte. I pare
a graphic like that down to 1024 largest dim and dice it to maybe
100kb. Each is done in under ten seconds, and each loads in seconds.
Yours take nearly a minute on my 4mbs DSL to load. I realize that
some pictures will need to be large to show details for a sale, but
several smaller snippets from one would work better for you, I'm sure.
Consider Photoshop or another image processing prog.

IRFANVIEW is quick and easy. And yeah..took forever to load.

http://www.irfanview.com/
And get the plugins/addons.

Good stuff Maynard!!

Someone else mentioned Gimp, the Photoshop of Linux. I've heard only
good things about it.

--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
-- Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 13:08:24 -0500
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
No, it's not. Ookla reports that the average download speed in the US
has jumped by 10 Mbps in just the last year. California is at 40.8
Mbps, the fourth-highest in the country:

Fastest available in my neighborhood is ADSL 1.5Mbps. No
cable service available. To the west a couple miles they can't even
get that the last I knew. Have to use dial-up, over-the-air
service/modem or get something through the cell providers.

I'm not exactly what you would call "out in the boonies" either...

I live over 10 miles from town , and I have about 6Mb/sec down and
768(IIRC) up . They DO have fiber optic service to town , I think that might
help . I believe our location would qualify as "out in the boonies" .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-01-01, Steve W. wrote:

That in an Ole Hickory CTO. Can be used as a wood smoker, oven or
combination to give the meat some smoke then fire the oven to finish
cooking the meat.

Top dial is temperature, next down is the oven temp control and the
bottom is a timer control.

Right.

Price - about $4000.00 in that condition...

Oh it will do 36 whole chickens, or 16 small turkeys, or 12 brisket at a
time....

(Local place uses one and I've tended it a few times)

OK, I never smoke that much, something like 20 lbs at once (then I
freeze it). Would that be a problem?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Fri, 01 Jan 2016 09:44:06 -0800
wrote:

You presented facts that lead an inescapable conclusion, that it is
more important to provide details to (most) people, who can afford
good connections, rather than accommodate the remaining few who have a
slow connection.

Most of America has "slow connection", to be honest.

It is rather interesting to discover that major web sites (on real
estate, one 'social networking'), have decided that the 20% of the
population which uses Firefox, are just not worth bothering with.

Different outfit, just took me two days, three computers and four
different browsers to finally get it to take my money.
--
pyotr
Job creation and destruction are both relentless.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Gimp is good and it will run on Winblows as well. They did a major
revision not long ago and its now better laid out and easier to use.
I just downloaded it and installed it, but havent gotten around to
using it yet. Ive used the older versions and they were very powerful,
but something of a PITA to use unless you used it a lot. Im hoping
the new version is a goody..as the digital camera stuff Im doing will
need workable software. Ive used IRFANView for years and its good for
most things..but Im trying for the advanced stuff.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 17:20:05 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 13:08:24 -0500
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
No, it's not. Ookla reports that the average download speed in the US
has jumped by 10 Mbps in just the last year. California is at 40.8
Mbps, the fourth-highest in the country:

Fastest available in my neighborhood is ADSL 1.5Mbps. No
cable service available. To the west a couple miles they can't even get
that the last I knew. Have to use dial-up, over-the-air service/modem
or get something through the cell providers.

I'm not exactly what you would call "out in the boonies" either...

Is there something wrong with one of these?

http://broadbandnow.com/Michigan/Grand-Rapids

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-01-01, Steve W. wrote:
That in an Ole Hickory CTO. Can be used as a wood smoker, oven or
combination to give the meat some smoke then fire the oven to finish
cooking the meat.

Top dial is temperature, next down is the oven temp control and the
bottom is a timer control.

Right.

Price - about $4000.00 in that condition...

Oh it will do 36 whole chickens, or 16 small turkeys, or 12 brisket at a
time....

(Local place uses one and I've tended it a few times)

OK, I never smoke that much, something like 20 lbs at once (then I
freeze it). Would that be a problem?

Not a problem to run a small batch. Just that they are a large unit.
Did you get the wood basket for the firebox? If not they are not hard to
make or buy a replacement.
Wood wise 4-5 pounds of DRY seasoned wood will run 7-8 hours.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 13:08:24 -0500
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
No, it's not. Ookla reports that the average download speed in the US
has jumped by 10 Mbps in just the last year. California is at 40.8
Mbps, the fourth-highest in the country:

Fastest available in my neighborhood is ADSL 1.5Mbps. No
cable service available. To the west a couple miles they can't even get
that the last I knew. Have to use dial-up, over-the-air service/modem
or get something through the cell providers.

I'm not exactly what you would call "out in the boonies" either...

Is there something wrong with one of these?

http://broadbandnow.com/Michigan/Grand-Rapids

I just went there and punched in my zip. They show "providers" who don't
even serve the area! They also show speeds that are NOT possible due to
the current infrastructure.

The stat of - 74% of New Yorkers "have access to" 100mbps or faster is
BS marketing.
Having "access to" is MUCH different than actually having that speed.
From my place I can go less than a mile and find people who can't get
anything over 3mbps and more that are on dial-up. Even the folks right
in town and next to the main feed only get about 12mbps. The
infrastructure can't support faster than that.

It's people who use the data from sites like that who seem to think
"everyone" has high speed.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 21:13:21 -0500
Ed Huntress wrote:

Is there something wrong with one of these?

http://broadbandnow.com/Michigan/Grand-Rapids

Read Steve W's reply, much the same thing here.

Cable service doesn't quite make it this far. DSL is limited by what
AT&T is offering, which is the ADSL 1.5Mbps. All the DSL providers are
basically reselling the AT&T service. If you read the small print you
have to have an AT&T phone to qualify for their plans.

The over-the-air stuff (microwave, whatever), last time I checked around
a year ago is the same speed and about the same cost as current ADSL. Of
course this has its own unique set of problems/headaches too.

Only thing faster would be a cellphone data package which has its own
set of headaches and costs associated with such...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

My cellular Internet service has lower priority than voice calls and
slows or halts during commuting hours. At its best it can't quite keep
up with YouTube. This hilly area also has issues with cellphone and
broadcast TV reception, though not enough to drive me to paying for
cable.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 07:47:41 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
My cellular Internet service has lower priority than voice calls and
slows or halts during commuting hours. At its best it can't quite keep
up with YouTube. This hilly area also has issues with cellphone and
broadcast TV reception, though not enough to drive me to paying for
cable.

Interesting observation there. I don't know the pitfalls for the
different services but being an old electronics tech I know they are
there...

When Nextel first came on in my area they could support 6 Push-to-Talk
users per RF channel or 3 Phone users. It caused us a lot of headaches.
They took over the old Motorola analog trunking system. Some channels
were kept as analog for the time being while the remaining were
converted to digital. We serviced the analog side. Nextel the digital.
The freq scheme was never designed to be digital. A digital signal
takes up the full bandwidth all the time. To our ear it sounds like
white noise. If a digital channel got turned on next to the analog
control channel it would greatly reduce the whole analog system range
due to interference from the new digital channel. We took the grief for
a once great system not working well anymore. Customers would get
frustrated and sign-up for the "new" system because we couldn't make the
old system work right anymore. Worked great for you know who

The other systems in my area require a unique modem and antenna. So you
will have that expense to figure in. Plus the monthly charge is
considerably more for roughly the same speed as ADSL. My current
modem/router/wifi unit is a discard from a neighbor. I fixed the
wall-wart, got it working again Can't beat that price. If you watch
Craigs List they turn up there for ~$20 pretty regular...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-01-01, Steve W. wrote:
That in an Ole Hickory CTO. Can be used as a wood smoker, oven or
combination to give the meat some smoke then fire the oven to finish
cooking the meat.

Top dial is temperature, next down is the oven temp control and the
bottom is a timer control.

Right.

Price - about $4000.00 in that condition...

Oh it will do 36 whole chickens, or 16 small turkeys, or 12 brisket at a
time....

(Local place uses one and I've tended it a few times)

OK, I never smoke that much, something like 20 lbs at once (then I
freeze it). Would that be a problem?

Not a problem to run a small batch. Just that they are a large unit.
Did you get the wood basket for the firebox? If not they are not hard to
make or buy a replacement.
Wood wise 4-5 pounds of DRY seasoned wood will run 7-8 hours.

Great. I have a wood basket, yes. I find that 5-6 hours of smoke is
all that is needed, with the total hours of heat working great at 12
hours, for brisket.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 07:47:41 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
[...]

I may gift my laptop with a cheap used WWAN card that handles the CDMA
EVDO protocol and see if I can register it with a free ISP like
FreedomPop.

When the telco tech found out that I understood how their system works
he removed bridge taps and cut off the line beyond my house. But the
copper pair is much too long for DSL.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Is there something wrong with one of these?

http://broadbandnow.com/Michigan/Grand-Rapids

Read Steve W's reply, much the same thing here.

Well, this stuff is the lifeblood of my business, so it's worth it to
do some checking. I'll have to look into Steve's situation but I
checked yours first.

First, I took your "Grand Rapids" address literally. And the reason I
worded my question the way I did is that everyone who is actually in
Grand Rapids has access to at least *one* of those high-speed
services.

But you're 12 miles out, in a mostly rural area, right? (It looks very
pretty, BTW.) Assuming I have your address right, here's the story.

Your ZIP code actually overlaps TWO COUNTIES! g And both AT&T and
Xfinity confirm that at least SOME people in that ZIP have access to
high speed. Xfinity (Comcast) offers 150 Mbps in some parts of your
ZIP. Just not you. g

In fact, in Ottawa County, fewer than 3% of the people who live there
do not have high-speed Internet access. Almost all of the population
in your county is concentrated in three areas, and you aren't in one
of them.

And that's the common situation around the country. Where there are
concentrations of people, there is high-speed Internet. And that's
most of the country, population-wise. It's one of the things you give
up for living in nice rural and semi-rural areas.

From a business point of view, we have to go with the numbers. So we
build Web sites for the mass of the market.

BTW, AT&T says they can offer you 3 Mbps download. You might want to
ask.

Cable service doesn't quite make it this far. DSL is limited by what
AT&T is offering, which is the ADSL 1.5Mbps. All the DSL providers are
basically reselling the AT&T service. If you read the small print you
have to have an AT&T phone to qualify for their plans.

The over-the-air stuff (microwave, whatever), last time I checked around
a year ago is the same speed and about the same cost as current ADSL. Of
course this has its own unique set of problems/headaches too.

Only thing faster would be a cellphone data package which has its own
set of headaches and costs associated with such...

The wireless and satellite service in your area is expensive and not
all that fast. Personally, I wouldn't bother unless I really needed it
for some business reason. None of it appears to be over 25 Mbps, so it
doesn't qualify as "high-speed." So your area isn't counted in the
national figures for high-speed service.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Is there something wrong with one of these?

http://broadbandnow.com/Michigan/Grand-Rapids

Read Steve W's reply, much the same thing here.

Cable service doesn't quite make it this far. DSL is limited by what
AT&T is offering, which is the ADSL 1.5Mbps. All the DSL providers are
basically reselling the AT&T service. If you read the small print you
have to have an AT&T phone to qualify for their plans.

The over-the-air stuff (microwave, whatever), last time I checked around
a year ago is the same speed and about the same cost as current ADSL. Of
course this has its own unique set of problems/headaches too.

Only thing faster would be a cellphone data package which has its own
set of headaches and costs associated with such...

Oh, I forgot to mention: Anyone in the country who has a clear view of
the southern sky can get HughesNet satellite internet at 15 Mbps. The
cost isn't worth it, again, unless you have a business reason and no
other decent service. It's around $130/month.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 13:08:24 -0500
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
No, it's not. Ookla reports that the average download speed in the US
has jumped by 10 Mbps in just the last year. California is at 40.8
Mbps, the fourth-highest in the country:
Fastest available in my neighborhood is ADSL 1.5Mbps. No
cable service available. To the west a couple miles they can't even get
that the last I knew. Have to use dial-up, over-the-air service/modem
or get something through the cell providers.

I'm not exactly what you would call "out in the boonies" either...

Is there something wrong with one of these?

http://broadbandnow.com/Michigan/Grand-Rapids

I just went there and punched in my zip. They show "providers" who don't
even serve the area! They also show speeds that are NOT possible due to
the current infrastructure.

The stat of - 74% of New Yorkers "have access to" 100mbps or faster is
BS marketing.

The population of NY state is 19.75 million. The combined population
of NYC, Westchester County, and Long Island is 17.0 million. 101 Mbps
service is offered by Optimum all the way out to Montauk Point and
residential 150 Mbps (500 Mbps if you want to spring for another
$100/mo) all the way up to Peekskill by Verizon FIOS. In NYC, you can
get 335 Mbps in residences, or more from some providers.

If you live in Shrub Oak, it's a little more difficult, but you can
get it. g

You were saying?

Having "access to" is MUCH different than actually having that speed.
From my place I can go less than a mile and find people who can't get
anything over 3mbps and more that are on dial-up. Even the folks right
in town and next to the main feed only get about 12mbps. The
infrastructure can't support faster than that.

Without knowing where you live, I can't comment. But see my reply to
Leon. He's a real outlier, even in his county.

It's people who use the data from sites like that who seem to think
"everyone" has high speed.

There is very precise data on Internet access if you want to look for
it. I was just tossing out a quick response to Leon's address, which
he identifies as Grand Rapids. It's not Grand Rapids. He lives in a
mostly rural area 12 miles outside of town.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 10:58:44 -0500
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
But you're 12 miles out, in a mostly rural area, right? (It looks very
pretty, BTW.) Assuming I have your address right, here's the story.

Your ZIP code actually overlaps TWO COUNTIES! g And both AT&T and
Xfinity confirm that at least SOME people in that ZIP have access to
high speed. Xfinity (Comcast) offers 150 Mbps in some parts of your
ZIP. Just not you. g

Oh you've got me pegged pretty close there

Cable comes up short in several directions. There is also a small
Telephone Co just to my north-west that has some cool stuff.
Coopersville is in a unique position. About halfway in between Muskegon
and Grand Rapids. Also I-96 Expressway goes right by it. Businesses
have been setting up shop there for years now hoping to split the
difference.

I grew up here so it wasn't a conscious choice of being "rural" or not.
Just never found a reason to move elsewhere. I knew pretty much
everyone (their names) within a four square mile radius when I was a
kid. Not so much anymore. It would be even less rural if zoning easily
allowed less than ten acre lots. Either a big farmer has it now or it
has been chopped up...

AT&T has claimed (they tried to up-sell me when I went with a local DSL
provider) they can give me 6 Mbps U-verse. Neighbor's have been begging
them for it and they tell me 1.5 Mbs is all they offer out here. Now
who should I believe ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 10:58:44 -0500
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
[...]

Your neighbor . We had a long-running battle in Memphis with AT&T over
uverse . They were claiming they were providing us with 1.5Mb service and
billing for it . The best I ever got from their connection was under 768k ,
and more often was 350k or less . Even when their tech came out and verified
the rate , they tried to overcharge us . Demanded and got a reduction and
some rebate , then told them to shove their uverse service where the light
don't shine .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 13:47:42 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 10:58:44 -0500
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
[...]

I vaguely remember the area. I lived in Lansing, my girlfriend lived
in Greenville, and we often drove out I-96 to Grand Haven. I remember
liking it a lot.

AT&T has claimed (they tried to up-sell me when I went with a local DSL
provider) they can give me 6 Mbps U-verse. Neighbor's have been begging
them for it and they tell me 1.5 Mbs is all they offer out here. Now
who should I believe ;-)

When it comes to DSL, believe your eyes. g I was so glad when our
cable company introduced Internet service 15 years ago and I was able
to drop Verizon DSL. It was unreliable and generally stunk.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 13:59:28 -0600
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

snip
AT&T has claimed (they tried to up-sell me when I went with a local
DSL provider) they can give me 6 Mbps U-verse. Neighbor's have been
begging them for it and they tell me 1.5 Mbs is all they offer out
here. Now who should I believe ;-)

Your neighbor . We had a long-running battle in Memphis with AT&T over
uverse . They were claiming they were providing us with 1.5Mb service and
billing for it . The best I ever got from their connection was under 768k ,
and more often was 350k or less . Even when their tech came out and verified
the rate , they tried to overcharge us . Demanded and got a reduction and
some rebate , then told them to shove their uverse service where the light
don't shine .

Those BIG companies can be a BIG PAIN when it comes to billing and
solving any kind of abnormal problem. Especially when it makes them
look bad or reduces their take.

I download stuff pretty regularly. In fact I had a goodly sized
download going just now. If the speed (my browser shows download
speeds) is running around 150 kbps then I know I have the 1.5 mb
connection I'm paying for. I don't leave my modem up all the time. If
I'm not using the net I unplug it. It only takes a couple minutes for
it to power up, come online so it's no big deal. About the same amount
of time for the computer to boot.

I have caught the modem/connection being downgraded to 768 kbps. When
that happens you have to either unplug the modem or get into its setup
page and force it to re-handshake (my term, forget the technical one
for it) the connection. I'm sure there are a lot of customers that have
no idea this is going on. Their modems are powered up 24/7 and their
applications don't display transfer speeds. I don't put much faith in
the "test your speed sites". They really have no way to know for sure
what is happening at your computer. Just what they are pumping out in
your direction...

My modem is an older model but capable of higher DSL speeds than
what is currently available to me here right now.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 15:53:32 -0500
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
I vaguely remember the area. I lived in Lansing, my girlfriend lived
in Greenville, and we often drove out I-96 to Grand Haven. I remember
liking it a lot.

You only missed me by about a mile then. I can hear the highway noise
on quiet days when I step outside

I use to ride my bicycle out to Grand Haven pretty regular for
exercise. Only once or twice a year I would venture as far as the State
Park, which was probably your destination back then. It is one of
the States busiest parks nowadays. You probably wouldn't recognize it
anymore...

AT&T has claimed (they tried to up-sell me when I went with a local DSL
provider) they can give me 6 Mbps U-verse. Neighbor's have been begging
them for it and they tell me 1.5 Mbs is all they offer out here. Now
who should I believe ;-)

When it comes to DSL, believe your eyes. g I was so glad when our
cable company introduced Internet service 15 years ago and I was able
to drop Verizon DSL. It was unreliable and generally stunk.

My old dial up provider (iserv) had the DSL offering I'm currently
using. It's on the AT&T system. They buy it from AT&T somehow and
then re-sell it. So I didn't have to change my email address and I
already liked the outfit.

What really annoys me with AT&T is they have been trying to get me to
upgrade to one of their packages for at least 3 years now, maybe even
longer. They send the info every month with the phone bill plus one
separate mailing in between. So that's twice a month. They tell you how
much you will save and the Intro rate plus? I want to know what the
monthly cost will be after the honeymoon is over with all the added
fees. They can't/won't tell you that. Which makes one wonder how they
can calculate the monthly bill then ;-)

Neighbors I've asked have cell phone bundles and other weird stuff and
really don't know what they are paying for DSL. I'm sure AT&T likes it
that way. Keep everyone confused...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 13:08:24 -0500
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
[...]

13475 is the closest zip. But Verizon isn't in my area. We have
Frontier. The fastest the system supports here is 8mbps. Will never get
faster without major upgrades, which won't happen.

Having "access to" is MUCH different than actually having that speed.
From my place I can go less than a mile and find people who can't get
anything over 3mbps and more that are on dial-up. Even the folks right
in town and next to the main feed only get about 12mbps. The
infrastructure can't support faster than that.

Without knowing where you live, I can't comment. But see my reply to
Leon. He's a real outlier, even in his county.

It's people who use the data from sites like that who seem to think
"everyone" has high speed.

There is very precise data on Internet access if you want to look for
it. I was just tossing out a quick response to Leon's address, which
he identifies as Grand Rapids. It's not Grand Rapids. He lives in a
mostly rural area 12 miles outside of town.

I'm farther out than that.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

I'll trade you, I have cell service as long as I stand by one window in
the house, Go outside and there is a spot inline with that window where
you have service.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-01-02, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus18273 wrote:
On 2016-01-01, Steve W. wrote:
[...]

That unit will handle that just fine. Toss some chunks in the basket,
slide it into the middle of the firebox and fire it up. Then prep your
meat as it warms up. That way you are smoking ASAP and you don't get the
taste of the initial fire. That upper switch shuts the burner and fan
down when you open the top. They are a great unit. You will want to
clean it real well, then fire just the gas to dry it out.
You can find these in a lot of places, they are also popular with the
competition folks. Bolt it to a trailer with a propane tank and a wood
box and you're set to go.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

My cellular Internet service has lower priority than voice calls
and slows or halts during commuting hours. At its best it can't
quite keep up with YouTube. This hilly area also has issues with
cellphone and broadcast TV reception, though not enough to drive me
to paying for cable.

-jsw

I'll trade you, I have cell service as long as I stand by one window
in the house, Go outside and there is a spot inline with that window
where you have service.

--
Steve W.

I hung the Broadband2Go modem up near the ceiling on a USB extension
cable.

Could be worse, I couldn't solve my antenna reception problems with
the local TV station until I bought a spectrum analyzer that could
distinguish low signal strength from multipath. The antenna is
actually aimed at the cleanest reflection.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-loc...a-ota-268.html
Near the end ProjectSHO89 posted a photo of a channel distorted by
destructive interference from multipath reflections and a flat-topped
clean one. Each channel is 6 MHz wide on the horizontal frequency
axis, and the vertical scale looks like 10 dB of signal strength per
line.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 13:08:24 -0500
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
[...]

Looking at the map, offhand, I would expect you'll be waiting a while.

Having "access to" is MUCH different than actually having that speed.
From my place I can go less than a mile and find people who can't get
anything over 3mbps and more that are on dial-up. Even the folks right
in town and next to the main feed only get about 12mbps. The
infrastructure can't support faster than that.

Without knowing where you live, I can't comment. But see my reply to
Leon. He's a real outlier, even in his county.

It's people who use the data from sites like that who seem to think
"everyone" has high speed.

There is very precise data on Internet access if you want to look for
it. I was just tossing out a quick response to Leon's address, which
he identifies as Grand Rapids. It's not Grand Rapids. He lives in a
mostly rural area 12 miles outside of town.

I'm farther out than that.

I see. Well, you have Cuomo's effort to have 100 Mbps throughout New
York state in a couple of years. 'Dunno how that's going, although NYC
is going gangbusters to have gigabit wifi throughout the five
boroughs.

To me, it reminds me of Rural Electrification in the '30s, and rural
telephone a bit later. They were federal mandates and the idea was
that the whole country benefits by making those services available to
everyone.

I doubt if that will happen again. But a few states will do it, and
maybe satellite service, like HughesNet, may fill in the gaps.

The gaps would be you and Leon. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We have higher, but the fiber bundle that tunnels under my driveway and
has a up/down link between drive ways won't be connecting to our house.
That large bundle (big enough for most small towns) is for the school
ONLY. And the limited use they use it for. Outrageous waste of
bandwidth. We also pay for 6MBPS and get 5.5 at the very best.
They bandwidth limit our accounts and use the level we pay at as the
clamp high end and the low end at 5.5. They use 10% of my bandwidth
to keep me from exceeding the pay level I pay for.

It is about time for class action suits to force them to use their side
and give us 6.5 for a while and then 6.0 as we have paid for for years.

Martin

wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 13:08:24 -0500
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
[...]

From my place I can go less than a mile and find people who can't get
anything over 3mbps and more that are on dial-up. Even the folks right
in town and next to the main feed only get about 12mbps. The
infrastructure can't support faster than that.

It's people who use the data from sites like that who seem to think
"everyone" has high speed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-01-02, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus18273 wrote:
On 2016-01-01, Steve W. wrote:
[...]

OK, great to know. I will indeed dry it out. I already started
cleaning it.

You can find these in a lot of places, they are also popular with the
competition folks. Bolt it to a trailer with a propane tank and a wood
box and you're set to go.

Wait a minute, this is a natural gas unit? It need to be converted to
propane somehow, cannot just be hooked up?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-01-02, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus18273 wrote:
On 2016-01-01, Steve W. wrote:
[...]

They can be ordered either way. The side plate will tell you which way
your's is set up. If it's NG and you have NG available, you're good to
go. No conversion.

Hope to see pictures of the first batch....

--
Steve W.