Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Free Equipment Removal and Russian Santa

On 2016-01-01, Steve W. wrote:
That in an Ole Hickory CTO. Can be used as a wood smoker, oven or
combination to give the meat some smoke then fire the oven to finish
cooking the meat.

Top dial is temperature, next down is the oven temp control and the
bottom is a timer control.
Right.

Price - about $4000.00 in that condition...

Oh it will do 36 whole chickens, or 16 small turkeys, or 12 brisket at a
time....

(Local place uses one and I've tended it a few times)

OK, I never smoke that much, something like 20 lbs at once (then I
freeze it). Would that be a problem?

Not a problem to run a small batch. Just that they are a large unit.
Did you get the wood basket for the firebox? If not they are not hard to
make or buy a replacement.
Wood wise 4-5 pounds of DRY seasoned wood will run 7-8 hours.

Great. I have a wood basket, yes. I find that 5-6 hours of smoke is
all that is needed, with the total hours of heat working great at 12
hours, for brisket.

That unit will handle that just fine. Toss some chunks in the basket,
slide it into the middle of the firebox and fire it up. Then prep your
meat as it warms up. That way you are smoking ASAP and you don't get the
taste of the initial fire. That upper switch shuts the burner and fan
down when you open the top. They are a great unit. You will want to
clean it real well, then fire just the gas to dry it out.
You can find these in a lot of places, they are also popular with the
competition folks. Bolt it to a trailer with a propane tank and a wood
box and you're set to go.

--
Steve W.