Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Free Equipment Removal and Russian Santa

Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 04:02:29 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 17:20:05 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 13:08:24 -0500
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
No, it's not. Ookla reports that the average download speed in the US
has jumped by 10 Mbps in just the last year. California is at 40.8
Mbps, the fourth-highest in the country:
Fastest available in my neighborhood is ADSL 1.5Mbps. No
cable service available. To the west a couple miles they can't even get
that the last I knew. Have to use dial-up, over-the-air service/modem
or get something through the cell providers.

I'm not exactly what you would call "out in the boonies" either...
Is there something wrong with one of these?

http://broadbandnow.com/Michigan/Grand-Rapids

I just went there and punched in my zip. They show "providers" who don't
even serve the area! They also show speeds that are NOT possible due to
the current infrastructure.

The stat of - 74% of New Yorkers "have access to" 100mbps or faster is
BS marketing.

The population of NY state is 19.75 million. The combined population
of NYC, Westchester County, and Long Island is 17.0 million. 101 Mbps
service is offered by Optimum all the way out to Montauk Point and
residential 150 Mbps (500 Mbps if you want to spring for another
$100/mo) all the way up to Peekskill by Verizon FIOS. In NYC, you can
get 335 Mbps in residences, or more from some providers.

If you live in Shrub Oak, it's a little more difficult, but you can
get it. g

You were saying?

13475 is the closest zip. But Verizon isn't in my area. We have
Frontier. The fastest the system supports here is 8mbps. Will never get
faster without major upgrades, which won't happen.

Having "access to" is MUCH different than actually having that speed.
From my place I can go less than a mile and find people who can't get
anything over 3mbps and more that are on dial-up. Even the folks right
in town and next to the main feed only get about 12mbps. The
infrastructure can't support faster than that.

Without knowing where you live, I can't comment. But see my reply to
Leon. He's a real outlier, even in his county.

It's people who use the data from sites like that who seem to think
"everyone" has high speed.

There is very precise data on Internet access if you want to look for
it. I was just tossing out a quick response to Leon's address, which
he identifies as Grand Rapids. It's not Grand Rapids. He lives in a
mostly rural area 12 miles outside of town.

I'm farther out than that.

--
Steve W.