Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Free Equipment Removal and Russian Santa

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 13:47:42 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 10:58:44 -0500
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
But you're 12 miles out, in a mostly rural area, right? (It looks very
pretty, BTW.) Assuming I have your address right, here's the story.

Your ZIP code actually overlaps TWO COUNTIES! g And both AT&T and
Xfinity confirm that at least SOME people in that ZIP have access to
high speed. Xfinity (Comcast) offers 150 Mbps in some parts of your
ZIP. Just not you. g

Oh you've got me pegged pretty close there

Cable comes up short in several directions. There is also a small
Telephone Co just to my north-west that has some cool stuff.
Coopersville is in a unique position. About halfway in between Muskegon
and Grand Rapids. Also I-96 Expressway goes right by it. Businesses
have been setting up shop there for years now hoping to split the
difference.

I grew up here so it wasn't a conscious choice of being "rural" or not.
Just never found a reason to move elsewhere. I knew pretty much
everyone (their names) within a four square mile radius when I was a
kid. Not so much anymore. It would be even less rural if zoning easily
allowed less than ten acre lots. Either a big farmer has it now or it
has been chopped up...

I vaguely remember the area. I lived in Lansing, my girlfriend lived
in Greenville, and we often drove out I-96 to Grand Haven. I remember
liking it a lot.

AT&T has claimed (they tried to up-sell me when I went with a local DSL
provider) they can give me 6 Mbps U-verse. Neighbor's have been begging
them for it and they tell me 1.5 Mbs is all they offer out here. Now
who should I believe ;-)

When it comes to DSL, believe your eyes. g I was so glad when our
cable company introduced Internet service 15 years ago and I was able
to drop Verizon DSL. It was unreliable and generally stunk.

--
Ed Huntress