Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wild Idea

Some time ago I managed to tip my compressor over , landed on the pulley .
The pulley survived , but the connecting rods didn't . Snapped 'em both off
just above the big end . Fast forward to now , and the replacement pump I
bought is blowing oil ... from excessive blowby . I haven't pulled it down
yet , but the rings have gotta be shot or broken of just plain crap to begin
with cheap pump ... .
And this is where the wild idea comes in . The rods in the cheap pump
might fit , or they might not ... and if they don't I'm thinking about TIG
welding the broken ones back together . I can build a fixture to hold the
two bearings in alignment . I'd be most worried about the temper of the
repaired area , but a quick chill and a few days aging might get it back
enough .
Is this a waste of time , or do I stand a decent chance of having this
work ?
--
Snag
out in

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-09-15, Snag's Shop wrote:
[...]

It is a waste of time, good compressors are not that expensive used.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Snag's Shop" wrote:

[...]

Don't know about the rods... there's probably a lot of variables...

However, before going to all the trouble, are you sure the crankshaft is
still straight? How about the crankcase and 'main' bearing's?

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, September 14, 2013 9:57:02 PM UTC-4, Snag's Shop wrote:

Is this a waste of time , or do I stand a decent chance of having this

work ?

--

Snag

out in

the shop

Probably a wasto of time. Kind of depends on how good the compressor was before the acident. If it is a good compressor then replacement parts are availablo. So you could try the repair and if it does not work , then order replacement parts. But probably makes more sense to look at Craigslist for a new to you compressor.

If the motor and tank are good, you can buy a replacement pump.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Northern Hydraulic, and Harbor Freight both
have replacement compressor, without having
to buy the motor, tank, etc.

Maybe some oil additive, to reduce blowby?
Don't know if Marvels Mystery Oil would do
any good in a compressor crankcase.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/15/2013 7:52 AM, wrote:

But probably makes more sense to look at Craigslist for a new to you compressor.

If the motor and tank are good, you can buy a replacement pump.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My ignorant guess, is that any repair to a piston
rod is going to fail at the worst possible moment.
Some things just can't be repaired, and get it
right. Suppose you weld, and the weight throws
the balance off, and now you've got a wicked
vibration.

you don't mention if this is belt or direct drive,
and how many amps, HP, and so on. My thought is
to look for a cheap replacement, Ebay or Craigs
list. Or, buy the pump from Northern Tools, or
Harbor Freight.

I like the concept of repairing things, but this
isn't one of those moments.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/14/2013 9:57 PM, Snag's Shop wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Erik" wrote in message
In article ,
"Snag's Shop" wrote:

[...]

When it landed it pushed the crank bearings out the other side . Crank
still spins easily , and it looks like the bearings just need to be pushed
the rest of the way back in place . There is no or very little axial load ,
just the radial loads .
--
Snag
and it is/was a

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 07:28:16 -0500, "Snag" wrote:

"Erik" wrote in message
In article ,
"Snag's Shop" wrote:

[...]

If it is an IR you should be able to buy rods. They are aluminum or
sintered iron???. If Iron I'd be awfull tempted to braze them. If
aluminum, tig them. Weigh them first on an accurate scale and grind to
match after welding/brazing. It's worth a try. They are not under nEAR
the load they would be on an engine.

Or see if any Brigs and Stratton or Tecumseh or whatever rod can be
modified to fit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/14/2013 21:57, Snag's Shop wrote:
[...]

MacGuyver dis it with a silver dollar. G

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Didn't he also use jumper cables, and a car
battery that he conveniently found in the
pole barn where he needed to repair the
propeller for the old air plane with the
silver dollar? Then he ground and balanced
the propeller, and flew away from the bad
guys who were shooting at him with automatic
weapons? Was that the Mac episode?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/15/2013 10:33 AM, Steve Walker wrote:
might fit , or they might not ... and if they don't I'm thinking about
TIG
welding the broken ones back together . I can build a fixture to hold the

MacGuyver dis it with a silver dollar. G

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I have a 5hp Kellog American in perfect shape except for a crack in the
tank by one of the legs...CHEAP!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, September 15, 2013 5:26:42 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My ignorant guess, is that any repair to a piston

rod is going to fail at the worst possible moment.

Some things just can't be repaired, and get it

right. Suppose you weld, and the weight throws

the balance off, and now you've got a wicked

vibration.

you don't mention if this is belt or direct drive,

and how many amps, HP, and so on. My thought is

to look for a cheap replacement, Ebay or Craigs

list. Or, buy the pump from Northern Tools, or

Harbor Freight.

I like the concept of repairing things, but this

isn't one of those moments.

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

[...]

Neither Garbage Freight or Northern are the best place to buy compressor pumps.

This place is far better:

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/504413.htm

When you buy IR all you are doing is paying for a name that once meant something. Suggest you and others investigate where the majority of compressor pumps are made. Eaton Compressor will tell you who makes theirs and how long they keep parts for them in stock. Eaton tells me they will only carry compressor pumps that they have dual sources for. Compressor pumps Eaton sold 15 years ago they can still get parts for at reasonable prices.

You're welcome for the education ... now please put me back in your newsgroup kill file. Everyday I'm thankful that idiots like Larry Jackass, Tom Gardner and other lame losers don't read what I post.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, September 15, 2013 11:44:19 AM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Direct bare pump link for those too lazy to take the time to read Eaton Compressors website:

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/518643.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/14/2013 9:57 PM, Snag's Shop wrote:
Some time ago I managed to tip my compressor over , landed on the
pulley .
The pulley survived , but the connecting rods didn't . Snapped 'em
both off just above the big end . Fast forward to now , and the
replacement pump I

All this talk of repairing con-rods is silly. Make new ones, if you
must.

BUT! My real question is this: What sort of situation would have
someone tipping over and allowing to fall a compressor WHILE IT WAS
FRIGGIN' RUNNING?

There is no way that could have damaged the con-rods if it were off.
So...
What the HELL did you do? (And maybe WHY would be a good one, too.)

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 14:01:37 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

On 9/14/2013 9:57 PM, Snag's Shop wrote:
Some time ago I managed to tip my compressor over , landed on the
pulley .
The pulley survived , but the connecting rods didn't . Snapped 'em
both off just above the big end . Fast forward to now , and the
replacement pump I

All this talk of repairing con-rods is silly. Make new ones, if you
must.

What, a little plumber's tape and Chiwanese screws won't last?

BUT! My real question is this: What sort of situation would have
someone tipping over and allowing to fall a compressor WHILE IT WAS
FRIGGIN' RUNNING?

Simple. The wide receiver didn't see it in his way as he ran for the
touchdown in Snag's shop. Either that or the QB tossed the beer too
high and the receiver didn't see the comp.

There is no way that could have damaged the con-rods if it were off.
So...
What the HELL did you do? (And maybe WHY would be a good one, too.)

I'd like to know how they were damaged, too. You shouldn't see that
unless he snapped the head off the sump and the little legs done
bended too much. But the crank would be the most likely piece to
break, not either of the rods, and certainly not both. Pistons are
lightweight.

--
Try not to become a man of success but
rather try to become a man of value.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
On 9/14/2013 9:57 PM, Snag's Shop wrote:
Some time ago I managed to tip my compressor over , landed on the
pulley .
The pulley survived , but the connecting rods didn't . Snapped 'em
both off just above the big end . Fast forward to now , and the
replacement pump I

All this talk of repairing con-rods is silly. Make new ones, if you
must.

BUT! My real question is this: What sort of situation would have
someone tipping over and allowing to fall a compressor WHILE IT WAS
FRIGGIN' RUNNING?

There is no way that could have damaged the con-rods if it were off.
So...
What the HELL did you do? (And maybe WHY would be a good one, too.)

LLoyd

Actually , I was backing a load of lumber in and the end of a 2x4 12 feet
long pushed it over . I was watching the other side to be sure I didn't back
into one of the legs of the carport that's now my shop space . Compressor
wasn't running , wasn't even hooked up . It landed on the pulley , pushed
the crank bearings out and snapped both rods . eBay has 'em for 22 bucks
each , and I shoulda repaired it then ...
The point has been rendered moot . I tore the new unit down , discovered
that the top 2 rings on both pistons appear to have been installed upside
down . Bottom edge of both was shiny , top edge has never touched the
cylinder wall . No wonder there was blowby ! So I did a light hone on both
cylinders and turned the rings over , seems to have solved the problem . But
next trip to Memphis I'm bringing the other pump up for parts to repair the
one with busted rods .
--
Snag
out in

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag's Shop" fired this volley in
:

Actually , I was backing a load of lumber in and the end of a 2x4 12
feet
long pushed it over .

Amazing. I cannot even conceive of moving that far, that hard, against
something I could _feel_and_hear_ when I hit it -- even in a large pickup
truck.

Oh, well. If the con-rods are only $22 each, it can't be much of
compressor pump, anyway.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
"Snag's Shop" fired this volley in
:

Actually , I was backing a load of lumber in and the end of a 2x4 12
feet
long pushed it over .

Amazing. I cannot even conceive of moving that far, that hard, against
something I could _feel_and_hear_ when I hit it -- even in a large pickup
truck.

Oh, well. If the con-rods are only $22 each, it can't be much of
compressor pump, anyway.

Lloyd

Ya know Lloyd I used to have respect for you . You weren't there , don't
know the situation or even what the compressor looks like . And yet you feel
you need to judge me - and to judge my equipment to boot ! Everyone isn't
flush enough to buy the very best of everything . I consider myself lucky to
have what I do , whether top-of-the-line or barely adequate .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, September 15, 2013 3:34:56 PM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Oh, well. If the con-rods are only $22 each, it can't be much of

compressor pump, anyway.

http://eatoncompressor.wiredprreview.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" fired this volley in news:l15l1p$kdi$1@dont-
email.me:

. And yet you feel
you need to judge me

I did NOT judge you. I said ____I____ could not imagine doing that.

I know of a lot of folks who could (both imagine AND do it).

I don't judge them, either.

But I wasn't 'judging' about con-rods. If they're that cheap, they're
"cheap". It's not a matter of what you can or can't afford. That's a
statement about the quality of the unit.

I've often been in situations where I couldn't afford the 'best'. But I
recognized the stuff I could afford as being whatever quality it was.

I never got mad at someone else who did, too.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, September 15, 2013 5:57:26 PM UTC-7, Snag wrote:

. 3.70...

[...]

Lloyd is right but too polite. You're a ****ing moron.

One doesn't need to spend huge dollars when it comes to compressors. You just need to do a lot of homework, like EA once did. EA actually got me motivated to go further than he did and that's when I discovered where almost all commercial compressor pumps are made and also Eaton Compressor.

This newsgroup sucks without EA. What we have now is way too many morons like you, Larry Jackass, iggy, Harold V. etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 20:06:13 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Snag" fired this volley in news:l15l1p$kdi$1@dont-
email.me:

. And yet you feel
you need to judge me

I did NOT judge you. I said ____I____ could not imagine doing that.

I know of a lot of folks who could (both imagine AND do it).

I don't judge them, either.

But I wasn't 'judging' about con-rods. If they're that cheap, they're
"cheap". It's not a matter of what you can or can't afford. That's a
statement about the quality of the unit.

I've often been in situations where I couldn't afford the 'best'. But I
recognized the stuff I could afford as being whatever quality it was.

I never got mad at someone else who did, too.

Lloyd

Sometimes things (parts) are sold at a decent price - sometmes at
overinflated prices. What is a simple low-stress connecting rod
REA:LLY worth???? Briggs, Tecumseh and Kohler run $15 to $90 online.
These are for an ENGINE that runs 3600 RPM. The compressor runs closer
to 600 RPM and experiences significantly less compressive stress as
well as a lot less stretch.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in
. 3.70:

They're also for engines that are made in the tens of millions per year
to be 'throwaway' devices, and for which they need to supply parts to
make their market buy the engines.

You also might compare the prices.

I can buy a name-brand 5HP engine all-up for $150 bucks on sale. Good
quality industrial quality air pumps sell for eight times that; usually no
sales.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 20:37:30 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in
.3.70:

They're also for engines that are made in the tens of millions per year
to be 'throwaway' devices, and for which they need to supply parts to
make their market buy the engines.

You also might compare the prices.

I can buy a name-brand 5HP engine all-up for $150 bucks on sale. Good
quality industrial quality air pumps sell for eight times that; usually no
sales.

Lloyd

Lets be fair - buy a brand new 5 HP Honda ir Briggs Intek engine
from an authorized dealer - it will NOT be $150. Closer to $500 up
here. A Power Fist or Bolton is $150.

And the ( 5-7HP 2 stage) compressor head from Power Fist is $600 list
- likely $400 on sale. A 3HP single stage is $200. A 5hp 3 cyl is
$400.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 19:57:26 -0500, "Snag" wrote:

.3.70...
[...]

Gentlemen...this all falls into the infamous "**** happens" catagory.

Everyone here...everyone...has had a similar thing happen to them at
least..at least..once in their lives.

Shrug...get over it and get on with your lives.

Gunner

"The socialist movement takes great pains to circulate frequently new labels for its ideally constructed state.
Each worn-out label is replaced by another which raises hopes of an ultimate solution of the insoluble basic
problem of Socialism, until it becomes obvious that nothing has been changed but the name.
The most recent slogan is "State Capitalism."[Fascism] It is not commonly realized that this covers nothing more
than what used to be called Planned Economy and State Socialism, and that State Capitalism, Planned Economy,
and State Socialism diverge only in non-essentials from the "classic" ideal of egalitarian Socialism. - Ludwig von Mises (1922)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, September 15, 2013 8:29:38 PM UTC-7, Snag wrote:
And once more jon jumps on the "pile on" bandwagon . Tell ya what jon , how

about you **** yourself on the way to my bozobin ?

Pile on this bandwagon you worthless, top posting, moron:

You claimed I was already in your bozo bin so how about you **** off and die... immediately.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, September 15, 2013 9:30:41 PM UTC-7, Gunner Asch wrote:

Gentlemen...this all falls into the infamous "**** happens" catagory.

In your case, Wieber it's: "lying happens".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wild Idea: repair a compressor

Most folks would consider me to be trailer trash.
I live alone in a 1974 Fairmont, which is cram full
of what most folks consider clutter. With about
enough floor space to walk. The oilless compressor
I was given would have been a HUGE step forward
for me, and may be a big step some day if it's ever
working. I type on a PC that's over five years old,
don't own a laptop that works worth a hoot (I was
given one which weighs about 20 pounds and can handle
win 98 at maximum, and has 5.7 GB drive). My two
vehicles are both over 200k miles, and are 1995 and
1998 models. I'm blessed for what I have, and can't
afford anything newer or better. If I knocked over a
compressor and broke con rod, I'd really be in a tough
spot. I have great respect for a man who asks in public
(like this) for ideas how to use it up, make it do,
fix it up, or do without. My respect for Snag and
for Gunner is going up at present.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/16/2013 12:30 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ya know Lloyd I used to have respect for you . You weren't there , don't
know the situation or even what the compressor looks like . And yet you feel
you need to judge me - and to judge my equipment to boot ! Everyone isn't
flush enough to buy the very best of everything . I consider myself lucky to
have what I do , whether top-of-the-line or barely adequate .
--
Snag

Gentlemen...this all falls into the infamous "**** happens" catagory.

Everyone here...everyone...has had a similar thing happen to them at
least..at least..once in their lives.

Shrug...get over it and get on with your lives.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wild Idea (and judgement of others)

As my Mom describes it, she's a depression baby. She
was born about the end of the Great Depression. They
never knew when the next "whatever" would come along,
so people lived frugal, and didn't throw things away.
Repaired what they had (like welding up a piston
rod). This way of life ended up coming down to me, and
I live the life of a depression baby.

Other folks took to heart "happy days are here again!"
and kicked up their heels, threw everything away, and
live for the moment.

I don't think either side really understands the other.
I know I don't understand people who live in empty houses,
and buy food on the way home, every day, one day's food
at a time, and nothing in the fridge. I'm sure they don't
understand me, with my full cabinets, and piles of clutter.

I think it's a shame that there is less compassion in the
world now days. People who lack compassion are worthless
f'ing moron idiots. ;-)

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/15/2013 11:29 PM, Snag wrote:
Ya know Lloyd I used to have respect for you.
You weren't there , don't know the situation or even
what the compressor looks like . And yet you feel
you need to judge me - and to judge my equipment to
boot ! Everyone isn't flush enough to buy the very best
of everything . I consider myself lucky to have what I
do , whether top-of-the-line or barely adequate .

--

Snag
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-09-16, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Most folks would consider me to be trailer trash.

For a good reason that you outlined below.

I live alone in a 1974 Fairmont, which is cram full of what most
folks consider clutter. With about enough floor space to walk. The
oilless compressor I was given would have been a HUGE step forward
for me, and may be a big step some day if it's ever working. I type
on a PC that's over five years old, don't own a laptop that works
worth a hoot (I was given one which weighs about 20 pounds and can
handle win 98 at maximum, and has 5.7 GB drive). My two vehicles are
both over 200k miles, and are 1995 and 1998 models. I'm blessed for
what I have, and can't afford anything newer or better. If I knocked
over a compressor and broke con rod, I'd really be in a tough
spot. I have great respect for a man who asks in public (like this)
for ideas how to use it up, make it do, fix it up, or do without. My
respect for Snag and for Gunner is going up at present.

As for Snag's story, **** happens and anyone who does a lot of work,
is bound to have minor mishaps. As for doing repairs, fixing those
broken pumps definitely is not economically sensible.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon fired this volley in
:

I don't think either side really understands the other.

I think you don't understand what I wrote.

I fix everything I possibly can (and I can fix a lot of stuff, from AC to
broken hearts). Most con-rods aren't in that genre of things you can
just nail back together. If you don't have an intimate understanding of
the con-rod alloy, the right welding alloy, the right shielding, the
right heat treatment, and the best of all possible welding skils (with
the ability to totally avoid embrittlement of the weld), then you're just
****ing up a rope. And what if they bent before they broke, or warped
during welding? Does he have the ability to straighten them without
breaking them again? I mean dead-to-nuts straight? 'Cause, if not, they
must be re-lined on both ends... It's a fool's errand.

I did not condemn him for asking about it, I told him it wasn't worth his
while. I didn't condemn him for tipping over the compressor, either. I
said I couldn't see ME doing that. He inferred from that some sort of
condescention or condemnation.

My parents lived frugally, too, and taught me all that. I no longer eat
spoiled cheese, and vinegary-smelling hamburger meat, and slimy two-week-
old lettuce (because "it'll do") like my mom was prone to do, but I save
every buck I can, and never buy new unless 'new' will pay for itself.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 09:09:39 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
[...]

And, depending on the age of the compressor, the con rods could be
made of PM. Even automobile engine con rods are often made that way
today.

That was my thought when he reported that they broke. Forged con rods
require a hell of a beating to break.

If it's PM, toss it. If it's cast, toss it. If it's forged, toss it
and save yourself a lot of grief.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 16, 2013 10:09:39 AM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

I didn't condemn him for tipping over the compressor, either. I

said I couldn't see ME doing that. He inferred from that some sort of

condescention or condemnation.

LLoyd

It sounded condescending regardless of how you intended it. I am not trying to be scolding you, just saying that it is easy to type something that is not perceived as you intended it.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, September 14, 2013 9:57:02 PM UTC-4, Snag's Shop wrote:

Is this a waste of time , or do I stand a decent chance of having this

work ?

--

Snag

out in

the shop

I think it is a waste of time if you have some better things to do. But if you have spare time, then do it. It might work and if it does not, you will have learned from it. But only worth doing if there is nothing else to do.

I do a bunch of things that are not worth doing. Usually what I learn is that doing something takes a lot more time than I thought it would.

Dan

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Yep! Remember when Roger dropped my brand-new Bridgeport and your
friend supplied me with the needed parts? Talk about luck! How is he
lately? Need any brushes?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/16/2013 9:19 AM, Ignoramus14718 wrote:
On 2013-09-16, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Only as a challenge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" fired this volley in
:

It sounded condescending regardless of how you intended it. I am not
trying to be scolding you, just saying that it is easy to type
something that is not perceived as you intended it.

And I've already stated that was not my intent.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 16, 2013 9:33:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, September 16, 2013 10:09:39 AM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

I didn't condemn him for tipping over the compressor, either. I

said I couldn't see ME doing that. He inferred from that some sort of

condescention or condemnation.

LLoyd

It sounded condescending regardless of how you intended it. I am not trying to be scolding you, just saying that it is easy to type something that is not perceived as you intended it.

Dan

No it didn't sound condescending. It sounded like the truth that the OP can't handle.