Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Next Wild Hare Idea - a Rain Stick

Adding actual movement to a turning is interesting. Adding movement AND
sounds seemed something to explore. The simplist way I could think of
to do that was to use the "rain stick" idea - a long hollow tube, with
some groves in the inside surface and some sticks poked through it - for
a bunch of small things to bounce over as the "stick" is turned over,
end for end. Could use rice, unpopped pop corn, beans, seeds - or
birdshot or ball bearings - or any combination of any of those.

Simple enough - make a tube of some sort, about 2 to 3 feet long, drill
some holes for dowels, turn some grooves on the inside, turn some end
caps - DONE!

That was the original idea, I have difficulty with K.I.S.S. (Keep It
Simple Stupid) - so of course I had to go and make things less simple.
I don't want anything other than the wood to show on the outside - no
little round circles on any surface from the dowels. That meant an
inner and an outer tube. And turning grooves in the inside wall of the
inside tube is limited - both by the capacity of a JET mini/midi, and
the tools I have that I can cut grooves with - in the inside of
something with an I.D. of about an inch and a half.

Then there was the What OTHER Sounds possibilities - bells, twangers, .
.. .

Here's how this one's gone so far. Will add pages as things progress

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...ainStick1.html