Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wild Idea (and judgement of others)

jon_banquer fired this volley in
:

No it didn't sound condescending. It sounded like the truth that the
OP can't handle.

That didn't help. No matter what you think of Snag, I did not intend for
my statement to offend; only to state a simple fact.

Some things in my shop are important enough that they garner special
attenion from me when I'm working around them. Some have sharp thingies
that will hurt me. Some are 'mission-critical'. Some are just
treasured.

I - personally - cannot imagine working in a way around those 'special
things' that would do them or me any harm. That's all I said, and all I
meant.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wild Idea

On Saturday, September 14, 2013 9:57:02 PM UTC-4, Snag's Shop wrote:
Some time ago I managed to tip my compressor over , landed on the pulley .

The pulley survived , but the connecting rods didn't . Snapped 'em both off

just above the big end . Fast forward to now , and the replacement pump I

bought is blowing oil ... from excessive blowby . I haven't pulled it down

yet , but the rings have gotta be shot or broken of just plain crap to begin

with cheap pump ... .

And this is where the wild idea comes in . The rods in the cheap pump

might fit , or they might not ... and if they don't I'm thinking about TIG

welding the broken ones back together . I can build a fixture to hold the

two bearings in alignment . I'd be most worried about the temper of the

repaired area , but a quick chill and a few days aging might get it back

enough .

Is this a waste of time , or do I stand a decent chance of having this

work ?

--

Snag

out in

the shop

If one of those repaired rods breaks, then you can find out how expensive the other compressor parts are - it could take out a piston, the crank case or...

Craigslist, ebay, northern tool, harbor freight are full of cheap compressors.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 16, 2013 11:01:14 AM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
jon_banquer fired this volley in

:

No it didn't sound condescending. It sounded like the truth that the

OP can't handle.

That didn't help. No matter what you think of Snag, I did not intend for

my statement to offend; only to state a simple fact.

Some things in my shop are important enough that they garner special

attenion from me when I'm working around them. Some have sharp thingies

that will hurt me. Some are 'mission-critical'. Some are just

treasured.

I - personally - cannot imagine working in a way around those 'special

things' that would do them or me any harm. That's all I said, and all I

meant.

Lloyd

I think Snag is a ****ing moron. I felt that way long before he started this thread.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 16, 2013 11:05:03 AM UTC-7, rangerssuck wrote:

Craigslist, ebay, northern tool, harbor freight are full of cheap compressors.

.... which more often than not aren't worth the time of day to spend time looking at:

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/518643.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

If it tipped over and the pulley didn't bend BUT it broke the rods I
would say it was junk to begin with. Just how much play is in that
crankshaft to allow it to shift far enough to break the rods?

TIG will just cause problems in the HAZ. Just holding them in alignment
and welding won't be much good since the rods will then build up
stresses in other areas, those will be enough to cause flex or breakage
as well.

If this is a good brand you can probably buy all the parts easy enough.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 17:15:09 -0500, "Snag's Shop"
wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
On 9/14/2013 9:57 PM, Snag's Shop wrote:
Some time ago I managed to tip my compressor over , landed on the
pulley .
The pulley survived , but the connecting rods didn't . Snapped 'em
both off just above the big end . Fast forward to now , and the
replacement pump I

All this talk of repairing con-rods is silly. Make new ones, if you
must.

BUT! My real question is this: What sort of situation would have
someone tipping over and allowing to fall a compressor WHILE IT WAS
FRIGGIN' RUNNING?

There is no way that could have damaged the con-rods if it were off.
So...
What the HELL did you do? (And maybe WHY would be a good one, too.)

LLoyd

Actually , I was backing a load of lumber in and the end of a 2x4 12 feet
long pushed it over . I was watching the other side to be sure I didn't back
into one of the legs of the carport that's now my shop space . Compressor
wasn't running , wasn't even hooked up . It landed on the pulley , pushed
the crank bearings out and snapped both rods . eBay has 'em for 22 bucks
each , and I shoulda repaired it then ...
The point has been rendered moot . I tore the new unit down , discovered
that the top 2 rings on both pistons appear to have been installed upside
down . Bottom edge of both was shiny , top edge has never touched the
cylinder wall . No wonder there was blowby ! So I did a light hone on both
cylinders and turned the rings over , seems to have solved the problem . But
next trip to Memphis I'm bringing the other pump up for parts to repair the
one with busted rods .
--
Snag
out in

Greetings Snag,
I've been reading this thread and if it was me I would weld the damn
things. Only because it would be good practice. If the compressor
ended upworking then that's great. If the rods break catastrophically
then you just get some entertainment. And a great story to tell
friends when you are shooting the breeze. I would not depend on the
machine though. Make sure you have another compressor online and ready
to go. And some advice for your other pump. The last pump I bought
came with instructions to run unloaded for an hour before regular use.
Just let it pump to the atmosphere. Failure to do so would cause lots
of blow by. The pump was from Grainger.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
[...]

I tried ... one came out very nice , the other was a miserable failure .
New rods will be here later this week . Learned a lot about welding
oil-soaked aluminum ...
That new pump came in a very beat up box , no instructions at all . It had
been turned upside down at some point and all the oil was gone . Had some
other problems too but they were minor . I ended up getting a 25% refund ...
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wild Idea: repair a compressor

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 08:19:07 -0500, Ignoramus14718

On 2013-09-16, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Most folks would consider me to be trailer trash.

For a good reason that you outlined below.

Wow, he's not just a proselytizing prick of a Jesus Freak, but
homeless trailer trash, too? Never have my filters fit so well.

I live alone in a 1974 Fairmont, which is cram full of what most
folks consider clutter. With about enough floor space to walk. The
oilless compressor I was given would have been a HUGE step forward
for me, and may be a big step some day if it's ever working. I type
on a PC that's over five years old, don't own a laptop that works
worth a hoot (I was given one which weighs about 20 pounds and can
handle win 98 at maximum, and has 5.7 GB drive). My two vehicles are
both over 200k miles, and are 1995 and 1998 models. I'm blessed for
what I have, and can't afford anything newer or better. If I knocked
over a compressor and broke con rod, I'd really be in a tough
spot. I have great respect for a man who asks in public (like this)
for ideas how to use it up, make it do, fix it up, or do without. My
respect for Snag and for Gunner is going up at present.

He'd better be looking waaaay up when he does that.

As for Snag's story, **** happens and anyone who does a lot of work,
is bound to have minor mishaps. As for doing repairs, fixing those
broken pumps definitely is not economically sensible.

Truth!

--
Try not to become a man of success but
rather try to become a man of value.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-09-16, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

The Great **** is here!

The Great **** is here!

It's world class butt kisser extraordinai Larry Jackass.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag's Shop" wrote in message
[...]

The chance that it will work without issue is virtually non-existent.
The chance that you'll get proper alignment when you assemble the broken
pieces is not good, and the notion that they will remain where you put them
when they are welded borders on the absurd. All you'll need is a loss of
parallelism between the wrist pin and crank journals and it won't perform
well, if at all.

Consider this. If the rods snapped when the compressor tipped over--they
most certainly must be made of gray iron, which does not enjoy being welded.

My money says you should pursue other options. However, if you do continue
the course, I'd enjoy hearing how it turns out.

Harold