Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold & Susan Vordos Harold & Susan Vordos is offline

Default Wild Idea

"Snag's Shop" wrote in message
Some time ago I managed to tip my compressor over , landed on the pulley
. The pulley survived , but the connecting rods didn't . Snapped 'em both
off just above the big end . Fast forward to now , and the replacement
pump I bought is blowing oil ... from excessive blowby . I haven't pulled
it down yet , but the rings have gotta be shot or broken of just plain
crap to begin with cheap pump ... .
And this is where the wild idea comes in . The rods in the cheap pump
might fit , or they might not ... and if they don't I'm thinking about TIG
welding the broken ones back together . I can build a fixture to hold the
two bearings in alignment . I'd be most worried about the temper of the
repaired area , but a quick chill and a few days aging might get it back
enough .
Is this a waste of time , or do I stand a decent chance of having this
work ?
--
Snag
out in

The chance that it will work without issue is virtually non-existent.
The chance that you'll get proper alignment when you assemble the broken
pieces is not good, and the notion that they will remain where you put them
when they are welded borders on the absurd. All you'll need is a loss of
parallelism between the wrist pin and crank journals and it won't perform
well, if at all.

Consider this. If the rods snapped when the compressor tipped over--they
most certainly must be made of gray iron, which does not enjoy being welded.

My money says you should pursue other options. However, if you do continue
the course, I'd enjoy hearing how it turns out.

Harold