Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wild Idea

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 17:15:09 -0500, "Snag's Shop"
wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
On 9/14/2013 9:57 PM, Snag's Shop wrote:
Some time ago I managed to tip my compressor over , landed on the
pulley .
The pulley survived , but the connecting rods didn't . Snapped 'em
both off just above the big end . Fast forward to now , and the
replacement pump I

All this talk of repairing con-rods is silly. Make new ones, if you
must.

BUT! My real question is this: What sort of situation would have
someone tipping over and allowing to fall a compressor WHILE IT WAS
FRIGGIN' RUNNING?

There is no way that could have damaged the con-rods if it were off.
So...
What the HELL did you do? (And maybe WHY would be a good one, too.)

LLoyd

Actually , I was backing a load of lumber in and the end of a 2x4 12 feet
long pushed it over . I was watching the other side to be sure I didn't back
into one of the legs of the carport that's now my shop space . Compressor
wasn't running , wasn't even hooked up . It landed on the pulley , pushed
the crank bearings out and snapped both rods . eBay has 'em for 22 bucks
each , and I shoulda repaired it then ...
The point has been rendered moot . I tore the new unit down , discovered
that the top 2 rings on both pistons appear to have been installed upside
down . Bottom edge of both was shiny , top edge has never touched the
cylinder wall . No wonder there was blowby ! So I did a light hone on both
cylinders and turned the rings over , seems to have solved the problem . But
next trip to Memphis I'm bringing the other pump up for parts to repair the
one with busted rods .
--
Snag
out in

Greetings Snag,
I've been reading this thread and if it was me I would weld the damn
things. Only because it would be good practice. If the compressor
ended upworking then that's great. If the rods break catastrophically
then you just get some entertainment. And a great story to tell
friends when you are shooting the breeze. I would not depend on the
machine though. Make sure you have another compressor online and ready
to go. And some advice for your other pump. The last pump I bought
came with instructions to run unloaded for an hour before regular use.
Just let it pump to the atmosphere. Failure to do so would cause lots
of blow by. The pump was from Grainger.
Eric