Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Another Wild Hare Idea - MOVEMENT with MAGNETS

I like doing pieces that behave unexpectedly - specifically - that move.

While at Office Depot picking up some push pins I found some 4mm
diameter,
10mm long cylindrical magnets - strong little magnets - hmmmmmm - MAGLEV
(magnetic levitation).

Here's where the magnets took me.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...etsIdeas1.html

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"charlie b" wrote in message
I like doing pieces that behave unexpectedly - specifically - that move.

While at Office Depot picking up some push pins I found some 4mm
diameter,
10mm long cylindrical magnets - strong little magnets - hmmmmmm - MAGLEV
(magnetic levitation).

Here's where the magnets took me.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...etsIdeas1.html

charlie b

Another really cool idea! Thanks for sharing.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Yet another excellent idea.
I particularly like the lidded box and if I can find the magnets I will have
a go at it, with your permission.

Tom

"LDosser" wrote in message
"charlie b" wrote in message
I like doing pieces that behave unexpectedly - specifically - that move.

While at Office Depot picking up some push pins I found some 4mm
diameter,
10mm long cylindrical magnets - strong little magnets - hmmmmmm - MAGLEV
(magnetic levitation).

Here's where the magnets took me.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...etsIdeas1.html

charlie b

Another really cool idea! Thanks for sharing.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:22:32 -0600, charlie b wrote
(in message ):

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...etsIdeas1.html

This is a pretty neat idea. I particularly like the setup for lidded boxes,
to secure the lid in place - or lift the lid; very elegant.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom:

You did have your tongue firmly in your cheek when you asked for
"permission" - right? I doubt this is a new idea. I come up with
previously invented "inventions" all the time. Turns out somebody
already thought of the wheel! Who knew?

I share Wild Hare Ideas in the hope that somebody will try one and have
fun playing
with a possibility. When you come up with an application - and had some
fun doing it - let us know. I can put it up on my site so you can share
your creation if you'd like.

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom:
Magnets are hard to pull apart but easy to slide apart os twisting
the lid breaks the pull and more twisting initiates repelling. Should
work.

If you could incorporate some iron bearing material in the rim of
a small lidded box and had a hinged magnetic finial, you would
rock it over and break the magnetic connection to the rim.

Magnets have all kinds of interesting possibilities. If you come
up with some - please share.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Another of your always good ideas, Charlie. I'll try and traipse a
little farther outside the box. I've forgotten if you've used "wlld
hair" (sic) already. Maybe in your cliches, but if so what could you do
with an MRI (magnetic resonance image)? Maybe a turned skull box held
together with magnets and when opened reveals anatomical cerebral folds
and fissures, ie. woodturning beads and coves.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch:

Have thought about combining MRI images of a chunk of wood - converted
to a
3D file - with a virtual 3D lathe (think google's SketchUp) and virtual
3D turning tools - to see what's inside a virtual version of the chunk
of wood - as you virtually turn it - with the option of trying various
centerlines and profiles.

MRI images of the joinery in some chinese furniture - which could then
be virtually disassembled and examined might be interesting. And once
you've got a virtual version of something - you can "print" an actual
solid object. Having a library of solid models of joints could be
really nice to have.

As usual Arch - thanks for an outside the box perspective.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Arch" wrote in message

Another of your always good ideas, Charlie. I'll try and traipse a
little farther outside the box. I've forgotten if you've used "wlld
hair" (sic) already. Maybe in your cliches, but if so what could you do
with an MRI (magnetic resonance image)? Maybe a turned skull box held
together with magnets and when opened reveals anatomical cerebral folds
and fissures, ie. woodturning beads and coves.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Yeah, that was Farther outside the box! )