Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wild Idea

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 14:01:37 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

On 9/14/2013 9:57 PM, Snag's Shop wrote:
Some time ago I managed to tip my compressor over , landed on the
pulley .
The pulley survived , but the connecting rods didn't . Snapped 'em
both off just above the big end . Fast forward to now , and the
replacement pump I

All this talk of repairing con-rods is silly. Make new ones, if you
must.

What, a little plumber's tape and Chiwanese screws won't last?

BUT! My real question is this: What sort of situation would have
someone tipping over and allowing to fall a compressor WHILE IT WAS
FRIGGIN' RUNNING?

Simple. The wide receiver didn't see it in his way as he ran for the
touchdown in Snag's shop. Either that or the QB tossed the beer too
high and the receiver didn't see the comp.

There is no way that could have damaged the con-rods if it were off.
So...
What the HELL did you do? (And maybe WHY would be a good one, too.)

I'd like to know how they were damaged, too. You shouldn't see that
unless he snapped the head off the sump and the little legs done
bended too much. But the crank would be the most likely piece to
break, not either of the rods, and certainly not both. Pistons are
lightweight.

--
Try not to become a man of success but
rather try to become a man of value.