Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wild Idea (and judgement of others)

Stormin Mormon fired this volley in
:

I don't think either side really understands the other.

I think you don't understand what I wrote.

I fix everything I possibly can (and I can fix a lot of stuff, from AC to
broken hearts). Most con-rods aren't in that genre of things you can
just nail back together. If you don't have an intimate understanding of
the con-rod alloy, the right welding alloy, the right shielding, the
right heat treatment, and the best of all possible welding skils (with
the ability to totally avoid embrittlement of the weld), then you're just
****ing up a rope. And what if they bent before they broke, or warped
during welding? Does he have the ability to straighten them without
breaking them again? I mean dead-to-nuts straight? 'Cause, if not, they
must be re-lined on both ends... It's a fool's errand.

I did not condemn him for asking about it, I told him it wasn't worth his
while. I didn't condemn him for tipping over the compressor, either. I
said I couldn't see ME doing that. He inferred from that some sort of
condescention or condemnation.

My parents lived frugally, too, and taught me all that. I no longer eat
spoiled cheese, and vinegary-smelling hamburger meat, and slimy two-week-
old lettuce (because "it'll do") like my mom was prone to do, but I save
every buck I can, and never buy new unless 'new' will pay for itself.

LLoyd