Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wild Idea

My ignorant guess, is that any repair to a piston
rod is going to fail at the worst possible moment.
Some things just can't be repaired, and get it
right. Suppose you weld, and the weight throws
the balance off, and now you've got a wicked
vibration.

you don't mention if this is belt or direct drive,
and how many amps, HP, and so on. My thought is
to look for a cheap replacement, Ebay or Craigs
list. Or, buy the pump from Northern Tools, or
Harbor Freight.

I like the concept of repairing things, but this
isn't one of those moments.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/14/2013 9:57 PM, Snag's Shop wrote:
Some time ago I managed to tip my compressor over , landed on the pulley .
The pulley survived , but the connecting rods didn't . Snapped 'em both off
just above the big end . Fast forward to now , and the replacement pump I
bought is blowing oil ... from excessive blowby . I haven't pulled it down
yet , but the rings have gotta be shot or broken of just plain crap to begin
with cheap pump ... .
And this is where the wild idea comes in . The rods in the cheap pump
might fit , or they might not ... and if they don't I'm thinking about TIG
welding the broken ones back together . I can build a fixture to hold the
two bearings in alignment . I'd be most worried about the temper of the
repaired area , but a quick chill and a few days aging might get it back
enough .
Is this a waste of time , or do I stand a decent chance of having this
work ?