Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wild Idea

On Sunday, September 15, 2013 5:26:42 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My ignorant guess, is that any repair to a piston

rod is going to fail at the worst possible moment.

Some things just can't be repaired, and get it

right. Suppose you weld, and the weight throws

the balance off, and now you've got a wicked

vibration.

you don't mention if this is belt or direct drive,

and how many amps, HP, and so on. My thought is

to look for a cheap replacement, Ebay or Craigs

list. Or, buy the pump from Northern Tools, or

Harbor Freight.

I like the concept of repairing things, but this

isn't one of those moments.

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

On 9/14/2013 9:57 PM, Snag's Shop wrote:

Some time ago I managed to tip my compressor over , landed on the pulley .

The pulley survived , but the connecting rods didn't . Snapped 'em both off

just above the big end . Fast forward to now , and the replacement pump I

bought is blowing oil ... from excessive blowby . I haven't pulled it down

yet , but the rings have gotta be shot or broken of just plain crap to begin

with cheap pump ... .

And this is where the wild idea comes in . The rods in the cheap pump

might fit , or they might not ... and if they don't I'm thinking about TIG

welding the broken ones back together . I can build a fixture to hold the

two bearings in alignment . I'd be most worried about the temper of the

repaired area , but a quick chill and a few days aging might get it back

enough .

Is this a waste of time , or do I stand a decent chance of having this

work ?

Neither Garbage Freight or Northern are the best place to buy compressor pumps.

This place is far better:

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/504413.htm

When you buy IR all you are doing is paying for a name that once meant something. Suggest you and others investigate where the majority of compressor pumps are made. Eaton Compressor will tell you who makes theirs and how long they keep parts for them in stock. Eaton tells me they will only carry compressor pumps that they have dual sources for. Compressor pumps Eaton sold 15 years ago they can still get parts for at reasonable prices.

You're welcome for the education ... now please put me back in your newsgroup kill file. Everyday I'm thankful that idiots like Larry Jackass, Tom Gardner and other lame losers don't read what I post.