Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Eat Organics - NOT Moi!

On Saturday, March 2, 2013 3:13:43 PM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:
On Mar 2, 12:39*pm, Transition Zone wrote:

"The truth is, that when you throw out the pulp, you are throwing out
most of the fiber and nutrients along with that pulp." *That can
increase health problems."

I don't like how the pulp tastes. If it wasn't for juicing, I would
not be consuming parsley, ginger, spinach, kale or celery. I also
dislike salads. The fiber will have to come from somewhere else.

Jon:

Might I suggest some Metamucil? LOL

I was never a fan of rabbit food myself, until just a few years ago. I now get 10oz-12oz packages of Leafy Romaine salad. I put in some mushrooms, a 6oz can of Crab Meat - 0 carbs, 7g Protein. And for salad dressing I use... everyone is going to say "euuuuwww"... Sugar-Free I-HOP pancake syrup (20 Calories per quarter cup).

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BottleBob wrote:

[...]

I think he should stick with chewing on 2*4s.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 2, 6:30*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
BottleBob wrote:

[...]

Terrell, I think you should stick with brown nosing Wieber. It's one
of the very few things you can do well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 2, 5:07*pm, BottleBob wrote:
[...]

:)

Was told I needed to be on a high fiber diet. I was eating a lot of
baked beans but now I won't because of the sugar. Not sure how I'm
going to handle this.

"I was never a fan of rabbit food myself, until just a few years ago.
I now get 10oz-12oz packages of Leafy Romaine salad. I put in some
mushrooms, a 6oz can of Crab Meat - 0 carbs, 7g Protein. And for
salad dressing I use... everyone is going to say "euuuuwww"... Sugar-
Free I-HOP pancake syrup (20 Calories per quarter cup)."

That's totally ****ing disgusting. Not only that but sugar free means
Spenda or some other artificial sweetener. I'm convinced artificial
sweeteners are very dangerous.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 19:11:46 -0800 (PST), jon_banquer
wrote:

[...]

Flax seed. Buy it whole and grind it -- not too fine -- in your coffee
mill or mini food processor.

No more than two tablespoons at a time, please, and make sure there
are no obstacles between you and the bathroom.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, March 2, 2013 7:11:46 PM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:
On Mar 2, 5:07*pm, BottleBob wrote:

"I was never a fan of rabbit food myself, until just a few years ago.

I now get 10oz-12oz packages of Leafy Romaine salad. I put in some
mushrooms, a 6oz can of Crab Meat - 0 carbs, 7g Protein. And for
salad dressing I use... everyone is going to say "euuuuwww"... Sugar-
Free I-HOP pancake syrup (20 Calories per quarter cup)."

That's totally ****ing disgusting. Not only that but sugar free means
Splenda or some other artificial sweetener. I'm convinced artificial
sweeteners are very dangerous.

Jon:

Yeah, I'll have to admit putting syrup on salad SOUNDS gross. But it sure tastes good.
I sometimes use Calorie-Free Walden Farms salad dressings. But they are VERY high in sodium.

The IHOP syrup DOES use the artificial sweetener sucralose (Splenda). But all artificial sweeteners are not created equal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose

"In determining the safety of sucralose, the FDA reviewed data from more than 110 studies in humans and animals. Many of the studies were designed to identify possible toxic effects, including carcinogenic, reproductive, and neurological effects. No such effects were found, and FDA's approval is based on the finding that sucralose is safe for human consumption." For example, McNeil Nutritional LLC studies submitted as part of its U.S. FDA Food Additive Petition 7A3987 indicated that "in the 2-year rodent bioassays...there was no evidence of carcinogenic activity for either sucralose or its hydrolysis products..."[26]

Safety studies
Results from over 100 animal and clinical studies in the FDA approval process unanimously indicated a lack of risk associated with sucralose intake.[27][28][29][30] However, some adverse effects were seen at doses that significantly exceeded the estimated daily intake (EDI), which is 1.1 mg/kg/day.[31] When the EDI is compared to the intake at which adverse effects are seen, known as the highest no adverse effects limit (HNEL), at 1500 mg/kg/day,[31] there is a large margin of safety. The bulk of sucralose ingested is not absorbed by the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and is directly excreted in the feces, while 11-27% of it is absorbed.[4] The amount absorbed from the GI tract is largely removed from the blood stream by the kidneys and eliminated in the urine, with 20-30% of the absorbed sucralose being metabolized.[4]

And here's an abstract from Pubmed (a science journal archive).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19464334

Abstract
Sucralose is a non-nutritive sweetener used in a broad range of foods and beverages and is the non-nutritive sweetener in retail SPLENDA Sweetening Products, composed of sucralose and common food ingredients. A review of the extensive body of evidence that supports the safety of sucralose is provided. The results of an independent review of a new study investigating the safety of a sucralose-mixture retail product, Granulated SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener, are also discussed. The collective evidence supports the conclusion that the ingredient, sucralose, is safe for use in food and that the sucralose-mixture product, Granulated SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener, is also safe for its intended use.

Now I'll admit that the artificial sweetener Aspartame doesn't fare nearly so well in the health dept.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 2, 8:28*pm, BottleBob wrote:
[...]

I don't want to consume man made chemicals anymore and I don't trust
the FDA. The FDA can't even properly police a peanut butter plant:

http://www.wtvm.com/story/21421925/p...ion-of-america

"The FDA knew the testing protocol of the Peanut Corporation of
America and yet they continued to allow it to go forward."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I'll look into it. Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 2, 8:56*pm, jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_...ion_of_America
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

It has a very dense load of soluble fiber. But inch up on it. If you
start with big doses, you may wish you didn't. g

My diabetic dietician, my heart specialist, and my family physician
all think it's the smartest way to increase your soluble fiber intake.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, March 2, 2013 9:03:31 PM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:
On Mar 2, 8:08*pm, Ed Huntress wrote:

Flax seed. Buy it whole and grind it -- not too fine -- in your coffee
mill or mini food processor.

No more than two tablespoons at a time, please, and make sure there
are no obstacles between you and the bathroom.

--
Ed Huntress

I'll look into it. Thanks.

Jon:

If the results of juicing is *ALL* that you're eating, you'll need to supplement with some protein, since there is very little in juices. You don't want to start losing muscle mass, as your body will cannibalize the protein from your muscle tissue to use to repair & rebuild other parts of your body. You can get protein powder anywhere.
Also helpful to retain muscle mass AND lose weight is burning Calories by exercising. Simple jogging, bike riding, doing jumping jacks, or whatever.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 3, 12:01*am, BottleBob wrote:
[...]

I think your concern about protein is valid so I did some checking and
here is what I found:

http://www.rawpeople.com/index.php?o...594&Itemid=110

And this:

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthrea...ng-and-Protein

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, March 3, 2013 10:22:07 AM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:
On Mar 3, 12:01*am, BottleBob wrote:

Jon:

* * *If the results of juicing is *ALL* that you're eating, you'll need to supplement with some protein, since there is very little in juices. *You don't want to start losing muscle mass, as your body will cannibalize the protein from your muscle tissue to use to repair & rebuild other parts of your body. *You can get protein powder anywhere.

* * *Also helpful to retain muscle mass AND lose weight is burning Calories by exercising. *Simple jogging, bike riding, doing jumping jacks, or whatever.

I think your concern about protein is valid so I did some checking and
here is what I found:

http://www.rawpeople.com/index.php?o...594&Itemid=110

And this:

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthrea...ng-and-Protein

Jon:

Given the biological seriousness to you of getting this wrong, I'm going to spend some time going over it.
Nutrition is a complex subject, and if I were you I wouldn't try "winging" it based on what a few juicer sites, or posters to those sites, may have to say. You have no way of judging what their knowledge base is, OR what their agenda might be.
I think it would be better to go with sites that have more credibility and authority.
First you have to find out what the RDA for protein is.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyon...s/protein.html

Men ages 19 – 70+ = 56g Protein.

That's for sedentary individuals that don't do anything more strenuous than moving a mouse. LOL

http://www.jacn.org/content/19/suppl_5/513S.full

Although contrary to traditional belief, recent scientific information collected on physically active individuals tends to indicate that regular exercise increases daily protein requirements; however, the precise details remain to be worked out. Based on laboratory measures, daily protein requirements are increased by perhaps as much as 100% vs. recommendations for sedentary individuals (1.6–1.8 vs. 0.8 g/kg).

I don't know how much you weigh, but for a 150# guy 1.6g/kg would work out to: 150/2.2 X 1.6 = 109g Protein.

Actually, my own daily Protein intake is much higher than that, and I only weigh in the mid 130's. BUT, it's a low carb, low fat, high protein diet intentionally designed to have my body metabolize some of the protein for energy. It probably wouldn't be any good for you, since it's not optimized for diabetic problems. Heh, I've got my OWN bio-malfunction - hypertension.

Soooo we want a protein intake between 56g and 109g. Let's try and estimate what your juicing gives you.

You said you were using the following recipe:

Ingredients:

1 cucumber
4 celery stalks
2 apples
6-8 leaves kale (Australian tuscan cabbage)
1/2 lemon
1 tbsp ginger

Ingredients:
1 cucumber... 1.65g Protein in one large cucumber
http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...cumber/protein

4 celery stalks... .43 X 4 = 1.72g Protein.
http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...celery/protein

2 apples... .55 X 2 = 1.1g Protein. BTW apples have 100+ Calories of sugar (fructose), which might spike your blood sugar level.
http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...apples/protein

6-8 leaves kale (Australian tuscan cabbage)... I don't know how much 6-8 leaves would weigh. Let me estimate it at 1 cup, which if close would equal about 2g Protein.
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/cook-with-kale

1/2 lemon... .64 / 2 = .32g Protein.
http://www.bitelog.com/lemon-calorie...&re dir=redir

1 tbsp ginger... .49g Protein.
http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...onamount=1.000

Now to add all these up: 1.65 + 1.72 + 1.1 + 2 +.32 +.49 = 7g Protein. That doesn't come anywhere CLOSE to even the sedentary RDA figure of 56g of protein needed for normal body functioning. You'd have to drink like 8 of those per day to get the required 56g of protein, and you could just FORGET about trying for 109g or Protein per day.
I would conclude that the juicer sites you went to are doing you (and others), a disservice with their "information".

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, March 3, 2013 7:50:46 PM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:
On Mar 3, 7:10*pm, BottleBob wrote:

snip

* * * * Now to add all these up: 1.65 + 1.72 + 1.1 + 2 +.32 +.49 = 7g Protein. *That doesn't come anywhere CLOSE to even the sedentary RDA figure of 56g of protein needed for normal body functioning. *You'd have to drink like 8 of those per day to get the required 56g of protein, and you could just FORGET about trying for 109g or Protein per day.

* * * * I would conclude that the juicer sites you went to are doing you (and others), a disservice with their "information".

What do you recommend I eat or take to get the protein you say I need?
I would prefer the least amount of calories possible as I wish to lose
50 pounds to get to what I think is about my ideal weight.

Jon:

The Protein part should be easy enough. Just get some "Whey Protein Isolate", a couple of scoops (the scoop usually comes in the container), is like 60g of Protein - minimal carbs, minimal fat. Just put them in your juices. You probably wouldn't even notice it, taste wise. And if you DO notice it, it's Vanilla.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Adva...ndingMethod=rr

I know you don't like Walmart, but maybe you could sneak in wearing a hoodie and pretend to yourself you're someone else, or something. LOL
No need to pay extravagant prices at a Health Food store, if it's not necessary.

But your juicers may be deficient in other nutrients. I supplement with Vitamins A,E,C,D,D3,Calcium, AND take a Centrum Silver (Mens 50+), for good measure to get all the minor minerals etc, etc.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

But after ingesting the 30 grams of fiber needed each day, 4 months
later, the bathroom was no longer a problem for me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Yeah, you adjust very quickly. But it can be a bit explosive if you
jump in all at once.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Perhaps I'm resistant for the following reason:

I've had no choice other than to take antibiotics for my sinus
problems which lasted well over 20 years. Often, I had to take
antibiotics every 6 weeks for two or more weeks at a time. Almost 3
years ago I had a 6th operation on my sinuses and I was started on
10mg of Prednisone a day. It's been 3 years since I've had a sinus
infection or any upper respiratory problems. Sadly, (for me) taking
antibiotics for so long left me very vulnerable to something called C-
diff which I got. I never even heard of C-diff before I was told this
is what I had. It took a very long time for doctors to diagnose that I
had C-diff. When they finally did tell me I had C-diff, which was
after my 4th visit to the ER, I spent almost two weeks in the
hospital. I'm not anxious to have any more problems with needing to go
to the rest room frequently which is what you have to do when you have
C-diff.

Since I started drinking fresh vegetable juice, I only have to take
Prednisone very infrequently when my sinus passages swell and I have
difficulty breathing through my nose.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

What about eating peanut butter... the kind you buy at a health food
store that's fresh and contains nothing but nuts?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, March 4, 2013 3:15:07 PM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:
On Mar 4, 8:11*am, Transition Zone wrote:

How ever you can get the 30 grams of fiber each day. *When you're over
40, going to those vitamin stores and getting those new cannisters of
fiber and nutrients and putting a scoop of that in water, mixing it up
and having the 30 grams every day that you need. *Its that or health
problems.

I'm not convinced that not getting 30 grams every day of protein would
be bad for me. Perhaps I'm skeptical because I have no faith at all in
the FDA.

Jon:

Protein and fiber are two different things. I don't know if you just used the wrong word, or are confusing the two terms.
The structural components of all your cells are composed of various proteins which can be further broken down into amino acids. Around 60 Billion cells (that's Billion with a "B"), die each day due to apoptosis (programmed cell death).

You ***NEED*** protein intake to rebuild & replace those cells. Egg whites, Greek yogurt, Protein powder, whatever.

Look up apoptosis.

Fiber? Add some prune juice to your juicers. LOL

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, March 4, 2013 5:56:11 PM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:

What about eating peanut butter... the kind you buy at a health food
store that's fresh and contains nothing but nuts?

Jon:

WAAAAY too high of a fat content. Calories through the roof. One cup of peanut butter is more Calories than my total daily BMR amount.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4453/2

And as far as "Organic" produce goes: Some excerpts below from a large Stanford Study.

http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2012/september/organic.html

“There isn’t much difference between organic and conventional foods...."

A team led by Bravata, a senior affiliate with Stanford’s Center for Health Policy, and Crystal Smith-Spangler, MD, MS, an instructor in the school’s Division of General Medical Disciplines and a physician-investigator at VA Palo Alto Health Care System, did the most comprehensive meta-analysis to date of existing studies comparing organic and conventional foods. They did not find strong evidence that organic foods are more nutritious or carry fewer health risks than conventional alternatives.

BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 4, 8:07*pm, BottleBob wrote:
[...]

I wasn't clear. My bad. I'm concerned with both fiber and protein.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, March 4, 2013 9:51:02 PM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:

Some organics taste much better. Not all... some.

How about some other kind of nut like almonds or cashews?

Jon:

Nuts are high in fat.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3085/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3095/2

Protein powder is the most dense form of protein. Virtually all other foods contain carbs and fats along with the protein. Multiply the grams of protein by 4 to get the calories. Multiply the grams of carbs by 4 to get the calories. Multiply the grams of fat by 9 to the calories.

Here are some foods that are high in protein:

http://ezinearticles.com/?10-Foods-T...ries&id=934661

You should have enough info now to research it.

--
BottleBob *
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, March 4, 2013 9:52:51 PM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:

I wasn't clear. My bad. I'm concerned with both fiber and protein.

Jon:

I don't give much thought to fiber, since I like I mentioned, I usually eat 10oz-12oz of rabbit food a day.

The following list may, or may not, help you. It's a list of some of the staples of my diet. I hope the columns stay lined up.

Food Protein Carbs Fat Total

Oatmeal With
Cinnamon & Syrup 4g = 16 Cal 30g = 122 Cal 2g = 20 Cal 150 Cal

Egg Whites 16oz 42g = 168 Cal 7g = 28 Cal 0 210 Cal

Banana 1g = 4 Cal 26g = 104 Cal 0 110 Cal

Apple 1g = 4 Cal 23g = 92 Cal 0 116 Cal

Egg McMuffin 18g = 72 Cal 30g = 120 Cal 12g = 108 C 300 Cal

Sausage McMuffin 14g = 56 Cal 29g = 116 Cal 22g = 198 C 370 Cal

Cantaloupe 5g =20 Cal 42g = 168 Cal 1g = 9 Cal 200 Cal

Leafy Romaine
Salad 10oz. 3g = 12 Cal 9g = 36 Cal 0 48 Cal

American Blend
Salad 12oz. 1g = 4 Cal 3g = 12 Cal 0 60 Cal

Premium Romaine
Salad 9oz. 1g = 4 Cal 3g = 12 Cal 0 45 Cal

Very Veggie
Salad 12oz. 1g = 4 Cal 4g = 16 Cal 0 80 Cal

Crab Meat 14g = 56 Cal 0 1g = 9 Cal 60 Cal

1# Fage Yogurt 46g = 184 Cal 19g = 76 Cal 0 260 Cal

5.3 oz. Oikos 15g = 60 Cal 6g = 24 Cal 0 80 Cal

Sugar Free Jello 5g = 20 Cal 0 0 20 Cal

Popcorn 2.5g = 10 Cal 16g = 64 Cal 2.5g = 10 C 86 Cal

Mushrooms (1 cup) 2g = 8 Cal 2g = 8 Cal 0 15 Cal

Chicken Nuggets TV 14g = 56 Cal 31g = 124 Cal 15g = 140 C 320 Cal

Scrambled Eggs TV 16g = 64 Cal 17g = 68 Cal 21g = 189 C 320 Cal

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://ezinearticles.com/?10-Foods-T...tein-And-Low-I...

* * * You should have enough info now to research it.

--
BottleBob * *http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Looks like if I eat a can and a half of tuna fish a day I would get
all the protein I need. Of course, I'd would also probably end up with
mercury poisoning.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Oh, man, that's a bummer. My fishing buddy has had about the same
number of sinus operations as you, and he's gone through hell for
close to 30 years (they finally fixed him up around two years ago). My
mother had C-difficile twice (picked up once in a hospital, and then
in a nursing home: they're breeding grounds for it), and I know what
*she* went through.

It sounds like you need a very personally-tuned diet to deal with
those things. 'Hope you get it worked out.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I remember hearing someplace that two teaspoons of bee honey
(unprocessed and straight from the hive) will cure your sinuses
forever.

(I forgot where I heard it)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Sounds like pure folk belief horse**** to me.

(I forgot where I heard it)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I've never tried it, but I wonder what it would be like.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I am sorry that your mother had to suffer through C-diff.

I believe my C-diff went undiagnosed for 6 months until it got so bad
and so obvious that doctors finally got serious. After doing a CAT
scan they wanted to remove my appendix because I was so badly swollen
and so inflamed.

"It sounds like you need a very personally-tuned diet to deal with
those things."

I agree.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Egg whites are giving me the effect you described that flax seed has.