Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
BottleBob BottleBob is offline

Default Eat Organics - NOT Moi!

On Sunday, March 3, 2013 10:22:07 AM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:
On Mar 3, 12:01*am, BottleBob wrote:

Jon:

* * *If the results of juicing is *ALL* that you're eating, you'll need to supplement with some protein, since there is very little in juices. *You don't want to start losing muscle mass, as your body will cannibalize the protein from your muscle tissue to use to repair & rebuild other parts of your body. *You can get protein powder anywhere.

* * *Also helpful to retain muscle mass AND lose weight is burning Calories by exercising. *Simple jogging, bike riding, doing jumping jacks, or whatever.

I think your concern about protein is valid so I did some checking and
here is what I found:

http://www.rawpeople.com/index.php?o...594&Itemid=110

And this:

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthrea...ng-and-Protein

Jon:

Given the biological seriousness to you of getting this wrong, I'm going to spend some time going over it.
Nutrition is a complex subject, and if I were you I wouldn't try "winging" it based on what a few juicer sites, or posters to those sites, may have to say. You have no way of judging what their knowledge base is, OR what their agenda might be.
I think it would be better to go with sites that have more credibility and authority.
First you have to find out what the RDA for protein is.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyon...s/protein.html

Men ages 19 – 70+ = 56g Protein.

That's for sedentary individuals that don't do anything more strenuous than moving a mouse. LOL

http://www.jacn.org/content/19/suppl_5/513S.full

Although contrary to traditional belief, recent scientific information collected on physically active individuals tends to indicate that regular exercise increases daily protein requirements; however, the precise details remain to be worked out. Based on laboratory measures, daily protein requirements are increased by perhaps as much as 100% vs. recommendations for sedentary individuals (1.6–1.8 vs. 0.8 g/kg).

I don't know how much you weigh, but for a 150# guy 1.6g/kg would work out to: 150/2.2 X 1.6 = 109g Protein.

Actually, my own daily Protein intake is much higher than that, and I only weigh in the mid 130's. BUT, it's a low carb, low fat, high protein diet intentionally designed to have my body metabolize some of the protein for energy. It probably wouldn't be any good for you, since it's not optimized for diabetic problems. Heh, I've got my OWN bio-malfunction - hypertension.

Soooo we want a protein intake between 56g and 109g. Let's try and estimate what your juicing gives you.

You said you were using the following recipe:

Ingredients:

1 cucumber
4 celery stalks
2 apples
6-8 leaves kale (Australian tuscan cabbage)
1/2 lemon
1 tbsp ginger

Ingredients:
1 cucumber... 1.65g Protein in one large cucumber
http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...cumber/protein

4 celery stalks... .43 X 4 = 1.72g Protein.
http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...celery/protein

2 apples... .55 X 2 = 1.1g Protein. BTW apples have 100+ Calories of sugar (fructose), which might spike your blood sugar level.
http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...apples/protein

6-8 leaves kale (Australian tuscan cabbage)... I don't know how much 6-8 leaves would weigh. Let me estimate it at 1 cup, which if close would equal about 2g Protein.
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/cook-with-kale

1/2 lemon... .64 / 2 = .32g Protein.
http://www.bitelog.com/lemon-calorie...&re dir=redir

1 tbsp ginger... .49g Protein.
http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...onamount=1.000

Now to add all these up: 1.65 + 1.72 + 1.1 + 2 +.32 +.49 = 7g Protein. That doesn't come anywhere CLOSE to even the sedentary RDA figure of 56g of protein needed for normal body functioning. You'd have to drink like 8 of those per day to get the required 56g of protein, and you could just FORGET about trying for 109g or Protein per day.
I would conclude that the juicer sites you went to are doing you (and others), a disservice with their "information".

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob