Old January 16th 13, 11:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Homemade industrial wire stripper

Ignoramus31473 fired this volley in
:

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

I haven't built one, but if you'll look up "Artos", you'll find examples
of industrial automated strippers.

NONE of them are "safe in use", unless they have an interlocked cover
over the work zone.

LLoyd

Old January 16th 13, 12:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/15/2013 9:14 PM, Ignoramus31473 wrote:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

Some machines use 8" knot-type wire wheels counter rotating with one
shaft is spring loaded so the brush faces touch under adjustable
pressure. In addition to removing the insulation they drive the wire to
be striped. Tubes guides the wire into and out of the brushes. The
wire to be striped has an adjustable brake. Wire FLIES through these
machines!
Old January 16th 13, 02:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:14:17 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus31473 wrote:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those

"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car

wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use

b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour

c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just

wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out

well.

We all know as soon as you need something, you'll find it for the price of scrap, then come back with a 'minor gloat'...

Dave
Old January 16th 13, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 00:21:26 -0600, Ignoramus31473

On 2013-01-16, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:14:17 -0600, Ignoramus31473
wrote:

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

Be aware that body shops are supplying law enforcement (and probably
Feds) with lists of people who bring stripped copper into the scrap
metal yard in many communities these years. That may bring more local
governmental scrutiny than you want, Ig, despite the fact that your
shop is working entirely legally.

I have no problem with that, all I buy is legit.

No? You've obviously never dealt with a governmental agency before.

--
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it,
Old January 16th 13, 03:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 16, 6:10*am, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:14:17 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus31473 wrote:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those

"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car

wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use

b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour

c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just

wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out

well.

We all know as soon as you need something, you'll find it for the price of scrap, then come back with a 'minor gloat'...

Dave

He's a full card carrying member of the cult of Wieber so that's
exactly what we can expect.

Old January 16th 13, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
On Jan 16, 6:10 am, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:14:17 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus31473 wrote:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those

"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car

wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use

b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour

c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just

wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out

well.

We all know as soon as you need something, you'll find it for the price of
scrap, then come back with a 'minor gloat'...

Dave

He's a full card carrying member of the cult of Wieber so that's
exactly what we can expect.

====

Copper prices have been on the decline for going on 2 years now and so I'm
in no hurry.

Especially considering that the SEC just very recently approved JP Morgan's
request allowing for ETF's to be backed by actual physical copper, which,
due to the probability of hoarding, may well substantially reduce the amount
of copper available for bonafide manufacturing purposes, despite Wall St
claims to the contrary.

Old January 16th 13, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus31473" wrote in message
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

A friend of mine did this. He found out, though, that the whole system did
better by limiting the size of the wire. That is, after stripping, it was
cut into 1/4" lengths, and this made it infinitely easier to handle, and
they put it in 5 gallon containers for handling and shipment. Can't tell
you much about the way they stripped it, but with a little investigation,
you should be able to find out which way works best for you.

They also got a premium price for the copper, as the buyers were sure they
were going to get all wire with no trash. IIRC, the buyers were making
"kearnies". (?)

Old January 17th 13, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:58:02 PM UTC-5, Steve B wrote:
[...]

If you cut then strip, the stripping maybe could be done by pressing the wire out of the insulation. A die-per-size would be a pain, though.

Holub Wire Stripper Mike Dobony Home Repair 9 May 27th 17 08:44 PM
C.K Automatic Wire Stripper The Medway Handyman UK diy 10 January 7th 12 11:47 PM
better wire stripper and crimp pins Karl Townsend Metalworking 16 November 23rd 10 04:14 AM
Wire stripper James[_4_] UK diy 24 January 20th 08 02:08 PM
A decent automatic wire stripper. Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 4 February 2nd 07 05:14 PM