Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Homemade industrial wire stripper

On 18 Jan 2013 00:44:10 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-01-17, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:58:02 PM UTC-5, Steve B wrote:
"Ignoramus31473" wrote in message

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those

"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car

wheels".

[ ... ]

They also got a premium price for the copper, as the buyers were sure they

were going to get all wire with no trash. IIRC, the buyers were making

"kearnies". (?)

If you cut then strip, the stripping maybe could be done by pressing
the wire out of the insulation. A die-per-size would be a pain, though.

Depends on the wire. Old telephone "drop" cable (that which
went from the pole to the side of the house) had the rubber rather
firmly bonded to the conductors. Stripping it involved whittling away
rubber until you got close, then scraping to get to the conductor. (I
used to have some from tree damage in New Hampshire back in the very
early 1960s. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Ive installed a ****load of that wire. Much of it was copper coated
steel and ayup..getting the insulation off of it was a stone bitch.

Gunner

1. Lie