Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Homemade industrial wire stripper

"Ignoramus31473" wrote in message
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

A friend of mine did this. He found out, though, that the whole system did
better by limiting the size of the wire. That is, after stripping, it was
cut into 1/4" lengths, and this made it infinitely easier to handle, and
they put it in 5 gallon containers for handling and shipment. Can't tell
you much about the way they stripped it, but with a little investigation,
you should be able to find out which way works best for you.

They also got a premium price for the copper, as the buyers were sure they
were going to get all wire with no trash. IIRC, the buyers were making
"kearnies". (?)