Old January 16th 13, 02:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Homemade industrial wire stripper

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

Old January 16th 13, 02:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus31473 wrote:

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

A colleague of mime had a home made unit built on a gearhead motor.
It had a spring loaded pipe cutter wheel. I used it for several thousand
feet of cable. For light duty it was satisfactory. The drive wheel
needed improvement. I saw a commercially made unit that had four pipe
cutter wheels at 90 degs. The key seems to be the drive wheel.

CP
Old January 16th 13, 04:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:14:17 -0600, Ignoramus31473
wrote:

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

Be aware that body shops are supplying law enforcement (and probably
Feds) with lists of people who bring stripped copper into the scrap
metal yard in many communities these years. That may bring more local
governmental scrutiny than you want, Ig, despite the fact that your
shop is working entirely legally.

--
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it,
Old January 16th 13, 04:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31473 wrote:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

Why reinvent the wheel?

https://www.recyclingequipment.com/i...wire-strippers

--
Steve W.
Old January 16th 13, 06:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Ignoramus31473 wrote:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels". I mean a powered industrial machine that is a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well. i

Why reinvent the wheel?

https://www.recyclingequipment.com/i...wire-strippers

The one they use at Metro Metals in Portland has a blade that orbits around
the wire, stripping the insulation away in long spiral sections that look
similar to drill shavings.

Old January 16th 13, 06:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

Be aware that body shops are supplying law enforcement (and probably
Feds) with lists of people who bring stripped copper into the scrap
metal yard in many communities these years. That may bring more local
governmental scrutiny than you want, Ig, despite the fact that your
shop is working entirely legally.

I have no problem with that, all I buy is legit.

Old January 16th 13, 06:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:14:17 -0600, Ignoramus31473 wrote:

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour c) Strips cables up to
1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

If you were in China you'd just subcontract the job to a village full of
people who would pile it on bonfires and burn the insulation off.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Old January 16th 13, 07:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:14:17 -0600, Ignoramus31473 wrote:

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour c) Strips cables up to
1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

If you were in China you'd just subcontract the job to a village full of
people who would pile it on bonfires and burn the insulation off.

Can't do that here, those pesky environmentalists.....

Old January 16th 13, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/15/2013 10:23 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:14:17 -0600, Ignoramus31473 wrote:

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour c) Strips cables up to
1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

If you were in China you'd just subcontract the job to a village full of
people who would pile it on bonfires and burn the insulation off.

not any more - they have discovered the value in the insulation - the
current approach in china is to pulverize the cables, use a water sluice
to separate the copper from the insulation and sell the two separately.
the insulation becomes your flip flops or bedroom slippers
Old January 16th 13, 07:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 23:53:13 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Ignoramus31473 wrote:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

Why reinvent the wheel?

https://www.recyclingequipment.com/i...wire-strippers

Some good looking machines there and make far more sense than building
one.

Gunner

1. Lie

Holub Wire Stripper Mike Dobony Home Repair 9 May 27th 17 08:44 PM
C.K Automatic Wire Stripper The Medway Handyman UK diy 10 January 7th 12 11:47 PM
better wire stripper and crimp pins Karl Townsend Metalworking 16 November 23rd 10 04:14 AM
Wire stripper James[_4_] UK diy 24 January 20th 08 02:08 PM
A decent automatic wire stripper. Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 4 February 2nd 07 05:14 PM