Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A decent automatic wire stripper.

Hello all.
I visited a Maplin shop recently, and saw a wire stripper which I just had
to get.
It's made by Rolson, and costs £7.49.
Its working parts are made of cast steel, and are detachable (spares may not
be available, though).
It's automatic (no adjustment required), and works a treat.
It's well engineered, and is a welcome addition to my toolkit.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
Hello all. I visited a Maplin shop recently, and saw a wire stripper
which I just had to get. It's made by Rolson, and costs £7.49. Its
working parts are made of cast steel, and are detachable (spares may not
be available, though). It's automatic (no adjustment required), and
works a treat. It's well engineered, and is a welcome addition to my
toolkit.

I've got several - and don't get on with automatic types. The best one I
have has cutting jaws with four wire diameters - covers all the normal
stuff for electronics. Works perfectly every time. Cost a lot more than 8
quid, though.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message
Hello all.
I visited a Maplin shop recently, and saw a wire stripper which I just had
to get.
It's made by Rolson, and costs £7.49.
Its working parts are made of cast steel, and are detachable (spares may
not be available, though).
It's automatic (no adjustment required), and works a treat.
It's well engineered, and is a welcome addition to my toolkit.

Mine are similar to this but cost over £20 at the time.
http://tinyurl.com/2mj42v

Sylvain.

I was in Maplin yesterday and a lot of their tools are Rolson. I always
thought Rolson were bargain basement stuff only seen in tool stores, and
surprised to see the likes of Maplin selling them. They had ratchet ring
spanners for £10, which look cheaply made from sheet metal riveted together.
I suppose fine for occasional none car use. I saw in Aldi today the ratchet
spanners they were selling and bought them. 5 for £12. Very good quality and
solid and can be used on cars. See the Aldi web site.

In Maplin I saw a kit with a pocket watch/torch and Leatherman clone for £14
(Rolson). On the counter they had in a glass case a stainless coloured
pocket watch/torch for £30 (no Leatherman clone), which was identical except
for colour to the Rolson kit watch.

The tools in Maplin appeared well priced, but not top of the range in
quality by any means, but some of it was decent enough quality. I bought a
ratchet stubby screwdriver that takes bits from Maplin for around £5. Those
things are handy and I can use bits from my collection, although it stores
bits in the handle and comes with them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
Hello all. I visited a Maplin shop recently, and saw a wire stripper
which I just had to get. It's made by Rolson, and costs £7.49. Its
working parts are made of cast steel, and are detachable (spares may not
be available, though). It's automatic (no adjustment required), and
works a treat. It's well engineered, and is a welcome addition to my
toolkit.

I've got several - and don't get on with automatic types. The best one I
have has cutting jaws with four wire diameters - covers all the normal
stuff for electronics. Works perfectly every time.

They sound like this sort...

http://www.toolspotting.net/images/wirestripper.jpg

.... in which case I agree they're the business.

Cost a lot more than 8
quid, though.

Mine cost rather less than 8 quid, I suspect, but that was in about
1968. Which says it all, really...

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
I've got several - and don't get on with automatic types. The best one I
have has cutting jaws with four wire diameters - covers all the normal
stuff for electronics. Works perfectly every time.

They sound like this sort...

http://www.toolspotting.net/images/wirestripper.jpg

Very similar.

... in which case I agree they're the business.

Cost a lot more than 8
quid, though.

Mine cost rather less than 8 quid, I suspect, but that was in about
1968. Which says it all, really...

Well, yes. Good tools are always good value.

--
*Don't byte off more than you can view *

Steam stripper F UK diy 6 September 14th 06 06:31 PM
Paint Stripper again Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 5 September 6th 06 10:42 PM
Best paint stripper? Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 9 August 20th 06 12:15 AM
Paint stripper ben UK diy 19 July 15th 05 12:24 PM
Fixing a Thomas and Betts Self-adjusting Wire Stripper. meirman Electronics Repair 0 March 27th 05 05:55 AM