Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] spamTHISbrp@yahoo.com is offline

Default Homemade industrial wire stripper

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:58:02 PM UTC-5, Steve B wrote:
"Ignoramus31473" wrote in message

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those

"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car

wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use

b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour

c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just

wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out

well.

A friend of mine did this. He found out, though, that the whole system did

better by limiting the size of the wire. That is, after stripping, it was

cut into 1/4" lengths, and this made it infinitely easier to handle, and

they put it in 5 gallon containers for handling and shipment. Can't tell

you much about the way they stripped it, but with a little investigation,

you should be able to find out which way works best for you.

They also got a premium price for the copper, as the buyers were sure they

were going to get all wire with no trash. IIRC, the buyers were making

"kearnies". (?)

If you cut then strip, the stripping maybe could be done by pressing the wire out of the insulation. A die-per-size would be a pain, though.