Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Homemade industrial wire stripper

Gunner wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 00:14:08 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Ma Bell gave her boys a special stripper for that stuff. It had
two notchs for the wire and a guide to hold the jacket in the right
position. I saw one, but I never saw anyone use one. The new stuff
has a plastic jacket tht can be even worse.

Having been a friend of Ma Bell...contractor...I had one. Didnt work
worth a ****.

I probably still have it somewhere out in the bins

Sometimes 'nothing' is better than 'better than nothing'. ;-)

Ive seen guys split the wire and dip it in a small vial of acid of
some sort, which breaks down the insulation rather quickly.

I cannot remember what it was though. Or it was some sort of solvent.

I do recall they pulled off the now soft as jello insul with pliers

Which is why installer prefer jelled direct bury cable these days.