Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any good tool sets?

I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that I can
carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I need. I like
the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more sockets, and other sockets. I
need sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, channel locks, pliers, cutters, a
hammer, hex keys, etc. I see the cheapy homeowner chinese sets that have
all that but I need something with some quality.
Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? Or maybe I just need to
get a tool box and build my own set.

Thanks

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 15:39:27 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"RogerN" quickly quoth:

I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that I can
carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I need. I like
the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more sockets, and other sockets. I
need sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, channel locks, pliers, cutters, a
hammer, hex keys, etc. I see the cheapy homeowner chinese sets that have
all that but I need something with some quality.
Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? Or maybe I just need to
get a tool box and build my own set.

From my last experiences with Searz, I would guess that the chiwanese
sets were -better- than the Crapsman...with the possible exception of
screwdrivers. I haven't bought -any- Crapsman tools since they went
totally to **** in the late 70s.

Look for a cheap Taiwanese set.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-21, RogerN wrote:
I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that I can
carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I need. I like
the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more sockets, and other sockets. I
need sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, channel locks, pliers, cutters, a
hammer, hex keys, etc. I see the cheapy homeowner chinese sets that have
all that but I need something with some quality.
Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? Or maybe I just need to
get a tool box and build my own set.

There are many Craftsman sets that include a lot of tools besides
sockets. I would not buy the bottom of the barrel Chinese sets. Look
again at Sears.com or ebay. "craftsman mechanic tool set"

What I do not like about those sets, is that they have a lot of
repetitions, i.e. a 1/2" hex socket with 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus12603" wrote in message
On 2008-06-21, RogerN wrote:
[...]

Those repetitions are REALLY REALLY helpful. Crafstman sets are nicely
packaged, and the warranty still works - snap-on is nice but expensive,
proto, MAC and so on are also available - all are good.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:

I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that I can
carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I need. I like
the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more sockets, and other sockets. I
need sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, channel locks, pliers, cutters, a
hammer, hex keys, etc. I see the cheapy homeowner chinese sets that have
all that but I need something with some quality.
Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? Or maybe I just need to
get a tool box and build my own set.

Thanks

RogerN

Craftsman does have some tool sets that contain wrenches. Go to Sears
and see if they have a catalog.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Channellock brand set that Sam's Club carries is pretty good and has
most of what you want, in a sturdy black hard plastic briefcase.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net

"RogerN" wrote in message
I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that
I can carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I
need. I like the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more sockets,
and other sockets. I need sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, channel
locks, pliers, cutters, a hammer, hex keys, etc. I see the cheapy
homeowner chinese sets that have all that but I need something with
some quality.
Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? Or maybe I just
need to get a tool box and build my own set.

Thanks

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 21, 4:39*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that I can
carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I need. *...

Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? *Or maybe I just need to
get a tool box and build my own set.

RogerN

What ever do you need to work on? Electrical, vehicles, machinery,
outdoor power equipment? They all take a different set of tools.

The socket sets I use most are 3/8" and 1/4" fractional + metric sets
in a plastic cases, from WalMart. They travel with me while the good
Proto, SnapOn, Utica tools stay home where they won't be lost, stolen
or borrowed.

The combo wrenches with them are medium-quality ones from 7/16 to 3/4,
10mm to 18mm, in roll-up pouches.

Torx and hex wrenches are fold-ups on the road, Bondhus sets at home.
The travel kit screwdrivers are partly 1/4" hex bit sets, the home
shop ones are all separates.

In general my road tools are lighter, smaller, less ergonomic and
cheaper, and packed in cases that keep the tools out of the dirt. The
vehicle kits have evolved to include almost everything usually needed
to maintain that vehicle, and except for a long breaker bar they fit
under the seat. The home set is the better tools I really like, bought
individually as needed.

I've had various field service jobs and learned to pare the tool kit's
weight and volume to a reasonable minimum so I can carry it a long
distance through a factory or airport in one hand or push it on a
folding luggage two-wheeler. My suitcase, a Makita drill or whatever
part I'm installing is in the other hand.

The road tools are somewhat expendable. I've had the lock on a box
truck compartment fail and spew everything all over a busy
intersection.

So I suggest separates or smaller kits. OTOH a neighbor who works on
vehicles a lot received a large Sears set for Christmas that works
pretty well for him. I think he still uses his older tools for large
rusty nuts. I don't risk sockets from the sets on them either.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED ED is offline

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 15:39:27 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that I can
carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I need. I like
the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more sockets, and other sockets. I
need sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, channel locks, pliers, cutters, a
hammer, hex keys, etc. I see the cheapy homeowner chinese sets that have
all that but I need something with some quality.
Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? Or maybe I just need to
get a tool box and build my own set.

Thanks

RogerN

If you are near a trade school, some offer tool sets to the new
mechanic students. One such school near me solicits bids for the
sets each year and there sometimes is an extra set or two..I got one
like that years ago--one of the best purchases I've ever made. Top
quality and unbeatable price. I passed on a Craftsmans set one
year, didn't care for their stuff but the next year I had a choice
between mac or snapon. I took a mac set and never looked back.
A local parts house manager put me on to it.
ED
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carl Ijames wrote:
The Channellock brand set that Sam's Club carries is pretty good and has
most of what you want, in a sturdy black hard plastic briefcase.

$70 or so?

I have that set, and have had it for a couple of years. It is a very good set of tools
for many purposes. I doubt it, or any other reasonably priced set, will include all of
what he specified. He didn't say what size sockets, wrenches, hammers hex keys, etc. he
might need. It will depend partly on what he expects to be working on. Watches? Bicycles?
Lawn mowers? Automobiles? Earth movers? Something all together different?

I expect he'll need something like this to start with and a separate box, or two, for his
extras - dependent upon tasks to be performed.

I saw a fellow working on a cylinder for an earth mover. It required a 19mm hex key
wrench - and a 10' rigid metal pipe for a cheater - to break those buggers! Probably put
on with a 3/4" or 1" impact tool, with the pressure set too high.

Al

--

"RogerN" wrote in message
I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that
I can carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I
need. I like the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more sockets,
and other sockets. I need sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, channel
locks, pliers, cutters, a hammer, hex keys, etc. I see the cheapy
homeowner chinese sets that have all that but I need something with
some quality.
Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? Or maybe I just
need to get a tool box and build my own set.

Thanks

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that I can
carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I need. I like
the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more sockets, and other sockets. I
need sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, channel locks, pliers, cutters, a
hammer, hex keys, etc. I see the cheapy homeowner chinese sets that have
all that but I need something with some quality.
Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? Or maybe I just need to
get a tool box and build my own set.

If you're willing to spend a bit more for
quality US-made tools and take the time to
pick out just what you need, I strongly
recommend the SK Tools socket and wrench
sets at thetoolwarehouse.net.

You'll not regret it and your son/daughter
will end up inheriting them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
news
Carl Ijames wrote:
The Channellock brand set that Sam's Club carries is pretty good and
has most of what you want, in a sturdy black hard plastic briefcase.

$70 or so?

I have that set, and have had it for a couple of years. It is a very
good set of tools for many purposes. I doubt it, or any other
reasonably priced set, will include all of what he specified. He
didn't say what size sockets, wrenches, hammers hex keys, etc. he
might need. It will depend partly on what he expects to be working
on. Watches? Bicycles? Lawn mowers? Automobiles? Earth movers?
Something all together different?

I expect he'll need something like this to start with and a separate
box, or two, for his extras - dependent upon tasks to be performed.

That's the one. By "most of what you want", I meant all the general
purpose stuff :-). He'll definitely need to add all of the specialized
stuff to any general purpose tool set he buys.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net
(remove nospm or make the obvious changes before replying)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What I do not like about those sets, is that they have a lot of
repetitions, i.e. a 1/2" hex socket with 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive.

One of the things I do like abou the Craftsman sets is the repetition, for
several reasons.

1) I can carry one ratchet and a handful (hopefully in a rack of some sort)
of sockets to most jobs and have what I need 1/4 drive gets me 9/16" down
for small stuff, 3/8 drive gets me 3/8" to 7/8, 1/2 drive gets me 7/16 to 1
1/4".

2) bolt heads and nuts are frequently the same size and I need 2 7/16"
sockets for 1/4"X20 bolts.

3) sometimes the 3/8" ratchet with a 1/2" socket will not fit, 1/4" drive
will. Sometimes I canlt get enough torque with the 1/4" inch drive.

4) sometimes I have a bunch of 7/16" whatever to turn and 2 sons to help me,
1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 all have sockets to fit.

Carl Boyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm looking for something I can carry out to work on the lawn mower,
bicycle, tractor, go cart, car, and backhoe. I don't expect a set to have
everything but more of a variety than most of Sears smaller sets would be
nice. I also have metalworking and wood working machinery but have tools
handy in the shop. It's just everytime I go to repair something outside, I
spend more time running back and forth getting tools than I do fixing
anything. If I have a job to do on the backhoe, I expect to lug out the
larger tools as I don't want to carry all these to fix the lawn mower, etc.

RogerN

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
news

"RogerN" wrote in message
I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that I
can carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I need. I
like the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more sockets, and other
sockets. I need sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, channel locks,
pliers, cutters, a hammer, hex keys, etc. I see the cheapy homeowner
chinese sets that have all that but I need something with some quality.
Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? Or maybe I just
need to get a tool box and build my own set.

Thanks

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that I can
carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I need. I like
the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more sockets, and other sockets. I
need sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, channel locks, pliers, cutters, a
hammer, hex keys, etc. I see the cheapy homeowner chinese sets that have
all that but I need something with some quality.
Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? Or maybe I just need to
get a tool box and build my own set.

Thanks

RogerN

How much do you want to spend?

Take a look at Sears item 009-41205 It has all of what you have on your
list. They call it a 145 piece field technicians tool set in the 2008
catalog. 299.99
Item 009-34233 is a larger set (233 piece) for 500.00

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don't forget the 1/2" size - sometimes it is the only length that can do
the job or the only one that the ability.

I watch sales - and 10 years ago or so I spotted a 1/2" torque wrench
on sale. I think inventory dump - 7 or 8 USD and I have used it not as
a torque wrench - but it works that way - but as a gentle breaker bar.
I set it to a high foot-pounds and apply pressure. The long bar us handy.

A small handful of bars - extensions and adapters up and down.
It might allow using 3/8 and 1/4 extensions to get down into a small hole.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Carl Boyd wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thats it - I have a 12v impact tool. And a set of deep sockets.
Kinda cool. I take it on trips - just in case I have a flat and
can't get the nut loose.

I use it on the tractor getting mower blades off - just plug it in.
The other one requires air - maybe not next to the work.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

"RogerN" wrote in message
I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that
I can carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I
need. I like the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more sockets,
and other sockets. I need sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, channel
locks, pliers, cutters, a hammer, hex keys, etc. I see the cheapy
homeowner chinese sets that have all that but I need something with
some quality.
Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? Or maybe I just
need to get a tool box and build my own set.

Thanks

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? �Or maybe I just need to
get a tool box and build my own set.

Thanks

RogerN

Roger N

Just today I was at Sears, Sams Club, Home Depot and COSTCO. There are
some nice sets out there. I would get the Crescent set at COSTCO and
the electric and plier sets at Home Depot. Less than $200.00 with a
tool box from Home Depot.

Also next weekend Ace is having some nice thngs with a rebate thing. I
would imagine the ad/circular is online.

For openers do yourself a favor and lube well the ratchet and other
tools that have moving parts.

Take care
Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that I
can carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I need. I
like the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more sockets, and other
sockets. I need sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, channel locks, pliers,
cutters, a hammer, hex keys, etc. I see the cheapy homeowner chinese sets
that have all that but I need something with some quality.
Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? Or maybe I just need
to get a tool box and build my own set.

Thanks

RogerN

The following is only my opinion. I believe yours may be different, and
therefore incorrect.

;-)

I have seen tool sets that cost thousands of dollars, and yet, they have
things that the buyer will never use, and don't have things that the buyer
would want and a lot of people consider to be a basic tool.

Therefore, I am for building your own set. We all work on different things,
and there are things we absolutely can't do without. Then there's just
things that make life and a job soooooo much easier. And then there's just
things we like to have and use since they come in real handy and save work,
increase output, and do a better job.

Tool sets have chisels, yet we go out and buy MORE specialty chisels for our
particular work or a particular job. Tool sets have pliers, but how many
have a pair of snap ring pliers? Or some specialty pair of pliers? Handy
things. Tool sets have wrenches, but how many have a particular crow's
foot, distributor wrench, or angled wrench we use a lot? They all come with
about fifty loose Allen wrenches, but I like the sets that are fold up and
stay together. I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Not a lot of real perfect tool sets out there. AND, I have gotten LOTS of
good tools at yard sales for very good prices. I got a new in plastic
Makita cup knot brush today for my grinder, a small miter saw the size of a
big kitchen knife, a Husky painter's tool, and a couple of other things for
$2. They wanted $1.50 and I gave them $2. The brush alone is about fifteen
bucks. Point is, you can build a good set of tools just from yard sales
items that are old school and built to last forever. I think one never ends
building a tool set.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 21, 9:45*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
I'm looking for something I can carry out to work on the lawn mower,
bicycle, *tractor, go cart, car, and backhoe. *I don't expect a set to have
everything but more of a variety than most of Sears smaller sets would be
nice. *I also have metalworking and wood working machinery but have tools
handy in the shop. *It's just everytime I go to repair something outside, I
spend more time running back and forth getting tools than I do fixing
anything. *If I have a job to do on the backhoe, I expect to lug out the
larger tools as I don't want to carry all these to fix the lawn mower, etc.

RogerN

A bicycle, car, tractor, backhoe can carry their own small tool kits
containing only the specific tools they need. I put a few cheap
wrenches, screwdrivers and spare sparkplugs in a small tackle box and
find or weld on a place for it on the machine. One or two sockets and
a tee handle substitutes for a socket set and ratchet. The hardware
you commonly remove probably isn't rusted on tightly, so cheap tools
work OK. I'd rather lose a $1 wrench in the mud than one from a good
set.

If they need serious work they go back to the garage where the jack,
compressed air and good tools live.

When I build a machine I try to use as few different sizes of hardware
as I reasonably can, to keep the kit small and maintenance easier. My
sawmill uses almost entirely 3/8" hardware so a 9/16" combo wrench and
a tee-handle socket are enough to assemble it and level the track. The
log splitter needs only two 1/2" wrenches, an Allen for the pump
coupling and pliers for pins and hose clamps. Everything likely to
shake loose on the garden tractor can be checked with a 3/8 X 7/16 and
a 1/2 X 9/16 open end wrench. The special sparkplug/bar nut tee wrench
for chainsaws is usually enough to disassemble them, if not I add a
Phillips, hex or Torx driver to the kit.

I use an old Rubbermaid utility cart from an auction as a workbench
and tool shelf outdoors. The tools go out individually as needed but
they all come back piled up in the cart which I can roll around the
shop to put stuff away wherever it goes. I'm looking for a metal one
with a few drawers under the top shelf, or may add drawers to this
one. There is a fancier version for factory maintenance crews that has
drawers and a cabinet, a wooden top surface and a bench vise. The
casters limit what you can do in the vise but I've found that a
blacksmith's leg vise works very well on a lightweight (Metro) cart.
It wouldn't be too hard to make a steel or wooden cart with large
outdoor wheels and a trailer hitch or towing handle. I've dragged that
Rubbermaid cart all over the neighborhood and out in the woods to fix
machinery and build sheds.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
I'm looking for something I can carry out to work on the lawn mower,
bicycle, tractor, go cart, car, and backhoe. I don't expect a set to have
everything but more of a variety than most of Sears smaller sets would be
nice. I also have metalworking and wood working machinery but have tools
handy in the shop. It's just everytime I go to repair something outside, I
spend more time running back and forth getting tools than I do fixing
anything. If I have a job to do on the backhoe, I expect to lug out the
larger tools as I don't want to carry all these to fix the lawn mower, etc.

RogerN

Roger,

Sounds like you might need a set of sets. I've seen lots of small boxes that only
included say 1/2 drive sockets and drivers. Another might have only 3/8" sockets &
drivers and yet another 1/4" but all had their own compact box. If you're not exactly
sure what size you'll need you might carry the 3/8 & 1/2 sets. This still doesn't include
your screwdrivers, etc. but you can also get sets of just screwdrivers either with
standard grips or possibly better would be with assorted bits to be used with your 1/4" or
3/8" ratchets. I'm not sure, but this *might* be the way to go. I have a small set of
SAE & Metric wrenches that go approx. 1/4 to 7/8". They have their own slot so I can tell
if I left one behind. The SAE on one side, in order and metric on the other side. If I
know I'm just going to sharpen the mower blade this is what I'll grab. Of course I could
just take one 9/16" wrench. ;-)

I don't think you're going to find *one* set to do it all, but if your tools are broken up
into smaller sets you can pretty well take the set or sets you'll need.

Al

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that I can
carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I need.

I bought my daughter the Crescent basic set (~$75) that is available
from MSC, MCM and the like. The quality appears good, and nothing has
broken. Although I have many SK tools, I can no longer recommend them,
after having purchased and sent back SK wrenches with the plating
flaking off.

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Roger,
Perhaps a philosophy is the better answer as opposed to what. When I was 12,
I got a job scraping grease off of truck chassis that were scheduled for
repainting at an auto body repair shop and there I met a sheet metal guy
that had been in the business his whole life. He had this most beautiful
complete set of Snap-On tools and I fell in love with these tools. One day
at lunch, I asked this guy how he could afford these very expensive tools.
He replied that he never could afford to buy them all at once, so he would
buy a tool every time he received a paycheck. He also advised me to never
buy a tool that was not of the highest quality. Well, I took this man's
advice and haven't missed a paycheck purchase since that time. I will be 64
next month and I still buy tools. You will never have everything you need,
ever. Now, I own a complete machine shop, a sheet metal shop, a wood shop,
an electronics shop and multiple roll around tool boxes. I still have most
of the tools that I bought in the beginning, with the exception of those
that were either stolen or borrowed and never returned. Consider your cost
of tools a tax which must be paid forever and then they just accumulate
without pain.
Steve

"RogerN" wrote in message
I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that I
can carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I need. I
like the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more sockets, and other
sockets. I need sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, channel locks, pliers,
cutters, a hammer, hex keys, etc. I see the cheapy homeowner chinese sets
that have all that but I need something with some quality.
Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? Or maybe I just need
to get a tool box and build my own set.

Thanks

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 22, 8:02*am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
Roger,
...He also advised me to never
buy a tool that was not of the highest quality. ...
Steve

I have to disagree slightly. First-rate tools are wonderful if you
work inside but they can be lost outdoors as easily as the cheapest
ones.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jun 22, 8:02 am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
Roger,
...He also advised me to never
buy a tool that was not of the highest quality. ...
Steve

I have to disagree slightly. First-rate tools are wonderful if you
work inside but they can be lost outdoors as easily as the cheapest
ones.

Also, IF you need more tools than you can afford in good tools you're possibly better off
with a better variety in cheaper tools. The advantage to cheaper tools is that if you use
them a few times you've gotten your money out of them.

When you get "good" tools remember the saying on so many Snap On tool boxes. "I make my
living with my SnapOn tools. Please don't ask to borrow them!"

Another saying, "I'd rather lend my dog than my tools. My dog knows his way back home!" :-)

Al
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 22, 1:00*pm, Al Patrick wrote:
Also, IF you need more tools than you can afford in *good tools you're possibly better off
with a better variety in cheaper tools. *The advantage to cheaper tools is that if you use
them a few times you've gotten your money out of them.
Al

Good point. Sometimes you need a thin-wall socket, or a deep one, or 6
point, or a swivel socket. Most of the time a cheap thick-walled 6-
point impact socket will do as well on stuck bolts as an expensive SK.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jun 22, 1:00 pm, Al Patrick wrote:
Also, IF you need more tools than you can afford in good tools you're possibly better off
with a better variety in cheaper tools. The advantage to cheaper tools is that if you use
them a few times you've gotten your money out of them.
Al

Good point. Sometimes you need a thin-wall socket, or a deep one, or 6
point, or a swivel socket. Most of the time a cheap thick-walled 6-
point impact socket will do as well on stuck bolts as an expensive SK.

I use mainly Snap-On or SK. BUT I do own a couple cheaper sets as well.
Those are the ones I let the relatives and wanderers use if they need
tools..
They also are handy when you get a messed up bolt or nut. Just find one
that is close and drive it on. Use it and throw away the bolt/nut and
socket. That way you are not trying to put that POS fastener back in...

--
Steve W.