Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any good tool sets?

Don't forget the 1/2" size - sometimes it is the only length that can do
the job or the only one that the ability.

I watch sales - and 10 years ago or so I spotted a 1/2" torque wrench
on sale. I think inventory dump - 7 or 8 USD and I have used it not as
a torque wrench - but it works that way - but as a gentle breaker bar.
I set it to a high foot-pounds and apply pressure. The long bar us handy.

A small handful of bars - extensions and adapters up and down.
It might allow using 3/8 and 1/4 extensions to get down into a small hole.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Carl Boyd wrote:
What I do not like about those sets, is that they have a lot of
repetitions, i.e. a 1/2" hex socket with 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive.

One of the things I do like abou the Craftsman sets is the repetition, for
several reasons.

1) I can carry one ratchet and a handful (hopefully in a rack of some sort)
of sockets to most jobs and have what I need 1/4 drive gets me 9/16" down
for small stuff, 3/8 drive gets me 3/8" to 7/8, 1/2 drive gets me 7/16 to 1
1/4".

2) bolt heads and nuts are frequently the same size and I need 2 7/16"
sockets for 1/4"X20 bolts.

3) sometimes the 3/8" ratchet with a 1/2" socket will not fit, 1/4" drive
will. Sometimes I canlt get enough torque with the 1/4" inch drive.

4) sometimes I have a bunch of 7/16" whatever to turn and 2 sons to help me,
1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 all have sockets to fit.

Carl Boyd