Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al Patrick Al Patrick is offline

Default Any good tool sets?

RogerN wrote:
I'm looking for something I can carry out to work on the lawn mower,
bicycle, tractor, go cart, car, and backhoe. I don't expect a set to have
everything but more of a variety than most of Sears smaller sets would be
nice. I also have metalworking and wood working machinery but have tools
handy in the shop. It's just everytime I go to repair something outside, I
spend more time running back and forth getting tools than I do fixing
anything. If I have a job to do on the backhoe, I expect to lug out the
larger tools as I don't want to carry all these to fix the lawn mower, etc.

RogerN

Roger,

Sounds like you might need a set of sets. I've seen lots of small boxes that only
included say 1/2 drive sockets and drivers. Another might have only 3/8" sockets &
drivers and yet another 1/4" but all had their own compact box. If you're not exactly
sure what size you'll need you might carry the 3/8 & 1/2 sets. This still doesn't include
your screwdrivers, etc. but you can also get sets of just screwdrivers either with
standard grips or possibly better would be with assorted bits to be used with your 1/4" or
3/8" ratchets. I'm not sure, but this *might* be the way to go. I have a small set of
SAE & Metric wrenches that go approx. 1/4 to 7/8". They have their own slot so I can tell
if I left one behind. The SAE on one side, in order and metric on the other side. If I
know I'm just going to sharpen the mower blade this is what I'll grab. Of course I could
just take one 9/16" wrench. ;-)

I don't think you're going to find *one* set to do it all, but if your tools are broken up
into smaller sets you can pretty well take the set or sets you'll need.

Al