Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Any good tool sets?

"RogerN" wrote in message
I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that I
can carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I need. I
like the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more sockets, and other
sockets. I need sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, channel locks, pliers,
cutters, a hammer, hex keys, etc. I see the cheapy homeowner chinese sets
that have all that but I need something with some quality.
Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? Or maybe I just need
to get a tool box and build my own set.

Thanks

RogerN

The following is only my opinion. I believe yours may be different, and
therefore incorrect.

;-)

I have seen tool sets that cost thousands of dollars, and yet, they have
things that the buyer will never use, and don't have things that the buyer
would want and a lot of people consider to be a basic tool.

Therefore, I am for building your own set. We all work on different things,
and there are things we absolutely can't do without. Then there's just
things that make life and a job soooooo much easier. And then there's just
things we like to have and use since they come in real handy and save work,
increase output, and do a better job.

Tool sets have chisels, yet we go out and buy MORE specialty chisels for our
particular work or a particular job. Tool sets have pliers, but how many
have a pair of snap ring pliers? Or some specialty pair of pliers? Handy
things. Tool sets have wrenches, but how many have a particular crow's
foot, distributor wrench, or angled wrench we use a lot? They all come with
about fifty loose Allen wrenches, but I like the sets that are fold up and
stay together. I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Not a lot of real perfect tool sets out there. AND, I have gotten LOTS of
good tools at yard sales for very good prices. I got a new in plastic
Makita cup knot brush today for my grinder, a small miter saw the size of a
big kitchen knife, a Husky painter's tool, and a couple of other things for
$2. They wanted $1.50 and I gave them $2. The brush alone is about fifteen
bucks. Point is, you can build a good set of tools just from yard sales
items that are old school and built to last forever. I think one never ends
building a tool set.

Steve