Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any good tool sets?

Thats it - I have a 12v impact tool. And a set of deep sockets.
Kinda cool. I take it on trips - just in case I have a flat and
can't get the nut loose.

I use it on the tractor getting mower blades off - just plug it in.
The other one requires air - maybe not next to the work.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Al Patrick wrote:
Carl Ijames wrote:
The Channellock brand set that Sam's Club carries is pretty good and
has most of what you want, in a sturdy black hard plastic briefcase.

$70 or so?

I have that set, and have had it for a couple of years. It is a very
good set of tools for many purposes. I doubt it, or any other
reasonably priced set, will include all of what he specified. He didn't
say what size sockets, wrenches, hammers hex keys, etc. he might need.
It will depend partly on what he expects to be working on. Watches?
Bicycles? Lawn mowers? Automobiles? Earth movers? Something all together
different?

I expect he'll need something like this to start with and a separate
box, or two, for his extras - dependent upon tasks to be performed.

I saw a fellow working on a cylinder for an earth mover. It required a
19mm hex key wrench - and a 10' rigid metal pipe for a cheater - to
break those buggers! Probably put on with a 3/4" or 1" impact tool,
with the pressure set too high.

Al

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net

"RogerN" wrote in message
I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that
I can carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I
need. I like the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more sockets,
and other sockets. I need sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, channel
locks, pliers, cutters, a hammer, hex keys, etc. I see the cheapy
homeowner chinese sets that have all that but I need something with
some quality.
Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? Or maybe I just
need to get a tool box and build my own set.

Thanks

RogerN