Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Any good tool sets?

I'm looking for something I can carry out to work on the lawn mower,
bicycle, tractor, go cart, car, and backhoe. I don't expect a set to have
everything but more of a variety than most of Sears smaller sets would be
nice. I also have metalworking and wood working machinery but have tools
handy in the shop. It's just everytime I go to repair something outside, I
spend more time running back and forth getting tools than I do fixing
anything. If I have a job to do on the backhoe, I expect to lug out the
larger tools as I don't want to carry all these to fix the lawn mower, etc.

RogerN

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
news
Carl Ijames wrote:
The Channellock brand set that Sam's Club carries is pretty good and has
most of what you want, in a sturdy black hard plastic briefcase.

$70 or so?

I have that set, and have had it for a couple of years. It is a very good
set of tools for many purposes. I doubt it, or any other reasonably
priced set, will include all of what he specified. He didn't say what
size sockets, wrenches, hammers hex keys, etc. he might need. It will
depend partly on what he expects to be working on. Watches? Bicycles? Lawn
mowers? Automobiles? Earth movers? Something all together different?

I expect he'll need something like this to start with and a separate box,
or two, for his extras - dependent upon tasks to be performed.

I saw a fellow working on a cylinder for an earth mover. It required a
19mm hex key wrench - and a 10' rigid metal pipe for a cheater - to break
those buggers! Probably put on with a 3/4" or 1" impact tool, with the
pressure set too high.

Al

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net

"RogerN" wrote in message
I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that I
can carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I need. I
like the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more sockets, and other
sockets. I need sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, channel locks,
pliers, cutters, a hammer, hex keys, etc. I see the cheapy homeowner
chinese sets that have all that but I need something with some quality.
Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? Or maybe I just
need to get a tool box and build my own set.

Thanks

RogerN