Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Any good tool sets?

Roger,
Perhaps a philosophy is the better answer as opposed to what. When I was 12,
I got a job scraping grease off of truck chassis that were scheduled for
repainting at an auto body repair shop and there I met a sheet metal guy
that had been in the business his whole life. He had this most beautiful
complete set of Snap-On tools and I fell in love with these tools. One day
at lunch, I asked this guy how he could afford these very expensive tools.
He replied that he never could afford to buy them all at once, so he would
buy a tool every time he received a paycheck. He also advised me to never
buy a tool that was not of the highest quality. Well, I took this man's
advice and haven't missed a paycheck purchase since that time. I will be 64
next month and I still buy tools. You will never have everything you need,
ever. Now, I own a complete machine shop, a sheet metal shop, a wood shop,
an electronics shop and multiple roll around tool boxes. I still have most
of the tools that I bought in the beginning, with the exception of those
that were either stolen or borrowed and never returned. Consider your cost
of tools a tax which must be paid forever and then they just accumulate
without pain.
Steve

"RogerN" wrote in message
I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that I
can carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I need. I
like the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more sockets, and other
sockets. I need sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, channel locks, pliers,
cutters, a hammer, hex keys, etc. I see the cheapy homeowner chinese sets
that have all that but I need something with some quality.
Anybody here ran across any good sets worth having? Or maybe I just need
to get a tool box and build my own set.

Thanks

RogerN