Old Nick

Default _Sources_ for carnide chain in the US?

I am trying to get some carbide chain from the US. In Oz it costs a
fortune, even taking shipping, conversion and tax into account. for
instance, to buy a couple of TCT chains from the US, and also a couple
of "Carbide impregnated" ones, will cost me $450 delivered, in $Aud.
To buy in Oz would cost Aud$750. If you see my point.

I found one place (Baileys) that deals in Rapco chain. Baileys say
Rapco do not make a chain in carbide to suit my smaller saw (Husky
136, and probably known as Low Profile) but I know it can be had.

Rapco's site (rapcoindustries.com) seems dead.

Tilton Online sell only in the US. They did not get as far as
indicating whether they had suitable chain, but in any case are only
dealers for Rapco.

There was one other mob I emailed. They dealt with rescue chain. And
yet another that cost as much as Oz anyway.

So does anyone know anyone other than Rapco that deals in TCT chain
for wood purposes?

Thanks for any help.

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad
Old Nick

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:02:53 +0800, Old Nick
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Errr...that's carbide....:-

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad

Old Nick

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:10:11 GMT, "Karl Vorwerk"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Will do. Thank you.

try here. http://www.cutterschoice.com/indexus.shtml
Karl

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad
Bob Robinson

Old Nick wrote:
[...]

Rapco is alive and well, they make the TCT to fit any type of saw ever
made. The web address is: http://www.rapcoindustries.com/index.html

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old Nick

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:42:39 -0500, Bob Robinson
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Rapco's site (rapcoindustries.com) seems dead.

Rapco is alive and well, they make the TCT to fit any type of saw ever
made. The web address is: http://www.rapcoindustries.com/index.html

Hope this helps,

They may well be. But as I said, their site just will not show up. I
even tried manually adding it to my firewall, and also closing the
wall down, but it just comes up dead every time.

friggin blah
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Old Nick wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:42:39 -0500, Bob Robinson
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Rapco's site (rapcoindustries.com) seems dead.

Rapco is alive and well, they make the TCT to fit any type of saw ever
made. The web address is: http://www.rapcoindustries.com/index.html

Hope this helps,

They may well be. But as I said, their site just will not show up. I
even tried manually adding it to my firewall, and also closing the
wall down, but it just comes up dead every time.

Hmm ... they come up fine for me right now. Earlier today
(actually yesterday by now) there was a major DNS server under DDoS
attack, which might account for your problems.

Or it may be that *their* firewall is blocking anything from
out-of-country. I've gotten a lot of spam sent from OZ sites -- as I am
sure that you have gotten a lot sent by US sites. I'm not blocking OZ,
but I am blocking as much as I can of China and Korea (among other
places).

You could try replacing the domain name with the IP address and
see if that will get you through (which would shortcut DNS lookup
problems). Here are the results of my nslookup run:

Name: www.rapcoindustries.com
Address: 216.242.0.56

You could also try a traceroute (if you've got that program in
your system). That could tell you where the connection is failing. It
could be anywhere between your system and theirs. I get as far as the
same class-C block before the traceroute dies, so I suspect that they
have some form of firewall blocking ICMP packets (which traceroute
depends upon).

traceroute to 216.242.0.56 (216.242.0.56), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 SkinnyBox (204.91.85.1) 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms
2 209.116.196.213 (209.116.196.213) 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms
3 165.117.192.198 (165.117.192.198) 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms
4 165.117.175.129 (165.117.175.129) 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms
5 165.117.67.62 (165.117.67.62) 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms
6 165.117.64.9 (165.117.64.9) 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms
7 206.111.0.17.ptr.us.xo.net (206.111.0.17) 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms
8 sl-st21-ash-6-2.sprintlink.net (144.223.246.113) 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms
9 sl-bb26-rly-5-0.sprintlink.net (144.232.20.149) 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms
10 sl-bb22-atl-11-1.sprintlink.net (144.232.19.177) 60 ms 54 ms 36 ms
11 sl-bb20-orl-11-0.sprintlink.net (144.232.19.74) 35 ms 32 ms 35 ms
12 sl-gw11-orl-0-0.sprintlink.net (144.232.2.226) 32 ms 32 ms 32 ms
13 sl-ciberlynxinc-48-0-0.sprintlink.net (160.81.59.50) 38 ms 37 ms 37 ms
14 216.242.114.19 (216.242.114.19) 41 ms 41 ms 41 ms
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *

If all else fails, you can try contacting them via phone or
e-mail, from this information from their web page:

RAPCO INDUSTRIES, INC.
6000 N.E. 88TH ST. SUITE D-104, VANCOUVER, WA 98665-0958
PHONE (800) 959-6130 FAX (360) 573-0046
Email: Email:

When you *do* reach them, please be gentle. The problem may be
nothing to do with them, and just be blocking somewhere upstream.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Old Nick

On 16 Jun 2004 01:23:47 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I wondered if I was being blocked somehow. The site is still dead to
me, either direct or via a reroute via a link etc.

Weirdly enough that IUP address came up with
www.fanceeface.com, which
was also dead to me.

I have faxed them, and certainly I am not dishing them up a serve over
the site being unobtainable.....for a start I _want_ something from
them! G I have not had a reply as yet.

I will try the email. I got the fax from another site's info about
them, but iut dod not have an email address.

Thanks for all that.

Hmm ... they come up fine for me right now. Earlier today
(actually yesterday by now) there was a major DNS server under DDoS
attack, which might account for your problems.

Or it may be that *their* firewall is blocking anything from

You could try replacing the domain name with the IP address and

You could also try a traceroute (if you've got that program in
your system).
If all else fails, you can try contacting them via phone or
e-mail, from this information from their web page:
Email: Email:

When you *do* reach them, please be gentle. The problem may be

diesel_fuel

In article ,
says...
I am trying to get some carbide chain from the US. In Oz it costs a
fortune, even taking shipping, conversion and tax into account. for
instance, to buy a couple of TCT chains from the US, and also a couple
of "Carbide impregnated" ones, will cost me $450 delivered, in $Aud.
To buy in Oz would cost Aud$750. If you see my point.

I found one place (Baileys) that deals in Rapco chain. Baileys say
Rapco do not make a chain in carbide to suit my smaller saw (Husky
136, and probably known as Low Profile) but I know it can be had.

Rapco's site (rapcoindustries.com) seems dead.

Tilton Online sell only in the US. They did not get as far as

Have you tried this mob
TCT Pacific Chain & Tool Co.
P.O. Box 741, Avalon. NSW. 2107
Phone: (02) 9973 2032, 1300 666 031,
Fax: (02) 9973 2019
Email:

Contact: Grant and Lynelle Adams.
Suppliers of Sabre sawchain from John Deere, USA, Silvey chain & bar
grinders, tree jacks, bars, Viiala files, P.P.E. Comprehensive range of
tungsten carbide chainsaw chain.

indicating whether they had suitable chain, but in any case are only
dealers for Rapco.

There was one other mob I emailed. They dealt with rescue chain. And
yet another that cost as much as Oz anyway.

So does anyone know anyone other than Rapco that deals in TCT chain
for wood purposes?

Thanks for any help.

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad

Old Nick

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:20:06 +1000, "David Chambers"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

That site seems to be blocked for me too. I am in Brisbane, Australia.
Dave

hmmm....apparently being part of the alliance of the fai...willing
does not extend its good nature into the industrial world? G
Old Nick

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:53:48 +1000, diesel_fuel
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

for
instance, to buy a couple of TCT chains from the US, and also a couple
of "Carbide impregnated" ones, will cost me $450 delivered, in $Aud.
To buy in Oz would cost Aud$750. If you see my point.

Have you tried this mob
TCT Pacific Chain & Tool Co.

Thanks, but yes. See above about pricing. They were the Oz price. If I
could only _find_ the chain, it poisses me off a bit. I, as a simngle
buyer can get chain for
Old Nick

On 16 Jun 2004 22:42:39 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

In article ,
Old Nick wrote:
On 16 Jun 2004 01:23:47 -0400,
(DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Don. This is weird. I tried _emailing_ one of those emsil addresses.
Nuh!

I've just e-mailed them (both addresses), explaining the problem
as perceived.

In the meanwhile, is your e-mail address given above a valid
one?

I was going to include your e-mail address in my e-mail, so they
could try from that end. But unless I am sure that it is a valid e-mail
address, I won't try that.

And is it one of the challenge-and-response ones? If so, they
may decide that it is too much trouble to bother with. I personally
*hate* challenge-and-response systems -- especially those which don't
even tell me what address I supposedly sent to, so I can be sure that
I'm authenticating myself, instead of a spammer. :-)

I _think_ email addresss in text are safe so far....

No gotchas. It just stays on my provider's
site, I collect manually, and I will dump it if I start to have
trouble. Sort of a "challenge and response". If I get someone genwine,
I let them know my proper email address. Any correspondence from then
on is via that one.

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:32:21 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:42:39 -0500, Bob Robinson
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Rapco's site (rapcoindustries.com) seems dead.

Rapco is alive and well, they make the TCT to fit any type of saw ever
made. The web address is: http://www.rapcoindustries.com/index.html

Hope this helps,

They may well be. But as I said, their site just will not show up. I
even tried manually adding it to my firewall, and also closing the
wall down, but it just comes up dead every time.
************************************************* ******

friggin blah

Well, I see it was produced with that puss-filled, oozing
bit of excrement - FrontPage (not that I have strong opinons about
that sort of thing *smile*). That might be flaking out your
browser. Make sure you have the current version of the browser,
(I happen to prefer Opera, but Netscape is still ok...and IE should
work...probably), and, make sure that JavaScript is turned on.
I don't know if cookies are a problem...in any case, it comes
up fine in MY browser (Opera 7.5x)
Regards
Dave Mundt

Old Nick

On 17 Jun 2004 16:29:05 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I've just e-mailed them (both addresses), explaining the problem
as perceived.

Thanks, Don.

I've gotten a response from them, and I'll cut-and-paste it from
their response.

Don,
We have received e-mail from N F White and have responded but are not
sure we have gotten through.

Huh? My email bounced! I had a bounce, let alone get a reply!

Is that (N F White) you?

It is me. Ahah! I faxed them! Not email. Email would have been
"nfwhite"

TMK I have not had a fax back from them. I'll try again.

Did they say anything about the website?

We have an exclusive distributor for Australia:
"BILLEROY""
195 BAILEY'S LANE
OBERON NSW 27
AUSTRALIA

e-mail Keith Cleton

Ron

It sounds as though they could not sell direct to you, if they
have an exclusive distributor there. But hopefully, the mark up for
them is not too bad.

humph! We shall see....maybe. Sounds like a farmer thinking "That's a
good idea", to me.

I know Bailey's (naming coincidence) in the US were happy to sell to
me, exclusive or not. But they just keep saying the chain won't fit,
and I disagree. That's why I wanted to talk to Rapco.

I hope that this helps,

Appreciated.

Old Nick

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:20:06 +1000, "David Chambers"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

That site seems to be blocked for me too. I am in Brisbane, Australia.
Dave

Dave,

Don Nichols has been talking me through trying to work this out.

There is a programme called traceroute (tracert.exe). In win 98 it
runs under a DOS window. Not sure about OSs. I have to actually open a
DOS window and run it on the command line, in the windows directory.
It takes a few seconds to start showing results.

It shows connections as they are made along the chain.

Could you give it a go, and see where you get stopped (you will see "*
* * * Operation timed out" repeatedly). What IP address is the last
one you see?

If you could do that I would be grateful. Mostly OOI, but also maybe
Rapco needs a heads-up.
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Old Nick wrote:
On 17 Jun 2004 16:29:05 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

[ ... ]

Don,
We have received e-mail from N F White and have responded but are not
sure we have gotten through.

Huh? My email bounced! I had a bounce, let alone get a reply!

:-)

Sometimes a bounce is a temporary one -- a "we can't deliver
your mail so far, but we'll keep trying" type of thing.

Is that (N F White) you?

It is me. Ahah! I faxed them! Not email. Email would have been
"nfwhite"

O.K.

TMK I have not had a fax back from them. I'll try again.

Did they say anything about the website?

Not a word, by which I assume that they are pretty clueless
about the workings of their web page. IIRC, some other firm took the
credit for the page's design and implementation. And it may be that
still a third party is responsible for the blocks.

We have an exclusive distributor for Australia:
"BILLEROY""
195 BAILEY'S LANE
OBERON NSW 27
AUSTRALIA

e-mail Keith Cleton

Ron

It sounds as though they could not sell direct to you, if they
have an exclusive distributor there. But hopefully, the mark up for
them is not too bad.

humph! We shall see....maybe. Sounds like a farmer thinking "That's a
good idea", to me.

:-)

I know Bailey's (naming coincidence) in the US were happy to sell to
me, exclusive or not. But they just keep saying the chain won't fit,
and I disagree. That's why I wanted to talk to Rapco.

O.K. Are the chain pitches sometimes in metric units, and
sometimes in inches, depending on country of origin?

I hope that this helps,

Appreciated.

Let us know what happens.

Good luck,
DoN.

P.S. Is it time to straighten out the spelling of "carbide" in the
"Subject: " header? My spelling checker keeps stumbling over
that one. :-)
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Old Nick

Default _Sources_ for carbide chain in the US?

On 17 Jun 2004 21:44:44 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Sometimes a bounce is a temporary one -- a "we can't deliver
your mail so far, but we'll keep trying" type of thing.

I quote from the bounce

"Sorry, I couldn't find any host by that name. (#4.1.2)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too
long."

Sounds pretty final to me G

Anyway we sorted what really happened. G

It is me. Ahah! I faxed them! Not email. Email would have been
"nfwhite"

O.K.

Did they say anything about the website?

Not a word, by which I assume that they are pretty clueless
about the workings of their web page. IIRC, some other firm took the
credit for the page's design and implementation. And it may be that
still a third party is responsible for the blocks.

I know Bailey's (naming coincidence) in the US were happy to sell to
me, exclusive or not. But they just keep saying the chain won't fit,
and I disagree. That's why I wanted to talk to Rapco.

O.K. Are the chain pitches sometimes in metric units, and
sometimes in inches, depending on country of origin?

No. I am happy to deal in Imperial...sorry...inches. The only thing is
sometimes it's 3/8" and sometimes .375. Then there is .370...go
figure. 1/200th of an inch! Thsi guy tells me the saw only takes .325"
and .370. But everybody else says 3/8".....then there is low profile,
etc.

Let us know what happens.

Will do.

P.S. Is it time to straighten out the spelling of "carbide" in the
that one. :-)

Ok. It will lose the thread, but I take your point. Do you show all
header fields? Or does your SC check the title as well?

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Old Nick wrote:
On 17 Jun 2004 21:44:44 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory

[ ... ]

Sometimes a bounce is a temporary one -- a "we can't deliver
your mail so far, but we'll keep trying" type of thing.

I quote from the bounce

"Sorry, I couldn't find any host by that name. (#4.1.2)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too
long."

Sounds pretty final to me G

Yes -- and this clears up that the problem *here* was access to
the DNS (Domain Name Server) records to look up the IP address of the
system. Apparently, the ISP isn't doing that good a job of propagating
the DNS records for that address.

[ ... ]

O.K. Are the chain pitches sometimes in metric units, and
sometimes in inches, depending on country of origin?

No. I am happy to deal in Imperial...sorry...inches. The only thing is
sometimes it's 3/8" and sometimes .375. Then there is .370...go
figure. 1/200th of an inch! Thsi guy tells me the saw only takes .325"
and .370. But everybody else says 3/8".....then there is low profile,
etc.

What I meant was not the actual units of measurement, but
whether there was an actual physical difference in the pitch of the
sprockets on the saws.

AS for the .375 vs .370 -- I think that may be a side-effect of
people accustomed to mm (where 0.01mm is already pretty small) just
rounding the decimal inches to two significant figures too -- but
continuing to display that third zero. :-)

The .325 may be a matter of just not typing in the right figure
somewhere in there, as it makes no real sense either in fractional inch
or in mm (8.25mm doesn't sound like a normal metric size to me.) .3125"
(5/8") is pretty close to 8mm, but this isn't that, either.

It sounds as though the saw chain will work with no problems
other than the human ones. :-)

Let us know what happens.

Will do.

P.S. Is it time to straighten out the spelling of "carbide" in the
that one. :-)

Ok. It will lose the thread,

Depends on the newsreader. For those which honor the
articles.

but I take your point. Do you show all
header fields? Or does your SC check the title as well?

Both -- my newsreader copies everything, including the headers,
into the editor so I can create my response. This means that the
spelling checker sees all kinds of things which it doesn't like,
including the "Message-IDs: " and "References: ", as well as all kinds
of fractions of e-mail addresses and such. It does not limit itself to
checking just my own new text -- it checks everything. I have to resist
correcting other's spelling in the quoted text. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Wayne Cook

On 17 Jun 2004 23:46:58 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Old Nick wrote:
On 17 Jun 2004 21:44:44 -0400,
(DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory

[ ... ]

[...]

Standard chain pitches in the smaller sizes are.
3/8"
3/8" Low Profile
..325" pitch (I've not got any idea where they came up with this size
but it is standard).
1/4" pitch.

There are larger sizes as well but those are reserved for the large
saws. Most saws that home owners have either take a 3/8" low profile
or a .325 pitch.

Next there's the gauge measurement. This is the thickness of the
drive links. Most smaller saws use a 0.050" gauge. Some saws are set
up for 0.058" gauge (Stihl comes to mind here). There is another gauge
but I don't remember it off the top of my head since I've never seen
it in this part of the country.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Glenn Lyford

Standard chain pitches in the smaller sizes are.
3/8"
3/8" Low Profile
.325" pitch (I've not got any idea where they came up with this size
but it is standard).
1/4" pitch.

Isn't there also a pitch that alternates drive links of one length
(I think .375) with sideplates of another (either .325 or .25),
that's also used on smaller saws?

--Glenn Lyford
Old Nick

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:18:04 GMT, Glenn Lyford
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Standard chain pitches in the smaller sizes are.
3/8"
3/8" Low Profile
.325" pitch (I've not got any idea where they came up with this size
but it is standard).
1/4" pitch.

Isn't there also a pitch that alternates drive links of one length
(I think .375) with sideplates of another (either .325 or .25),
that's also used on smaller saws?

Ooooohhhhhh! Noooooooo! Arrgh!

Actually all saw chain has irregular drive link pin spacing. You
actually measure the pitch by measuring the ditance across _3_ pins
C/C, the dividing by 2. See? Easy and sensible! G

Please tell me that's what you mean!
Old Nick

On 17 Jun 2004 23:46:58 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

"Sorry, I couldn't find any host by that name. (#4.1.2)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too
long."

Sounds pretty final to me G

Yes -- and this clears up that the problem *here* was access to
the DNS (Domain Name Server) records to look up the IP address of the
system. Apparently, the ISP isn't doing that good a job of propagating
the DNS records for that address.

Didi you ever see that Simpson's episode when the dog (Santa's littel
Helper) could not understand what people were saying, and all he could
hear was funny noise?......G Which is to say, sorry you lost me. G
I can see what you mean, but have no idea of how it would happen or
why it should do what it's doing.

Rapco seema weird mob. They get mentioned _everywhere_ as the _THE_
carbide chain maker in the US. But getting people to sell it is
amazing, and they use some penny-ante dealer in Oz, who has no
website, and ...BAH!.

O.K. Are the chain pitches sometimes in metric units, and
sometimes in inches, depending on country of origin?

No. I am happy to deal in Imperial...sorry...inches. The only thing is
sometimes it's 3/8" and sometimes .375. Then there is .370...go
figure. 1/200th of an inch! Thsi guy tells me the saw only takes .325"
and .370. But everybody else says 3/8".....then there is low profile,
etc.

What I meant was not the actual units of measurement, but
whether there was an actual physical difference in the pitch of the
sprockets on the saws.

Yes.

AS for the .375 vs .370 -- I think that may be a side-effect of
people accustomed to mm (where 0.01mm is already pretty small) just
rounding the decimal inches to two significant figures too -- but
continuing to display that third zero. :-)

I see what you mean.

But .370 means nothing in mm. It is a definite pitch all its own. The
saw tech I am trying to get sense out of at Baileys says .370 is
actually 3/8" low profile (which may or may not be true), and Rapco
don't make it. Another Rapco dealer lists 3/8" low profile but won't
sell to me.

The .325 may be a matter of just not typing in the right figure
somewhere in there, as it makes no real sense either in fractional inch
or in mm (8.25mm doesn't sound like a normal metric size to me.)

Nope! It's a pitch alrighty. Quite well known. I agree it makes no
sense, even up to some fraction of 128! G

.3125"
(5/8") is pretty close to 8mm, but this isn't that, either.

5/16" ?

It sounds as though the saw chain will work with no problems
other than the human ones. :-)

hmmmm. G

Let us know what happens.

Will do.

P.S. Is it time to straighten out the spelling of "carbide" in the
that one. :-)

Ok. It will lose the thread,

Depends on the newsreader. For those which honor the

Yeah, that just happened to me. Funny, I have seen threads lost
_because_ there was a "" in front of the header. Oh well, it's
still there.
Enjoy,

WRT saw chain, I am getting to a point where I can't! G

DoN.

Old Nick

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:01:47 -0500, Wayne Cook
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Standard chain pitches in the smaller sizes are.
3/8"
3/8" Low Profile
.325" pitch (I've not got any idea where they came up with this size
but it is standard).
1/4" pitch.

There are larger sizes as well but those are reserved for the large
saws. Most saws that home owners have either take a 3/8" low profile
or a .325 pitch.

Next there's the gauge measurement. This is the thickness of the
drive links. Most smaller saws use a 0.050" gauge. Some saws are set
up for 0.058" gauge (Stihl comes to mind here). There is another gauge
but I don't remember it off the top of my head since I've never seen
it in this part of the country.

..063. Sorry. I have the right to be a smartarse about this. I have
spent enough bloody time researching it! G
Wayne Cook

wrote:

Standard chain pitches in the smaller sizes are.
3/8"
3/8" Low Profile
.325" pitch (I've not got any idea where they came up with this size
but it is standard).
1/4" pitch.

Isn't there also a pitch that alternates drive links of one length
(I think .375) with sideplates of another (either .325 or .25),
that's also used on smaller saws?

Never heard of it but that doesn't mean that somebody didn't try it.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Wayne Cook

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 07:01:16 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

[...]

I wanted to way that but it's been so long since I've read it that I
wasn't sure.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Glenn Lyford

Actually all saw chain has irregular drive link pin spacing. You
actually measure the pitch by measuring the ditance across _3_ pins
C/C, the dividing by 2. See? Easy and sensible! G

Please tell me that's what you mean!

Yeah, something like that. I was looking into this some
when I bought a chain for my dad, so now I've forgotten
all the particulars, but it's not unusual for the nominal
pitch to not match any particular single link in the chain.
Though I want to say that in the larger pitches, they actually
do match. I'd have to dig back into the Oregon site to figure
all this out again, but it sounds like you're on top of it.

--Glenn Lyford

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Old Nick wrote:
On 17 Jun 2004 23:46:58 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

"Sorry, I couldn't find any host by that name. (#4.1.2)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too
long."

Sounds pretty final to me G

Yes -- and this clears up that the problem *here* was access to
the DNS (Domain Name Server) records to look up the IP address of the
system. Apparently, the ISP isn't doing that good a job of propagating
the DNS records for that address.

Didi you ever see that Simpson's episode when the dog (Santa's littel
Helper) could not understand what people were saying, and all he could
hear was funny noise?......G

Nope! I'm one of those who don't watch the Simpsons. But the
principle is clear.

Which is to say, sorry you lost me. G
I can see what you mean, but have no idea of how it would happen or
why it should do what it's doing.

O.K. Let's see ...

1) All systems on the internet are reachable by their IP address.
(one of my systems happens to have the IP address of
204.91.85.10).

2) These numbers mean nothing to *people* -- just to computers, so
each is assigned a name, a combination of the computer's name
(ceilidh is one of mine), and the domain name (.d-and-d.com),
which is registered from one of the registrars.

3) When you want to contact a system, you type in the system's full
name (e.g. ceilidh.d-and-d.com), and your computer asks its DNS
server (Domain Name Server). That server likely doesn't know
anything except very nearby systems, but it looks at it and says
".com" -- O.K. I ask this upstream server. It looks at it, and
if it knows d-and-d.com, it knows where to ask for the final
detail -- the address of ceilidh. If not, it passes the request
on upstream, and eventually finds some name server which knows
"d-and-d.com", and asks it about ceilidh.d-and-d.com.

4) That system finally says -- "Oh yes -- ceilidh.d-and-d.com is
really "204.91.85.10".

5) Finally, armed with this information, the actual connection to
the system can be performed.

Note that the same IP address can have a large number of names,
aliases. This is the case when an ISP offers web services for a large
number of customers with their own domain names and system names. This
sometimes results in failures for DNS lookups, as some systems (I think)
have a limit to how many names will be handled for a single IP address.

For e-mail, what the system should do is ask for the MX record
(mail exchanger) -- the IP address of the system which accepts e-mail
for that name. This is usually a mail server run by the ISP.

What happens sometimes is that the communication between the
various DNS servers is flakey, or the local mail server just asks for
the IP of the system, not the MX record, and can't find an address to
which to deliver the e-mail. This is what happened in your case. If I
still had the e-mail address, I would try a lookup locally.

Rapco seema weird mob. They get mentioned _everywhere_ as the _THE_
carbide chain maker in the US. But getting people to sell it is
amazing, and they use some penny-ante dealer in Oz, who has no
website, and ...BAH!.

Ouch!

[ ... ]

AS for the .375 vs .370 -- I think that may be a side-effect of
people accustomed to mm (where 0.01mm is already pretty small) just
rounding the decimal inches to two significant figures too -- but
continuing to display that third zero. :-)

I see what you mean.

But .370 means nothing in mm. It is a definite pitch all its own.

Agreed -- but it might result from someone accustomed to working
in mm deciding that there was no need for that third figure after the
decimal place. After all, in metric work, that third figure is for
really serious precision, while in decimal inches, it is common
precision.

The
saw tech I am trying to get sense out of at Baileys says .370 is
actually 3/8" low profile (which may or may not be true), and Rapco
don't make it. Another Rapco dealer lists 3/8" low profile but won't
sell to me.

Ouch! Why won't he sell it to you? Does he insist that it will
not fit your saw?

The .325 may be a matter of just not typing in the right figure
somewhere in there, as it makes no real sense either in fractional inch
or in mm (8.25mm doesn't sound like a normal metric size to me.)

Nope! It's a pitch alrighty. Quite well known. I agree it makes no
sense, even up to some fraction of 128! G

Agreed. But the confirmation from Wayne Cook assures me that it
is not a typo.

.3125"
(5/8") is pretty close to 8mm, but this isn't that, either.

5/16" ?

Yes -- sorry about that. I really should not type these things
this late at night. :_)

[ ... ]

P.S. Is it time to straighten out the spelling of "carbide" in the
that one. :-)

Ok. It will lose the thread,

Depends on the newsreader. For those which honor the

Yeah, that just happened to me. Funny, I have seen threads lost
_because_ there was a "" in front of the header.

Those would be with rather stupid newsreaders which base it all
on the "Subject: " header. Those which monitor the "References: "header
will be fine -- except when one of the more stupid newsreaders forgets
to update it, or leaves it off entirely. :-)

Oh well, it's
still there.
Enjoy,

WRT saw chain, I am getting to a point where I can't! G

I hope that it works out for you. I presume that you've tried
asking for "A chain to fit a Quisling brand model 3325XZ" or whatever as
appropriate?

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Old Nick

On 19 Jun 2004 00:40:25 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Didi you ever see that Simpson's episode when the dog (Santa's littel
Helper) could not understand what people were saying, and all he could
hear was funny noise?......G

Nope! I'm one of those who don't watch the Simpsons. But the
principle is clear.

Which is to say, sorry you lost me. G
I can see what you mean, but have no idea of how it would happen or
why it should do what it's doing.

O.K. Let's see ...

1) All systems on the internet are reachable by their IP address.
(one of my systems happens to have the IP address of
204.91.85.10).

snip

And all the dog had to do was "Sit!" G Thanks for that.

The
saw tech I am trying to get sense out of at Baileys says .370 is
actually 3/8" low profile (which may or may not be true), and Rapco
don't make it. Another Rapco dealer lists 3/8" low profile but won't
sell to me.

Ouch! Why won't he sell it to you? Does he insist that it will
not fit your saw?

No. That's the irony. The ones who say they _have_ chain won't sell
overseas. The one who won;t agreeehtere _is_ such a chain _would_ sell
it to me if he agreed it existed! G

I hope that it works out for you. I presume that you've tried
asking for "A chain to fit a Quisling brand model 3325XZ" or whatever as
appropriate?

It feels more like the Danish "Ugly Duckling" at the moment! G

But yes I started _out_ this way. Since then I have learnt a lot, and
now quote chapter and verse every time I post an email.

Hah! I just had a guy come back from a chainsaw shop "What's TCT?"
eeerrrrrrrgh!

Old Nick

On 17 Jun 2004 16:36:00 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

It sounds as though that is where the blocking is occurring. If
we got similar results from other OZ members running the same
traceroute, that would make it sure.

I have had no response from the other Auzzie on this thread. I will
get my wife to try on her logon. May even gether to try at work. That
would really be interesting.

Apparently, they (the company) don't know anything about any
blocking, and they *did* receive your e-mail (as covered in a reply in a
different branch of the thread).

They even semm to have trouble "knowing" whether they replied to my
"email" (in fact a fax) sucessfully.

As it turns out, there seems to be little point to continuing to
try to reach them, as they have an exclusive distributorship agreement
with someone in OZ (also covered in the other thread branch).

Don't trust the local guy to know what he is talking about, based on
past experience with similar setups. I have faxed Rapco again, with
fax no, email, you name it. We shall see.

When I get what I want from them, I am going to ......._politely_.....
let them know that if they want to "go worldwide" they need to wake
up. I mean politely. But often even the most gentle "negative" advice
can cause a very sour response.

........sez he, from his 150 acres of Auzzie bush (actually the Auzzie
bush is now called john howard! G) where he hides from dealing with
people as much as possible, because he gave up the cirporate world
where every ******* made everyone else's business his
own.........hrrrmpph! Sorry.

Old Nick

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:14:15 +1000, "David Chambers"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Sorry I didn't reply earlier.
I tried a trace route and got blocked at the same server as you.
Regards
Dave

Ok. Thanks for that...weird!

"Old Nick" wrote in message
.. .
On 17 Jun 2004 16:36:00 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

It sounds as though that is where the blocking is occurring. If
we got similar results from other OZ members running the same
traceroute, that would make it sure.

I have had no response from the other Auzzie on this thread. I will
get my wife to try on her logon. May even gether to try at work. That
would really be interesting.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Old Nick wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:14:15 +1000, "David Chambers"
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Sorry I didn't reply earlier.
I tried a trace route and got blocked at the same server as you.

Ok. Thanks for that...weird!

O.K. This makes it look as though their spamblocking has gone
wild, and they are considering everything in OZ as potential spam or a
potential system cracker.

I just took your current IP --203.59.191.63 (taken from the
in any blocklists. It is currently in one -- blackholes.five-ten-sg.com,
which lists more entries than many of the others. They are more stable
than spamcop, where entries appear and vanish in the blink of an eye.

The comment which they have associated with the entry is:

"Miscellaneous address blocks which have sent spam here."

Dolores just checked it, and it is also in block.blars.org, and
that one blocks by class-B or class-C IP blocks, not just individual
IPs. (That is, 256 at a time, or 65,536 at a time.)

So -- someone has sent a lot of spam from somewhere in the same
class-C or class-B block (likely several addresses within that range),
and this could block e-mail *to* the company, if the company's ISP uses
one of those blocklists.

However, it should *not* block access to their web page, unless
they have a seriously draconian firewall set up somewhere in there.
This could be the ISP, or the company -- or conceivably the router.
Note that all of Australia (along with China, Korea, Japan, and many
other countries) are in APNIC, and it is possible that the blocking is
against all of APNIC's address space.

I'm afraid that the only way to be *sure* of reaching them (for
you) is a phone call -- or perhaps snail-mail.

Or *perhaps* you could get a free hotmail account which you
could access from OZ, and mail as though from in the USA.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564