DoN. Nichols

Default _Sources_ for carbide chain in the US?

In article ,
Old Nick wrote:
On 17 Jun 2004 23:46:58 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

"Sorry, I couldn't find any host by that name. (#4.1.2)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too
long."

Sounds pretty final to me G

Yes -- and this clears up that the problem *here* was access to
the DNS (Domain Name Server) records to look up the IP address of the
system. Apparently, the ISP isn't doing that good a job of propagating
the DNS records for that address.

Didi you ever see that Simpson's episode when the dog (Santa's littel
Helper) could not understand what people were saying, and all he could
hear was funny noise?......G

Nope! I'm one of those who don't watch the Simpsons. But the
principle is clear.

Which is to say, sorry you lost me. G
I can see what you mean, but have no idea of how it would happen or
why it should do what it's doing.

O.K. Let's see ...

1) All systems on the internet are reachable by their IP address.
(one of my systems happens to have the IP address of
204.91.85.10).

2) These numbers mean nothing to *people* -- just to computers, so
each is assigned a name, a combination of the computer's name
(ceilidh is one of mine), and the domain name (.d-and-d.com),
which is registered from one of the registrars.

3) When you want to contact a system, you type in the system's full
name (e.g. ceilidh.d-and-d.com), and your computer asks its DNS
server (Domain Name Server). That server likely doesn't know
anything except very nearby systems, but it looks at it and says
".com" -- O.K. I ask this upstream server. It looks at it, and
if it knows d-and-d.com, it knows where to ask for the final
detail -- the address of ceilidh. If not, it passes the request
on upstream, and eventually finds some name server which knows
"d-and-d.com", and asks it about ceilidh.d-and-d.com.

4) That system finally says -- "Oh yes -- ceilidh.d-and-d.com is
really "204.91.85.10".

5) Finally, armed with this information, the actual connection to
the system can be performed.

Note that the same IP address can have a large number of names,
aliases. This is the case when an ISP offers web services for a large
number of customers with their own domain names and system names. This
sometimes results in failures for DNS lookups, as some systems (I think)
have a limit to how many names will be handled for a single IP address.

For e-mail, what the system should do is ask for the MX record
(mail exchanger) -- the IP address of the system which accepts e-mail
for that name. This is usually a mail server run by the ISP.

What happens sometimes is that the communication between the
various DNS servers is flakey, or the local mail server just asks for
the IP of the system, not the MX record, and can't find an address to
which to deliver the e-mail. This is what happened in your case. If I
still had the e-mail address, I would try a lookup locally.

Rapco seema weird mob. They get mentioned _everywhere_ as the _THE_
carbide chain maker in the US. But getting people to sell it is
amazing, and they use some penny-ante dealer in Oz, who has no
website, and ...BAH!.

Ouch!

[ ... ]

AS for the .375 vs .370 -- I think that may be a side-effect of
people accustomed to mm (where 0.01mm is already pretty small) just
rounding the decimal inches to two significant figures too -- but
continuing to display that third zero. :-)

I see what you mean.

But .370 means nothing in mm. It is a definite pitch all its own.

Agreed -- but it might result from someone accustomed to working
in mm deciding that there was no need for that third figure after the
decimal place. After all, in metric work, that third figure is for
really serious precision, while in decimal inches, it is common
precision.

The
saw tech I am trying to get sense out of at Baileys says .370 is
actually 3/8" low profile (which may or may not be true), and Rapco
don't make it. Another Rapco dealer lists 3/8" low profile but won't
sell to me.

Ouch! Why won't he sell it to you? Does he insist that it will
not fit your saw?

The .325 may be a matter of just not typing in the right figure
somewhere in there, as it makes no real sense either in fractional inch
or in mm (8.25mm doesn't sound like a normal metric size to me.)

Nope! It's a pitch alrighty. Quite well known. I agree it makes no
sense, even up to some fraction of 128! G

Agreed. But the confirmation from Wayne Cook assures me that it
is not a typo.

.3125"
(5/8") is pretty close to 8mm, but this isn't that, either.

5/16" ?

Yes -- sorry about that. I really should not type these things
this late at night. :_)

[ ... ]

P.S. Is it time to straighten out the spelling of "carbide" in the
"Subject: " header? My spelling checker keeps stumbling over
that one. :-)

Ok. It will lose the thread,

Depends on the newsreader. For those which honor the

Yeah, that just happened to me. Funny, I have seen threads lost
_because_ there was a "" in front of the header.

Those would be with rather stupid newsreaders which base it all
on the "Subject: " header. Those which monitor the "References: "header
will be fine -- except when one of the more stupid newsreaders forgets
to update it, or leaves it off entirely. :-)

Oh well, it's
still there.
Enjoy,

WRT saw chain, I am getting to a point where I can't! G

I hope that it works out for you. I presume that you've tried
asking for "A chain to fit a Quisling brand model 3325XZ" or whatever as
appropriate?

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |