Old Nick

Default _Sources_ for carbide chain in the US?

On 17 Jun 2004 23:46:58 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

"Sorry, I couldn't find any host by that name. (#4.1.2)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too
long."

Sounds pretty final to me G

Yes -- and this clears up that the problem *here* was access to
the DNS (Domain Name Server) records to look up the IP address of the
system. Apparently, the ISP isn't doing that good a job of propagating
the DNS records for that address.

Didi you ever see that Simpson's episode when the dog (Santa's littel
Helper) could not understand what people were saying, and all he could
hear was funny noise?......G Which is to say, sorry you lost me. G
I can see what you mean, but have no idea of how it would happen or
why it should do what it's doing.

Rapco seema weird mob. They get mentioned _everywhere_ as the _THE_
carbide chain maker in the US. But getting people to sell it is
amazing, and they use some penny-ante dealer in Oz, who has no
website, and ...BAH!.

O.K. Are the chain pitches sometimes in metric units, and
sometimes in inches, depending on country of origin?

No. I am happy to deal in Imperial...sorry...inches. The only thing is
sometimes it's 3/8" and sometimes .375. Then there is .370...go
figure. 1/200th of an inch! Thsi guy tells me the saw only takes .325"
and .370. But everybody else says 3/8".....then there is low profile,
etc.

What I meant was not the actual units of measurement, but
whether there was an actual physical difference in the pitch of the
sprockets on the saws.

Yes.

AS for the .375 vs .370 -- I think that may be a side-effect of
people accustomed to mm (where 0.01mm is already pretty small) just
rounding the decimal inches to two significant figures too -- but
continuing to display that third zero. :-)

I see what you mean.

But .370 means nothing in mm. It is a definite pitch all its own. The
saw tech I am trying to get sense out of at Baileys says .370 is
actually 3/8" low profile (which may or may not be true), and Rapco
don't make it. Another Rapco dealer lists 3/8" low profile but won't
sell to me.

The .325 may be a matter of just not typing in the right figure
somewhere in there, as it makes no real sense either in fractional inch
or in mm (8.25mm doesn't sound like a normal metric size to me.)

Nope! It's a pitch alrighty. Quite well known. I agree it makes no
sense, even up to some fraction of 128! G

.3125"
(5/8") is pretty close to 8mm, but this isn't that, either.

5/16" ?

It sounds as though the saw chain will work with no problems
other than the human ones. :-)

hmmmm. G

Let us know what happens.

Will do.

P.S. Is it time to straighten out the spelling of "carbide" in the
"Subject: " header? My spelling checker keeps stumbling over
that one. :-)

Ok. It will lose the thread,

Depends on the newsreader. For those which honor the

Yeah, that just happened to me. Funny, I have seen threads lost
_because_ there was a "" in front of the header. Oh well, it's
still there.
Enjoy,

WRT saw chain, I am getting to a point where I can't! G

DoN.