DoN. Nichols

Default _Sources_ for carbide chain in the US?

In article ,
Old Nick wrote:
On 17 Jun 2004 21:44:44 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory

[ ... ]

Sometimes a bounce is a temporary one -- a "we can't deliver
your mail so far, but we'll keep trying" type of thing.

I quote from the bounce

"Sorry, I couldn't find any host by that name. (#4.1.2)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too
long."

Sounds pretty final to me G

Yes -- and this clears up that the problem *here* was access to
the DNS (Domain Name Server) records to look up the IP address of the
system. Apparently, the ISP isn't doing that good a job of propagating
the DNS records for that address.

[ ... ]

O.K. Are the chain pitches sometimes in metric units, and
sometimes in inches, depending on country of origin?

No. I am happy to deal in Imperial...sorry...inches. The only thing is
sometimes it's 3/8" and sometimes .375. Then there is .370...go
figure. 1/200th of an inch! Thsi guy tells me the saw only takes .325"
and .370. But everybody else says 3/8".....then there is low profile,
etc.

What I meant was not the actual units of measurement, but
whether there was an actual physical difference in the pitch of the
sprockets on the saws.

AS for the .375 vs .370 -- I think that may be a side-effect of
people accustomed to mm (where 0.01mm is already pretty small) just
rounding the decimal inches to two significant figures too -- but
continuing to display that third zero. :-)

The .325 may be a matter of just not typing in the right figure
somewhere in there, as it makes no real sense either in fractional inch
or in mm (8.25mm doesn't sound like a normal metric size to me.) .3125"
(5/8") is pretty close to 8mm, but this isn't that, either.

It sounds as though the saw chain will work with no problems
other than the human ones. :-)

Let us know what happens.

Will do.

P.S. Is it time to straighten out the spelling of "carbide" in the
"Subject: " header? My spelling checker keeps stumbling over
that one. :-)

Ok. It will lose the thread,

Depends on the newsreader. For those which honor the
articles.

but I take your point. Do you show all
header fields? Or does your SC check the title as well?

Both -- my newsreader copies everything, including the headers,
into the editor so I can create my response. This means that the
spelling checker sees all kinds of things which it doesn't like,
including the "Message-IDs: " and "References: ", as well as all kinds
of fractions of e-mail addresses and such. It does not limit itself to
checking just my own new text -- it checks everything. I have to resist
correcting other's spelling in the quoted text. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |