Charlie Bress

Check my earlier post. I had you writing rather than calling.
But my advice was to start at the top and let the crap flow down hill.
I am glad to see that going that route was successful and will watch to see
how the installation goes.

Charlie

wrote in message
oups.com...
Boy you can take a beating here if you make a mistake, the door size is
79 1/4 not 70 1/4 sorry!

Also let me point out I'm far from being a crybaby! 7 months for a
door slab is just CRAZY! I think I've been more then patient with
them, it's not time to get some answers.

Here is the latest:

I contact the corporate office via phone yesterday and asked to speak
with Robert Niblock the President with the full knowledge that at best
I'd speak with his administrator, which is exactly what happened.

I explained the situation to her and faxed her over a detailed summary
of the over 70 calls & 20 visits to Lowe's about my door along with
other issues and things I've been told.

Low & behold last night at 6pm I received a call from the "new"
store sales manager who was so surprised to hear of this problem I
have. Mine you I have never talked to him before so I have to assume
he is new to the store. He stated he was contacted by corporate to
resolve my problem ASAP. Now get this he said they have the door in
the store (I asked for how long he refused to answer) even though 8
hours earlier I was told the door was still not in and they have no
idea when it will be. He went on to say that within 1 hour I would hear
from an installer on a date they can come a install the door. Well
guess what over the next hour I got 3 different Lowe's installers
calling me to install the door. So as of now they are set up for this
Monday at 12.

At this point I will be holding off the letter I wrote to corporate but
will be sending a revise one if the install goes well about all the
problems and lies I've been told by the store employees.

I will keep everybody posted on the progress,

John Harlow

Boy you can take a beating here if you make a mistake, the door size
is 79 1/4 not 70 1/4 sorry!

Also let me point out I'm far from being a crybaby! 7 months for a
door slab is just CRAZY! I think I've been more then patient with
them, it's not time to get some answers.

It's the nature of usenet. I am actually surprised how relatively civil
this thread has stayed. By now it usually deteriorates into Microsoft
bashing.

Steve Manes

On 2 Mar 2005 09:39:44 -0800, wrote:

To make a looong story short, I order a front door, just a slab, no
prep, no nothing, just a plain front door, on August 2nd 2004. As of
today I don't have the door, I cannot get a delievery date for the
door, and they continue to hold my money and refuse to give it back
claiming this is a special order door because it's 70'1/4 not the
standard 70".

It's no help to you in your current situation but for the future (in
case you or anybody else needs a quality, custom, solid-core door), I
use
www.interiordoors.com. These folks have great prices, lots of
different styles and were a pleasure to work with. Construction was
immaculate... all m&t hardwood with nice grain and color matching.
Delivery was on-time and the doors were well protected from shipping
damage.

I have no connection with them. But if a vendor does a good job I
want to share them, especially given the ridiculous prices and
delivery times I got from others. I was actually so fed up that I'd
already bought the mortising attachment for my drill press and was
going to build the five-panel oak doors myself until I stumbled on
their website.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house/bbs
Sexytom976

Sounds like they have inventory problems over there.
Oh well at least what you want is in. Most likely for the
last 5-6 months.... Hope the install goes well!

wrote:
[...]

Felix

No
Greg G wrote:
On 2 Mar 2005 09:39:44 -0800,
wrote:

To make a looong story short, I order a front door, just a slab,

no
prep, no nothing, just a plain front door, on August 2nd 2004. As

of
today I don't have the door, I cannot get a delievery date for the
door, and they continue to hold my money and refuse to give it

back
claiming this is a special order door because it's 70'1/4 not the
standard 70".

I'm surprised that this has gotten by 30 posts without comment. 70"

is
5'10". I'm a little height challenged, so I'd be able to pass, but

lot of my friends would end up with a helluva crease in their
foreheads. Maybe you're building something for that very funny

Geico
commercial? (The fake reality show "Tiny House")

So I'm guessing you mean 80" as the standard and you wanted

80-1/4".
That's still awfully close to the standard size that you could get

for
a lot less money. I'm assuming that you have an existing doorway

that
you absolutely can't modify, even with a slightly different sadlle?

Greg Guarino

Duane Bozarth

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:
After six months, I'd say you are well within your rights to involve the BBB and
perhaps your local newspaper's and TV station's consumer assistance folks.
Embarass them if nothing else into coughing up either the door (not likely) or
your refund along with an apology.

Be sure to file a complaint against them with the Better Business Bureau. If
nobody else can get them to move, the BBB probably will.

Need to keep up...

He posted that his phone call to HQ resulted in overnight action...

Dee

"A fish rots from the head down."

Is that true?? Jeez, that's nasty.

See if you can replace the order with a standard in-stock door, then shim
the opening. Good luck.

chibiabos

In article u8pVd.52276$uc.44367@trnddc08, Robert Allison
wrote:

John Harlow wrote:

wrote:

To make a looong story short, I order a front door, just a slab, no
prep, no nothing, just a plain front door, on August 2nd 2004. As of
today I don't have the door, I cannot get a delievery date for the
door, and they continue to hold my money and refuse to give it back
claiming this is a special order door because it's 70'1/4 not the
standard 70".

Wow - interesting. I was considering ordering a non-standard door from
them
as well. Good luck and keep us posted.

I know that alot of the people on this NG are homeowners and not
professionals in construction. As a professional, my jaw drops to
the floor when I read this kind of statement.

Here is a comparison between Big Box and real door mills for those
of you not in the business;

Last week, I needed two 3' 2 panel doors for an ADA retrofit. The
doors had to match the existing doors in the home. I was at Home
Depot, so I asked about 2 panel doors. Special order for a 2 panel
interior prehung door unit. How long? 4 weeks. I said no thanks.
Standing right there at the door counter, I called my door mill
(Cen-Tex door and frame in Austin, TX) ordered the doors over the
phone. Picked them up that afternoon for $30.00 LESS per door than
Home Depot.

During our remodel, we ordered a special bathtub faucet & spout from
HD. When, 90 days later, we still hadn't received the fixture, we
cancelled the order and went to an appointment-only bath design
showroom. They had part of the fixture in stock (the most important
part, the valve) and the rest shipped to us in 7 days, and it was $49
cheaper than the HD model.

-Frank
MikeP

In article .com,
says...
[...]

Good for you, phone calls to the corp office usually work.

In the future I would recommend never placing a special/custom
order form any of the box/chain stores. They are merchandisers
..... they sell what is on the shelf and that's about it. If it is
on the shelf and you like it buy it .... other wise go to a smaller
specialty store.

John Willis

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 05:56:55 GMT, MikeP scribbled this
interesting note:

In the future I would recommend never placing a special/custom
order form any of the box/chain stores. They are merchandisers
.... they sell what is on the shelf and that's about it. If it is
on the shelf and you like it buy it .... other wise go to a smaller
specialty store.

There is another rule of thumb that goes along with this good bit of
advice: If, while in a big box store, you feel the need to ask a
question of the hired help, then you are almost always better off just
leaving and going to a real store.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Greg

wrote in message
BTW - I believe it is illegal for a company to actually charge your
credit card for an item until it actually gets shipped. Worth checking
into!

Good vendors won't charge your card before shipping the product, but I am
not aware of any law that prevents that obnoxious practice. That is
particulary true with special orders.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Greg" wrote in message
wrote in message
BTW - I believe it is illegal for a company to actually charge your
credit card for an item until it actually gets shipped. Worth checking
into!

Good vendors won't charge your card before shipping the product, but I am
not aware of any law that prevents that obnoxious practice. That is
particulary true with special orders.

The law was intended for mail-order firms that were taking the money and not
delivering on a timely basis. Special orders often require a deposit of
cash or CC to insure you will not cancel and stick the company with a
special item they cannot sell otherwise.

smithfarms pure kona

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:49:55 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Greg" wrote in message
wrote in message
BTW - I believe it is illegal for a company to actually charge

your
credit card for an item until it actually gets shipped. Worth

checking
into!

Good vendors won't charge your card before shipping the product,

but I am
not aware of any law that prevents that obnoxious practice. That

is
particulary true with special orders.

The law was intended for mail-order firms that were taking the money

and not
delivering on a timely basis. Special orders often require a deposit

of
cash or CC to insure you will not cancel and stick the company with a
special item they cannot sell otherwise.

I sell all my coffee mail order and use a national merchant card
service. There is nothing that says you cannot charge before the
product is sent, ostensibly to be sure the card is good and not being
used from a place near the graveyard in Nigeria. I ran that card
through my system after I seriously got that as a shipping address for
an order and of course, the card was bogus.

--And to be fair, I do know some people who do not send until the
charge has gone through.

As a former poster said, I personally do not charge until the product
is in the mail, sometimes even days later cuz I am the whole office
staff. I hate to say this out loud and test the karma, but we have
never been ripped off, thank you universe.

with aloha,
Cea
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
Charles Spitzer

wrote:

"Greg" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

don't some credit card companies make this be part of their contract with
the merchant?

smithfarms pure kona

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:37:39 GMT, wrote:

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:48:23 GMT, smithfarms pure kona
wrote:

[...]

As far as I am aware, all of the major credit card companies have a
system where the merchant can verify credit, and reserve a reasonable
amount to cover anticipated charges yet to be made. This isn't some
"hidden" feature.

BB

Yes, you are correct. My card company has authorize as an option.
But you have to fill it all out and unless you are suspicious as I was
with the Nigeria order, it is extra work to an office staff of one
persong, because when you actually charge the card you have to be
careful to only do the step after authorize.

OT--I am a little wary of my merchant service, with my dubious
electrical connection because two times in the last 5 years, the
electricity has apparently wavered and I have double charged my
customers and didn't know it. Oh well, once I am in that charge card
software, I want to do it once only. FYI I live at the end of an
electricity line in a very rural area.

aloha,
Cea
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
Greg

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
The law was intended for mail-order firms that were taking the money and

not
delivering on a timely basis. Special orders often require a deposit of
cash or CC to insure you will not cancel and stick the company with a
special item they cannot sell otherwise.

Again, I believe that there is no such law. Have you actually seen the law?
Is it state or federal?

Greg

Edwin Pawlowski

"Greg" wrote in message
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
The law was intended for mail-order firms that were taking the money and

not
delivering on a timely basis. Special orders often require a deposit of
cash or CC to insure you will not cancel and stick the company with a
special item they cannot sell otherwise.

Again, I believe that there is no such law. Have you actually seen the
law?
Is it state or federal?

Greg

There are Federal laws covering how mail order can be handled. It is also
required that seller notify the buyer if goods cannot be shipped in a given
time, I believe it is 30 days, and offer the option of cancellation. There
may be exceptions for special items or if a time is noted at the time of
order placement, such as the TV deal that state "allow 6 to 8 weeks for
delivery"

Have I seen it? No , when I visited Washington I spent most of my time
visiting monuments and museums.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"Greg" wrote in message
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
The law was intended for mail-order firms that were taking the money and

not
delivering on a timely basis. Special orders often require a deposit of
cash or CC to insure you will not cancel and stick the company with a
special item they cannot sell otherwise.

Again, I believe that there is no such law. Have you actually seen the
law?
Is it state or federal?

Seems like it is not a Federal law
http://www.pcguide.com/buy/pur/prob/comPre-c.html
Credit Card Pre-Charge

Of all the different policies that differentiate vendors, the one that is
probably the most controversial relates to when a vendor charges your credit
card on a mail order or online purchase--especially if the item is
backordered or cannot ship immediately for some other reason. Some companies
will charge your credit card the instant you place your order, even if the
item you are ordering is not in stock, and even if they have no idea when or
even if it will ship. Others will take your order but charge your card only
when the item actually is sent.

Unfortunately, in many jurisdictions it is not illegal to precharge a credit
card for an item that is backordered, though in some places it is. You have
to check your local statutes. Where it is legal, many credit card merchant
service companies specifically disallow this practice as a condition of the
contract the vendor signs to accept credit cards. Of course the typical
vendor doesn't publish its credit card merchant agreement, even if they
aren't violating it, so it's not like you can easily check this. ;^)

http://www.howtoadvice.com/MailOrderLaws
THE 30 DAY RULE

To protect the consumer the FTC has enacted the Mail Order Merchandise rule
which is generally referred to as the 30 Day Rule. Many states have enacted
similar laws. some of those laws have a more narrow definition than the
federal law; the most notable is New York State.

The 30 Day Rule requires the seller to deliver the order within a 30 day
period, unless otherwise stated in the sales literature. if the seller, for
example, states in the order form that delivery takes 4 to 6 weeks, he has
effectively insulated himself from the law. In a practical matter, however,
he may have also affected his business in a negative way.

The 30 day period begins when an order arrives and has been properly paid
for.

The 30 Day Rule is an easy regulation with which to comply. It should rarely
take longer than 30 days to fill an order. If it does, the seller must
notify the buyer of the delay and the reason for it.

Some mail order companies delay shipment of orders until checks rendered for
payment have cleared. This should generally not take longer than 10 days. If
the seller wishes to follow such a policy, he should so state in his
literature. From the perspective of a mail order operator, I do not consider
this to be a sound policy. NSF and ACCOUNT CLOSED checks are relatively rare
and can be minimized with proper controls. If you practice such a policy,
you may save a few dollars but in return you will make customers unhappy. I
personally do not buy from companies that state in their literature that
they hold checks for clearance. Most mail order companies experience very
small bad debt ratios. It is recommended that you call the bank the check is
drawn on to verify funds on larger amounts; as for example, on orders over
$50.

Once the buyer has been notified that an order has been delayed, the seller
is automatically granted an additional 30 day delay unless the customer
advises the seller that the delay is not acceptable. If he does not reply to
the notification, it constitutes legal acceptance of the delay. In general,
and in most states, the seller may obtain a second 30 day delay as long as
there is a good enough reason.

The New York law differs from the federal law in that it stipulates a
maximum period of 65 days (including delays) for an order to be filled.
Newcomers to the mail order field residing in New York State should obtain a
copy of the New York regulations.

The 30 Day Rule does not pertain to credit card sales. Credit card charges
should be processed when an order is filled. If a mail order credit card
sale is cancelled, the seller must issue a credit against the account of the
buyer within one billing cycle following receipt of the cancellation
request.

Found some interesting information on consumer laws here also.
http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/...sumer_laws.htm

Greg

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...
Again, I believe that there is no such law. Have you actually seen the
law?
Is it state or federal?

Seems like it is not a Federal law

It is also not a state law where I live. Many people assume that we have
laws protecting us from blatantly unethical behavior when we actually do
not. The Internet has far too many unethical vendors who are very willing
to cheat people for us to assume that the gov't has the wisdom to establish
obvious and logical laws to prevent it.

"CAVEAT EMPTOR" can not be said loudly enough in the Internet world. It is
a very costly luxury to be stupid or lazy when making purchases on the
Internet.

Greg

DOOR UPDATE!

Ok so the door got installed yesterday. I'm still in shock!

Apparently I did need a 79 1/4 inch door as the door they sent was a
little more that a =BC inch short. They installer centered it and put a
rubber flap on the bottom to prevent any air from getting in. He said
this is common and not to be concerned. My question is, should I be?
I do not feel any air through it nor do I see any light pass through it
when using a flashlight.

Also the door seems very tight, knob is a bit hard to turn when
opening. It not hitting just closing tight! He said this would break
in and loosen up. Is this common?

Felix

Noozer

Are you sure that the new door really is 79 1/4"? Maybe then just sent a 79"
door and had the installer "fudge" it into place.

wrote in message
oups.com...
DOOR UPDATE!

Ok so the door got installed yesterday. I'm still in shock!

Apparently I did need a 79 1/4 inch door as the door they sent was a
little more that a ¼ inch short. They installer centered it and put a
rubber flap on the bottom to prevent any air from getting in. He said
this is common and not to be concerned. My question is, should I be?
I do not feel any air through it nor do I see any light pass through it
when using a flashlight.

Also the door seems very tight, knob is a bit hard to turn when
opening. It not hitting just closing tight! He said this would break
in and loosen up. Is this common?

Felix

John Willis

The question is, what is the margin around the door? Even if it is a
little small, there are door sweeps (ie. little rubber flap) that
attach to the inside of the door, but I prefer a seal that attaches to
the bottom and seals against the top of the threshold.

As to the fit, no that isn't right. A properly fitted door will open
and close just as easily right after installation as it will years
later (assuming the foundation isn't moving around!:~) If it is hard
to turn the knob, it will continue to be difficult. Either the knob
isn't aligned correctly in the door or the striker plate isn't aligned
with the assembly. Either way it is aminor matter of adjustment to fix
the problem and one the installer shouldn't have left you with.

As for that extra 1/4", doors need approximately a 1/8" margin at the
top and sides. Slightly more is ok, less isn't. Unless you are
installing a door unit and have plenty of room for shims, the bottom
of the door can be a bit variable, depending on the installation.
There are even thresholds that adjust in height if the bottom margin
is a bit too much. This is why I was saying ording a door at 79 1/4"
tall seemed a bit silly since there are lots of oprions for taking up
that small amount of extra space.

Let this be a lesson for you-never have the big box stores do special
orders and never have them hire out the installation of anything.
Typically they use the lowest cost installer, and is that really who
you want working on your home?

Glad it worked out. Hope you get the door knob issue resolved!

On 8 Mar 2005 06:54:14 -0800, scribbled this
interesting note:

wrote in message
[...]

Goedjn

As to the fit, no that isn't right. A properly fitted door will open
and close just as easily right after installation as it will years
later (assuming the foundation isn't moving around!:~) If it is hard
to turn the knob, it will continue to be difficult. Either the knob
isn't aligned correctly in the door or the striker plate isn't aligned
with the assembly. Either way it is aminor matter of adjustment to fix
the problem and one the installer shouldn't have left you with.

Or there's weather-stripping on the doorstops that the installer
expects to crush down over a few weeks.

Duane Bozarth

Goedjn wrote:

As to the fit, no that isn't right. A properly fitted door will open
and close just as easily right after installation as it will years
later (assuming the foundation isn't moving around!:~) If it is hard
to turn the knob, it will continue to be difficult. Either the knob
isn't aligned correctly in the door or the striker plate isn't aligned
with the assembly. Either way it is aminor matter of adjustment to fix
the problem and one the installer shouldn't have left you with.

Or there's weather-stripping on the doorstops that the installer
expects to crush down over a few weeks.

Depends on whether the knob is hard to turn only when the door is closed
or not...if it's stiff while open, there's a problem in the set. If
it's only when closed, see if putting some pressure on the door to close
it "tighter" relieves the stiffness or makes it worse--also, if the
latch is not aligned w/ the catch quite right there may well be a
tell-tale scratch area showing where...

I agree however, that for the price it should be smooth-operating when
the installer leaves...
Duane Bozarth

Duane Bozarth wrote:
....regarding stiff lockset after new door install...

I agree however, that for the price it should be smooth-operating when
the installer leaves...

Of course, it could be just a cheap POS lockset, too...

OK, so Lowe's came back yesterday and made an adjustment to the keyset
and now all is well.

Looks like in the end I'm fianally happy and allthough I will continue
to shop at Lowe's I will NOT be placing any more orders or special
orders with them.

Felix