chibiabos

In article u8pVd.52276$uc.44367@trnddc08, Robert Allison
wrote:

John Harlow wrote:

wrote:

To make a looong story short, I order a front door, just a slab, no
prep, no nothing, just a plain front door, on August 2nd 2004. As of
today I don't have the door, I cannot get a delievery date for the
door, and they continue to hold my money and refuse to give it back
claiming this is a special order door because it's 70'1/4 not the
standard 70".

Wow - interesting. I was considering ordering a non-standard door from
them
as well. Good luck and keep us posted.

I know that alot of the people on this NG are homeowners and not
professionals in construction. As a professional, my jaw drops to
the floor when I read this kind of statement.

Here is a comparison between Big Box and real door mills for those
of you not in the business;

Last week, I needed two 3' 2 panel doors for an ADA retrofit. The
doors had to match the existing doors in the home. I was at Home
Depot, so I asked about 2 panel doors. Special order for a 2 panel
interior prehung door unit. How long? 4 weeks. I said no thanks.
Standing right there at the door counter, I called my door mill
(Cen-Tex door and frame in Austin, TX) ordered the doors over the
phone. Picked them up that afternoon for $30.00 LESS per door than
Home Depot.

During our remodel, we ordered a special bathtub faucet & spout from
HD. When, 90 days later, we still hadn't received the fixture, we
cancelled the order and went to an appointment-only bath design
showroom. They had part of the fixture in stock (the most important
part, the valve) and the rest shipped to us in 7 days, and it was $49
cheaper than the HD model.

-Frank