Charles Spitzer

"smithfarms pure kona" wrote in message
On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:49:55 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Greg" wrote in message
wrote in message
BTW - I believe it is illegal for a company to actually charge

your
credit card for an item until it actually gets shipped. Worth

checking
into!

Good vendors won't charge your card before shipping the product,

but I am
not aware of any law that prevents that obnoxious practice. That

is
particulary true with special orders.

The law was intended for mail-order firms that were taking the money

and not
delivering on a timely basis. Special orders often require a deposit

of
cash or CC to insure you will not cancel and stick the company with a
special item they cannot sell otherwise.

I sell all my coffee mail order and use a national merchant card
service. There is nothing that says you cannot charge before the
product is sent, ostensibly to be sure the card is good and not being
used from a place near the graveyard in Nigeria. I ran that card
through my system after I seriously got that as a shipping address for
an order and of course, the card was bogus.

--And to be fair, I do know some people who do not send until the
charge has gone through.

As a former poster said, I personally do not charge until the product
is in the mail, sometimes even days later cuz I am the whole office
staff. I hate to say this out loud and test the karma, but we have
never been ripped off, thank you universe.

with aloha,
Cea
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff

don't some credit card companies make this be part of their contract with
the merchant?