John Willis

The question is, what is the margin around the door? Even if it is a
little small, there are door sweeps (ie. little rubber flap) that
attach to the inside of the door, but I prefer a seal that attaches to
the bottom and seals against the top of the threshold.

As to the fit, no that isn't right. A properly fitted door will open
and close just as easily right after installation as it will years
later (assuming the foundation isn't moving around!:~) If it is hard
to turn the knob, it will continue to be difficult. Either the knob
isn't aligned correctly in the door or the striker plate isn't aligned
with the assembly. Either way it is aminor matter of adjustment to fix
the problem and one the installer shouldn't have left you with.

As for that extra 1/4", doors need approximately a 1/8" margin at the
top and sides. Slightly more is ok, less isn't. Unless you are
installing a door unit and have plenty of room for shims, the bottom
of the door can be a bit variable, depending on the installation.
There are even thresholds that adjust in height if the bottom margin
is a bit too much. This is why I was saying ording a door at 79 1/4"
tall seemed a bit silly since there are lots of oprions for taking up
that small amount of extra space.

Let this be a lesson for you-never have the big box stores do special
orders and never have them hire out the installation of anything.
Typically they use the lowest cost installer, and is that really who
you want working on your home?

Glad it worked out. Hope you get the door knob issue resolved!

On 8 Mar 2005 06:54:14 -0800, scribbled this
interesting note:

No that's what i meant they sent a 79" door that's why it was short by
1/4 of an inch.

Felix
Noozer wrote:
Are you sure that the new door really is 79 1/4"? Maybe then just

sent a 79"
door and had the installer "fudge" it into place.

wrote in message
oups.com...
DOOR UPDATE!

Ok so the door got installed yesterday. I'm still in shock!

Apparently I did need a 79 1/4 inch door as the door they sent was a
little more that a ¼ inch short. They installer centered it and put

rubber flap on the bottom to prevent any air from getting in. He

said
this is common and not to be concerned. My question is, should I be?
I do not feel any air through it nor do I see any light pass through

it
when using a flashlight.

Also the door seems very tight, knob is a bit hard to turn when
opening. It not hitting just closing tight! He said this would break
in and loosen up. Is this common?

Felix

--
John Willis