tivo-guy

Default When to replace water heater?

I'm looking for some advice on when to replace a water heater. Obviously
when it ruptures and water goes all over your basement is a good time, but
prior to that, what is a good rule of thumb. The reason I'm asking is that
our local gas company is offering a $200 rebate to customers for their
purchase and installation of a new water heater. Our 50-gal water heater
appears to be functioning just fine but it's 10 years old. From what I can
tell it has a 5 year warranty from Rheem. I'm wondering if it would be wise,
or overly cautious, to replace it at this point. Any advice? Thanks.

Speedy Jim

tivo-guy wrote:

I'm looking for some advice on when to replace a water heater. Obviously
when it ruptures and water goes all over your basement is a good time, but
prior to that, what is a good rule of thumb. The reason I'm asking is that
our local gas company is offering a $200 rebate to customers for their
purchase and installation of a new water heater. Our 50-gal water heater
appears to be functioning just fine but it's 10 years old. From what I can
tell it has a 5 year warranty from Rheem. I'm wondering if it would be wise,
or overly cautious, to replace it at this point. Any advice? Thanks.

Avg life on gas heaters is 10 years.
YMMV

Jim
Mike

This $200 rebate, to qualify, do they say who you have to get the next
one through? I feel an inflated installation charge/unit price coming.
I imagine they will restrict you to buying a gas unit over electric so
what other rules are in there?

If you can go to Sears/Lowes/HD and get a new one installed for $400 or
less, and still get the rebate, then that might not be a bad deal.

Mines 26 years old and on its 3rd set of elements(electric). I drain it
every two years and check the elements. Have you been draining it to
remove any sediment build-up?

Peter Bagrationoff

Tivo you must live in Georgia! I am getting mine installed tomorrow. I
am replacing a 14 year-old AO Smith. I decided to take the Home Depot
route and bought the 12-year warranty GE 40 GAL. Just make sure a
licenced plumber installs it or you won't get the rebate!

tivo-guy wrote:
I'm looking for some advice on when to replace a water heater. Obviously
when it ruptures and water goes all over your basement is a good time, but
prior to that, what is a good rule of thumb. The reason I'm asking is that
our local gas company is offering a $200 rebate to customers for their
purchase and installation of a new water heater. Our 50-gal water heater
appears to be functioning just fine but it's 10 years old. From what I can
tell it has a 5 year warranty from Rheem. I'm wondering if it would be wise,
or overly cautious, to replace it at this point. Any advice? Thanks.

Frank

"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
You could check the anode and replace it if necessary. The anode is there
to protect the glass. Once it dissolves the water starts on the glass.

Protect the glass?

Hot water heaters are not that hard to replace yourself. I did mine
about 6 years ago - try to get one that is the same height as the
existing one. cold water in, hot water out, connect the vent, light it
up, that's it...

I think I bought mine at HD for about $325, it was the best 40g one
they had. (I only have two people in my house.)

FWIW, my old one gave symptoms of going when it failed to keep up with
hot water demands...that when I got rid of it.

When it starts to go, replace it, but that gas co. deal looks like a
sucker bet.

Bluesman

tivo-guy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hot water heaters are not that hard to replace yourself. I did mine
about 6 years ago - try to get one that is the same height as the
existing one. cold water in, hot water out, connect the vent, light it
up, that's it...

I think I bought mine at HD for about $325, it was the best 40g one
they had. (I only have two people in my house.)

FWIW, my old one gave symptoms of going when it failed to keep up with
hot water demands...that when I got rid of it.

When it starts to go, replace it, but that gas co. deal looks like a
sucker bet.

What do you mean - sucker bet?

Joseph Meehan

tivo-guy wrote:
I'm looking for some advice on when to replace a water heater.
Obviously when it ruptures and water goes all over your basement is a
good time, but prior to that, what is a good rule of thumb. The
reason I'm asking is that our local gas company is offering a $200
rebate to customers for their purchase and installation of a new
water heater. Our 50-gal water heater appears to be functioning just
fine but it's 10 years old. From what I can tell it has a 5 year
warranty from Rheem. I'm wondering if it would be wise, or overly
cautious, to replace it at this point. Any advice? Thanks.

Local conditions make the biggest difference and different brands and
models also make a difference. The best way is to be in a new development
where all the homes were built at about the same time using the same hot
water heaters. As you start seeing your neighbors replacing theirs, it is
time to do the same.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

tivo-guy

I am in GA. Roswell to be exact. So you're going to get the $200 AGL offer
and the $50 gift card from HD for buying a heater there? Out of curiosity,
how much will your installation cost? Did you go through HD? Thanks!

tivo-guy wrote:
I'm looking for some advice on when to replace a water heater. Obviously
when it ruptures and water goes all over your basement is a good time,
but prior to that, what is a good rule of thumb. The reason I'm asking
is that our local gas company is offering a $200 rebate to customers for
their purchase and installation of a new water heater. Our 50-gal water
heater appears to be functioning just fine but it's 10 years old. From
what I can tell it has a 5 year warranty from Rheem. I'm wondering if it
would be wise, or overly cautious, to replace it at this point. Any
advice? Thanks.

Frank

"tivo-guy" wrote in message
I'm looking for some advice on when to replace a water heater. Obviously
when it ruptures and water goes all over your basement is a good time, but
prior to that, what is a good rule of thumb. The reason I'm asking is
that our local gas company is offering a $200 rebate to customers for
their purchase and installation of a new water heater. Our 50-gal water
heater appears to be functioning just fine but it's 10 years old. From
what I can tell it has a 5 year warranty from Rheem. I'm wondering if it
would be wise, or overly cautious, to replace it at this point. Any
advice? Thanks.

Replace if:

1) When the tenant calls and tell you there is no hot water.

2) Water is just warm even you crank the thermostat way up.

3) Major rust in or around the tank.

I never had a ruptured tank, mine just goes out or doesn't get hot. 10 year
old tank may last for just one more day or for another 10 or more years. For
me I consider a 10 year old tank fully deprecated much like a 10 year old
car and if someone give me $200 and my net installed cost not over $400 for
a 50 gal tank I would go for it. A new tank should also save you on the
energy bill.

Roger Shoaf

The first thing you need to do is check the anode and the dip tube. The
best thing I have ever seen on water heaters is he

http://waterheaterrescue.com/

When you read through the information here you might very well take steps to
make the one you have last as long as you own your house.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"tivo-guy" wrote in message
I'm looking for some advice on when to replace a water heater. Obviously
when it ruptures and water goes all over your basement is a good time, but
prior to that, what is a good rule of thumb. The reason I'm asking is

that
our local gas company is offering a $200 rebate to customers for their
purchase and installation of a new water heater. Our 50-gal water heater
appears to be functioning just fine but it's 10 years old. From what I can
tell it has a 5 year warranty from Rheem. I'm wondering if it would be

wise,
or overly cautious, to replace it at this point. Any advice? Thanks.

JerryMouse

Frank wrote:
"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
You could check the anode and replace it if necessary. The anode is
there to protect the glass. Once it dissolves the water starts on
the glass.

Protect the glass?

Yes. Glass is soluble in water. Slightly.

Something else few people know: the only known solvent for carbon is liquid
iron.

SteveB

"Peter Bagrationoff" wrote

Just make sure a
licenced plumber installs it or you won't get the rebate!

A "licensed plumber" installed a new heater for my neighbor, a very anal
type. The neighbor, not the plumber. The nice plumber only charged Dan
$600. Dan, of course, got the heater on sale at Home Depot, so saved a lot
there. And since it was done by a "licensed plumber", it is warrantied, as
Dan explained. Well, the water heater is warrantied, and Dan would ONLY
have to pay the labor to have it changed.

I, on the other hand, change my own. In the family, we have three
residences, and four rental properties. When it starts goofing up, I shoot
it and drag it to the curb. I buy another at HD. Of course, I save the
$600 plumber's labor, and I figure that puts me two water heaters ahead each
time I change one myself, thus giving me a "two water heater warranty." I
like that better because I don't have to keep all those papers, and I won't
go out of business in the next ten years (hopefully) and leave myself
hanging on to a worthless warranty.

If I do go out of business (die) in the meantime, I ain't going to give a
hoot about the water heater anyway. Warranties are like toilet paper. Good
for wiping, and not much else.

Steve

Martik

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

$600 to install a water heater in robbery IMO! It's like a 2 hour job if you
take 2 coffee breaks.

Those utility company rebates almost always require that an overpriced
'professional' must do the installation which more than eliminates any
saving.

I replaced mine for $150 and bought the model with the basic warranty 2-4
years IIRC. With an anode rod they produce almost no sediment.

Jeff Cochran

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:08:53 -0500, "tivo-guy" wrote:

I'm looking for some advice on when to replace a water heater. Obviously
when it ruptures and water goes all over your basement is a good time, but
prior to that, what is a good rule of thumb. The reason I'm asking is that
our local gas company is offering a $200 rebate to customers for their
purchase and installation of a new water heater. Our 50-gal water heater
appears to be functioning just fine but it's 10 years old. From what I can
tell it has a 5 year warranty from Rheem. I'm wondering if it would be wise,
or overly cautious, to replace it at this point. Any advice? Thanks.

Water heaters suffer from only a few problems, only two of which
require replacement. If the water heater leaks in the tank, you
basically need to replace it. And if the water heater is inefficient
enough that a newer heater can recover it's cost in a few years of
energy savings, it's time to replace. With the rebate you might be
able to meet criteria 2, but do the math.

Just about everything else on a water heater can be repaired/replaced
rather inexpensively. That's why the rule of thumb is to replace it
when it leaks, and not before.

Jeff
Jeff Cochran

$600 to install a water heater in robbery IMO! It's like a 2 hour job if you
take 2 coffee breaks.

Locally a major part of the fee is disposal. A gas heater, with
changes to the flue and gas piping needed to accomodate a newer heater
might run $600 to install even at a reasonable rate.

Jeff
Phisherman

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:08:53 -0500, "tivo-guy" wrote:

I'm looking for some advice on when to replace a water heater. Obviously
when it ruptures and water goes all over your basement is a good time, but
prior to that, what is a good rule of thumb. The reason I'm asking is that
our local gas company is offering a $200 rebate to customers for their
purchase and installation of a new water heater. Our 50-gal water heater
appears to be functioning just fine but it's 10 years old. From what I can
tell it has a 5 year warranty from Rheem. I'm wondering if it would be wise,
or overly cautious, to replace it at this point. Any advice? Thanks.

I probably would not bother it until it fails to heat. You have a
catch pan with drain pipe for the heater, right? I have seen a water
heater to last 40 years, but that's not too common.

Peter Bagrationoff

How can it be a suckers bet when you need to replace a unit anyway?
Some people who are not as handy as others feel it is well worth it to
pay a bit extra and have a job done right. I called four plumbers and
the install price was between 300 and 400. HD is doing it for 280 plus
I get three years in-home service without a service charge. After the
rebate I am paying $80 for installation. Not a bad deal in my opinion!

wrote:
Hot water heaters are not that hard to replace yourself. I did mine
about 6 years ago - try to get one that is the same height as the
existing one. cold water in, hot water out, connect the vent, light it
up, that's it...

I think I bought mine at HD for about $325, it was the best 40g one
they had. (I only have two people in my house.)

FWIW, my old one gave symptoms of going when it failed to keep up with
hot water demands...that when I got rid of it.

When it starts to go, replace it, but that gas co. deal looks like a
sucker bet.

Bluesman

What if instead of failing to heat, it leaks instead, which is the more
common failure mode? And there have been lots of cases where a 10+
yr old gas heater suddenly leaked so bad that it flooded the basement
and caused thousands in damage. One has to evaluate what the
consequences of such a failure will do in their particular situation,
ie where is the water heater located and what will happen if it fails.
Somewhere in the 10-15 yr range is typically all you get with a gas
unit, which is what tivo guy has, while electric units can last 20 or
so. I got 11 years out of mine before it developed what I would call
a moderate leak in the middle of the night. When you consider a new
one that may be more energy efficient, plus a $200 deal, I'd probably
replace it now.

rip off. Telling you it is a great deal but if you combine the cost of
the tank they want you to get and the installer they want you to use,
you will end up spending more than you would have on your own.

I could be wrong- look into it, see what the restictions are, it may be
a good deal.

Bluesman

Peter Bagrationoff

The heater costs $359 now and will cost $359 after the rebate. Only
difference is I am saving $200 on the installation because of the
rebate. No-brainer to me! Good deal for anyone getting ready to change
the tank anyway. Mine is 14 years old and I get lots of sediment in my
hot water even after flushing and it is not very efficient.

wrote:
rip off. Telling you it is a great deal but if you combine the cost of
the tank they want you to get and the installer they want you to use,
you will end up spending more than you would have on your own.

I could be wrong- look into it, see what the restictions are, it may be
a good deal.

Bluesman

Doug Boulter

Peter Bagrationoff wrote on 30 Dec 2004:

Only
difference is I am saving $200 on the installation because of the
rebate. No-brainer to me!

Um, as someone else posted, installation should involve very little
time. An hour if no major re-piping is needed, two if it is. Even
with expensive plumber rates, total installation cost should be
under the $200. If you're paying a lot more than that, the rebate
is worthless.

If the issue is disposal of the old heater, it's worth seeing what
your community's/trash hauler's policies are. If you can just put
it out on the curb for them to haul off, it's not worth paying
extra for that service.

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address

Bubba

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:40:16 -0600, Doug Boulter
wrote:

Peter Bagrationoff wrote on 30 Dec 2004:

Only
difference is I am saving $200 on the installation because of the
rebate. No-brainer to me!

Um, as someone else posted, installation should involve very little
time. An hour if no major re-piping is needed, two if it is. Even
with expensive plumber rates, total installation cost should be
under the $200. If you're paying a lot more than that, the rebate
is worthless.

If the issue is disposal of the old heater, it's worth seeing what
your community's/trash hauler's policies are. If you can just put
it out on the curb for them to haul off, it's not worth paying
extra for that service.

What planet are you living on Doug? No Professional plummer is going
to drive their van to your home, diagnose the water heater, leave to
go pick up the new heater, come back with it, drain and remove your
old one, install the new one, check it for proper operation and haul
away the old one for $200 labor!
An hour to change out a water heater? You've obviously never done a
water heater replacement start to finish.
Bubba
Stormin Mormon

Lets see, cold water. Hot water. Vent.

I guess you just leave that black pipe disconnected? Hey, it's making a
hissing noise and smells like rotton eggs. Well, never mind.

--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hot water heaters are not that hard to replace yourself. I did mine
about 6 years ago - try to get one that is the same height as the
existing one. cold water in, hot water out, connect the vent, light it
up, that's it...

I think I bought mine at HD for about $325, it was the best 40g one
they had. (I only have two people in my house.)

FWIW, my old one gave symptoms of going when it failed to keep up with
hot water demands...that when I got rid of it.

When it starts to go, replace it, but that gas co. deal looks like a
sucker bet.

Bluesman

Peter Bagrationoff

Well the guys from Bynum Plumbing came over yesterday and did a great
job on the install. It took two guys about two hours to drain the old
heater, remove it, install the new one, and add a thermal expansion
tank. They took away the old unit as well. Everything was cleaned up
when they were done and they even bled all the air from the water line
before leaving. After the rebate and the gift card, installation costs
me $30. Doubt you could even do it yourself that cheap Doug. Time is
money to me, and that was well worth it!

Doug Boulter wrote:
Peter Bagrationoff wrote on 30 Dec 2004:

Only
difference is I am saving $200 on the installation because of the
rebate. No-brainer to me!

Um, as someone else posted, installation should involve very little
time. An hour if no major re-piping is needed, two if it is. Even
with expensive plumber rates, total installation cost should be
under the $200. If you're paying a lot more than that, the rebate
is worthless.

If the issue is disposal of the old heater, it's worth seeing what
your community's/trash hauler's policies are. If you can just put
it out on the curb for them to haul off, it's not worth paying
extra for that service.

Roger Shoaf

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Lets see, cold water. Hot water. Vent.

I guess you just leave that black pipe disconnected? Hey, it's making a
hissing noise and smells like rotton eggs. Well, never mind.

Don't forget the T&P valve and the pipe to run the drain out of the house.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Bubba

On 31 Dec 2004 18:35:06 GMT, Marina wrote:

Bubba wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

If I recall right our water heater was replaced about 6-7 years ago for
somewhere around $350.

Living in the past, are "we"?
Bubba

Bubba

wrote:

[...]

ON second thought,

recall right.........
about 6-7.........
somewhere........
around........

Yeah, right. Like you have any ****in clue.
Most new 50gal gas water heaters cost almost that much to purchase
now. Thats not even counting markup and installation by a professional
plummer. This all thanks to the most recent government safety changes
because they are so many stupid homeowners out there that think it is
no problem storing gasoline, paint and other flammable materials right
next to the water heater.
Just remember, the next time you see the most ridiculous stupid
warning label printed, remember, there was at least one idiot that did
just that!
Bubba
Bubba

On 31 Dec 2004 20:08:47 GMT, Marina wrote:

Bubba wrote in
news

wrote:

[...]

Don't worry, "Bubba". Your vacation from junior high will be over and
you'll be back in your school's detention in no time.
Marina

"Ahhh if only to turn back the hands of time.............."
Bubba
JustCallMe Norman

If your water is average in terms of hardness, then every 14-16 years id
replace the water heater. Once it starts banging when firing (indicating
that it has a load of sediment in the bottom )...its time to replace it
--- normally, its at about 12-16 years before this takes place to the
point where its banging alot, and loudly. Once you install a new water
heater, drain 5 gallons out every month, under pressure by hooking up a
hose to the drain valve. This will 'theoretically' extend its life.

Bob S.

tivo-guy wrote:
I'm looking for some advice on when to replace a water heater.

Obviously
when it ruptures and water goes all over your basement is a good

time, but
prior to that, what is a good rule of thumb.

Ok, popular concensus is that gas water heaters last 10-14 years
whereas electrics last 20-40 years.

Why the difference?
(I thought tank life was primarily determined by anode condition)

Is there any difference between natural gas and lp gas tank life?
(Lp having lower btu rating, therefore cooler heating)

Bob S.

Mike

This $200 rebate, to qualify, do they say who you have to get the next
one through? I feel an inflated installation charge/unit price coming.
I imagine they will restrict you to buying a gas unit over electric so
what other rules are in there?

If you can go to Sears/Lowes/HD and get a new one installed for $400 or
less, and still get the rebate, then that might not be a bad deal.

Mines 26 years old and on its 3rd set of elements(electric). I drain it
every two years and check the elements. Have you been draining it to
remove any sediment build-up?

Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Cost to install gas hot water heater Walleye Home Ownership 8 September 10th 03 03:20 AM