tivo-guy

Default When to replace water heater?

I'm looking for some advice on when to replace a water heater. Obviously
when it ruptures and water goes all over your basement is a good time, but
prior to that, what is a good rule of thumb. The reason I'm asking is that
our local gas company is offering a $200 rebate to customers for their
purchase and installation of a new water heater. Our 50-gal water heater
appears to be functioning just fine but it's 10 years old. From what I can
tell it has a 5 year warranty from Rheem. I'm wondering if it would be wise,
or overly cautious, to replace it at this point. Any advice? Thanks.