Frank

"tivo-guy" wrote in message
I'm looking for some advice on when to replace a water heater. Obviously
when it ruptures and water goes all over your basement is a good time, but
prior to that, what is a good rule of thumb. The reason I'm asking is
that our local gas company is offering a $200 rebate to customers for
their purchase and installation of a new water heater. Our 50-gal water
heater appears to be functioning just fine but it's 10 years old. From
what I can tell it has a 5 year warranty from Rheem. I'm wondering if it
would be wise, or overly cautious, to replace it at this point. Any
advice? Thanks.

Replace if:

1) When the tenant calls and tell you there is no hot water.

2) Water is just warm even you crank the thermostat way up.

3) Major rust in or around the tank.

I never had a ruptured tank, mine just goes out or doesn't get hot. 10 year
old tank may last for just one more day or for another 10 or more years. For
me I consider a 10 year old tank fully deprecated much like a 10 year old
car and if someone give me $200 and my net installed cost not over $400 for
a 50 gal tank I would go for it. A new tank should also save you on the
energy bill.