Art

You could check the anode and replace it if necessary. The anode is there
to protect the glass. Once it dissolves the water starts on the glass.

"tivo-guy" wrote in message
I'm looking for some advice on when to replace a water heater. Obviously
when it ruptures and water goes all over your basement is a good time, but
prior to that, what is a good rule of thumb. The reason I'm asking is
that our local gas company is offering a $200 rebate to customers for
their purchase and installation of a new water heater. Our 50-gal water
heater appears to be functioning just fine but it's 10 years old. From
what I can tell it has a 5 year warranty from Rheem. I'm wondering if it
would be wise, or overly cautious, to replace it at this point. Any
advice? Thanks.