Doug Boulter

Bubba wrote on 31 Dec 2004:

No Professional plummer

Sheesh, Bubba! Repeat after me - plumber, plumber, plumber.

is going
to drive their van to your home, diagnose the water heater,
leave to go pick up the new heater, come back with it, drain and
remove your old one, install the new one, check it for proper
operation and haul away the old one for $200 labor!

That's right. I was figuring time to install a new water heater
that was sitting next to the old one. No diagnosis necessary, no
picking up necessary. Although I'd wonder about a plumber who got
a water heater call and didn't have a new heater on the truck.

An hour to change out a water heater? You've obviously never
done a water heater replacement start to finish.

Well, actually, I've done two. But more importantly, I've watched
professional plumbers do it. Of course *I* can't do it that
quickly, but they can. And apparently the plumbers from Bynum
Plumbing who showed up at the original poster's house could too.
Took them two hours including the installation of a thermal
expansion tank (which isn't common practice here) per the original
poster's followup.

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address
Bubba

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:08:59 -0600, Doug Boulter
wrote:

Bubba wrote on 31 Dec 2004:

[...]

Well gee Dougy. Your ONE hours seems to have changed into TWO hours
now. Will your next post say that they can do it in THREE or FOUR
hours next. Make up your freakin mind, you mo'.
Bubba
tivo-guy

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
This $200 rebate, to qualify, do they say who you have to get the next
one through? I feel an inflated installation charge/unit price coming.
I imagine they will restrict you to buying a gas unit over electric so
what other rules are in there?

If you can go to Sears/Lowes/HD and get a new one installed for $400 or
less, and still get the rebate, then that might not be a bad deal.

Mines 26 years old and on its 3rd set of elements(electric). I drain it
every two years and check the elements. Have you been draining it to
remove any sediment build-up?

Well, the rebate period was over at years end. I didn't opt to replace my
10yr old heater but the $200 rebate deal was that you could buy a heater
anywhere and get a qualified plumber to install it. A freiend of mine went
for this replacing his 14yr old heater per the rebate program. He got the
heater at Home Depot and had them install it for $200 including the now
required expansion tank.

Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Cost to install gas hot water heater Walleye Home Ownership 8 September 10th 03 03:20 AM