Jeff Six

Default gas pipe rust and paint

When my house was built (about three years ago), the builders
neglected to paint the gas pipe on my side of my meter and that pipe
has now developed a nice coat of surface rust (it's normal black gas
pipe). The pipe on the gas company's side of the meter was painted and
looks the same as when I moved in.

(1) Is the rust/rusty color a problem and something I should correct?
The rest of the houses on my street (built during the past 1-5 years)
are in a similar situation.

(2) I assume that I should paint over the rusty-looking pipe so it
doesn't corode or develop into a problem. What is the appropiate paint
to use here?

Thanks.

Greg O

"Jeff Six" wrote in message
om...
When my house was built (about three years ago), the builders
neglected to paint the gas pipe on my side of my meter and that pipe
has now developed a nice coat of surface rust

Paint it if it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. The chances that it will rust
through in your life time is pretty slim.
I have seen alot of gas pipe that is 30-40 years old, that other than the
nice coating of rust, is in good condition.
Code in our area now requires it to be painted, but I have installed a ton
of pipe that was not painted, before the codes changed.
Greg

Matt Whiting

Jeff Six wrote:
When my house was built (about three years ago), the builders
neglected to paint the gas pipe on my side of my meter and that pipe
has now developed a nice coat of surface rust (it's normal black gas
pipe). The pipe on the gas company's side of the meter was painted and
looks the same as when I moved in.

(1) Is the rust/rusty color a problem and something I should correct?
The rest of the houses on my street (built during the past 1-5 years)
are in a similar situation.

(2) I assume that I should paint over the rusty-looking pipe so it
doesn't corode or develop into a problem. What is the appropiate paint
to use here?

Thanks.

The only real problem is cosmetic, however, a couple of coats of
Rustoleum can't hurt. Just make sure you wire brush and/or sand the
pipe thoroughly before priming and painting.

Matt

toller

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Jeff Six" wrote in message
om...
When my house was built (about three years ago), the builders
neglected to paint the gas pipe on my side of my meter and that pipe
has now developed a nice coat of surface rust

Paint it if it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. The chances that it will

rust
through in your life time is pretty slim.
I have seen alot of gas pipe that is 30-40 years old, that other than the
nice coating of rust, is in good condition.

My 15 year old gas pipe rusted out, so it is certainly possible.

toller

When my house was built (about three years ago), the builders
neglected to paint the gas pipe on my side of my meter and that pipe
has now developed a nice coat of surface rust (it's normal black gas
pipe). The pipe on the gas company's side of the meter was painted and
looks the same as when I moved in.

When I put an addition on my house 15 years ago local code required wrapping
iron pipe in plastic to protect it.
It might be worth a call to your building department to see what they
required 3 years ago. There might be a big lawsuit brewing, if the
contractor is still in business.

Matt Whiting

toller wrote:

When my house was built (about three years ago), the builders
neglected to paint the gas pipe on my side of my meter and that pipe
has now developed a nice coat of surface rust (it's normal black gas
pipe). The pipe on the gas company's side of the meter was painted and
looks the same as when I moved in.

When I put an addition on my house 15 years ago local code required wrapping
iron pipe in plastic to protect it.
It might be worth a call to your building department to see what they
required 3 years ago. There might be a big lawsuit brewing, if the
contractor is still in business.

Go chase your ambulances somewhere else.

Matt

JTMcC

"Jeff Six" wrote in message
om...
When my house was built (about three years ago), the builders
neglected to paint the gas pipe on my side of my meter and that pipe
has now developed a nice coat of surface rust (it's normal black gas
pipe). The pipe on the gas company's side of the meter was painted and
looks the same as when I moved in.

The pipe on the gas company's side isn't painted, its poly coated.

JTMcC.

(1) Is the rust/rusty color a problem and something I should correct?
The rest of the houses on my street (built during the past 1-5 years)
are in a similar situation.

(2) I assume that I should paint over the rusty-looking pipe so it
doesn't corode or develop into a problem. What is the appropiate paint
to use here?

Thanks.

Greg O

"toller" wrote in message

My 15 year old gas pipe rusted out, so it is certainly possible.

What was the circumstances? Low to the ground? Underground? Sea side?
It is not impossible for it to rust out, just unusual.
Greg

Greg O

"JTMcC" wrote in message

"Jeff Six" wrote in message
om...
When my house was built (about three years ago), the builders
neglected to paint the gas pipe on my side of my meter and that pipe
has now developed a nice coat of surface rust (it's normal black gas
pipe). The pipe on the gas company's side of the meter was painted and
looks the same as when I moved in.

The pipe on the gas company's side isn't painted, its poly coated.

JTMcC.

Where it enters the meter it is plain old painted pipe.
Below the shut off where it comes out of the ground it is more than likely
poly pipe with a steel jacket!
Greg
Greg

pet

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:12:59 -0700, Jeff Six wrote:

When my house was built (about three years ago), the builders
neglected to paint the gas pipe on my side of my meter and that pipe
has now developed a nice coat of surface rust (it's normal black gas
pipe). The pipe on the gas company's side of the meter was painted and
looks the same as when I moved in.

(1) Is the rust/rusty color a problem and something I should correct?
The rest of the houses on my street (built during the past 1-5 years)
are in a similar situation.

(2) I assume that I should paint over the rusty-looking pipe so it
doesn't corode or develop into a problem. What is the appropiate paint
to use here?

Thanks.

brush the rust off with a steel brush, prime with an exterior metal primer
and then paint with a paint compatible with the primer of a color you
like. No magic, just painting metal.

JTMcC

"Greg O" wrote in message

"JTMcC" wrote in message

"Jeff Six" wrote in message
om...
When my house was built (about three years ago), the builders
neglected to paint the gas pipe on my side of my meter and that pipe
has now developed a nice coat of surface rust (it's normal black gas
pipe). The pipe on the gas company's side of the meter was painted and
looks the same as when I moved in.

The pipe on the gas company's side isn't painted, its poly coated.

JTMcC.

Where it enters the meter it is plain old painted pipe.
Below the shut off where it comes out of the ground it is more than likely
poly pipe with a steel jacket!
Greg
Greg

The connection to the meter is probably painted, but the line from the hot
tap to the riser is most likely poly coated steel pipe. All underground gas
piping is either coated or taped these days. Even if you have a plastic
service from the main, the riser will probably be coated steel
Where in the world are gas companies putting a steel jacket on plastic
pipe??

JTMcC.

toller

"Greg O" wrote in message

"toller" wrote in message

My 15 year old gas pipe rusted out, so it is certainly possible.

What was the circumstances? Low to the ground? Underground? Sea side?
It is not impossible for it to rust out, just unusual.
Greg

Hanging from a deck on the northside of my house. Probably took a while to
dry out after it got wet; but it did rust out.

Greg O

"JTMcC" wrote in message
news

The connection to the meter is probably painted, but the line from the hot
tap to the riser is most likely poly coated steel pipe. All underground

gas
piping is either coated or taped these days. Even if you have a plastic
service from the main, the riser will probably be coated steel
Where in the world are gas companies putting a steel jacket on plastic
pipe??

All over the US!
Running steel pipe underground is getting to be a thing of the past.
The poly, not plastic, polyethylene actually, pipe is direct buried in the
ground. The poly pipe is connected to a "riser" that is nothing more than a
poly pipe with a steel protective jacket. The poly runs right through to the
fitting. The steel jacket does nothing more than ward off weed trimmers,
hungry dogs and the like.
I have actually installed a fair bit of under ground myself, and have been
around when the gas company does their side of the meter. On my job we use
the same pipe the gas company uses.
Greg

SJF

"Jeff Six" wrote in message
om...
When my house was built (about three years ago), the builders
neglected to paint the gas pipe on my side of my meter and that pipe
has now developed a nice coat of surface rust (it's normal black gas
pipe). The pipe on the gas company's side of the meter was painted and
looks the same as when I moved in.

(1) Is the rust/rusty color a problem and something I should correct?
The rest of the houses on my street (built during the past 1-5 years)
are in a similar situation.

(2) I assume that I should paint over the rusty-looking pipe so it
doesn't corode or develop into a problem. What is the appropiate paint
to use here?

Thanks.

Gas company just replaced all their pipe in our neighborhood this year. The
installers painted the pipes at the outdoor meter with utility gray Krylon
spray. They left a carton of six cans behind in my yard. Need some?

Matt Whiting

Greg O wrote:

"JTMcC" wrote in message
news
The connection to the meter is probably painted, but the line from the hot
tap to the riser is most likely poly coated steel pipe. All underground

gas

piping is either coated or taped these days. Even if you have a plastic
service from the main, the riser will probably be coated steel
Where in the world are gas companies putting a steel jacket on plastic
pipe??

All over the US!
Running steel pipe underground is getting to be a thing of the past.
The poly, not plastic, polyethylene actually, pipe is direct buried in the

Poly = plastic.

Matt

JTMcC

"Greg O" wrote in message

All over the US!
Running steel pipe underground is getting to be a thing of the past.

Absolutely not true, plastic gas line is used in applications under 99 psi,
almost always. We weld miles and miles of steel gas line every year, from
low pressure up to around 1200 psi. From 3/4" to 36" 1.250 wall.

The poly, not plastic, polyethylene actually, pipe is direct buried in the
ground.

What you call poly is plastic. Everyone else calls it PE.

The poly pipe is connected to a "riser" that is nothing more than a
poly pipe with a steel protective jacket. The poly runs right through to
the
fitting. The steel jacket does nothing more than ward off weed trimmers,
hungry dogs and the like.

I've never seen a plastic riser in a steel sleeve, I've seen hundreds of
pe/steel transition risers. But that doesn't mean some utilities don't do it
that way I suppose.

I have actually installed a fair bit of under ground myself, and have been
around when the gas company does their side of the meter. On my job we use
the same pipe the gas company uses.
Greg

I've installed hundreds of miles, 99% of it on the high pressure side of the
meter. Underground gas line is poly coated, or taped. The meter installer
will generaly paint everything thats not gas company grey after piping his
meter.

CWatters

"Jeff Six" wrote in message
om...
When my house was built (about three years ago), the builders
neglected to paint the gas pipe on my side of my meter

Here in Belgium the regulations say it must be painted bright yellow! The
installers have to paint it that color before the mas from the gas co will
sign it off.

Jamie

I had an outdoor gas line installed recently (black pipe) and it began to
rust within a week. I steel wool-ed it and coated it with linseed oil,
problem solved and it looks so nice and shiny.

"SJF" wrote in message
Gas company just replaced all their pipe in our neighborhood this year.

The
installers painted the pipes at the outdoor meter with utility gray Krylon
spray. They left a carton of six cans behind in my yard. Need some?

Greg O

"JTMcC" wrote in message
news

I've installed hundreds of miles, 99% of it on the high pressure side of

the
meter. Underground gas line is poly coated, or taped. The meter installer
will generaly paint everything thats not gas company grey after piping his
meter.

Pretty much any underground gas on the utility side of the meter here is
poly. Granted there probably is some steel in the ground here and there, but
any new installs have been poly. The mains are poly, branches to homes and
business' are poly.
Greg

JTMcC

"Greg O" wrote in message

"JTMcC" wrote in message
news

I've installed hundreds of miles, 99% of it on the high pressure side of

the
meter. Underground gas line is poly coated, or taped. The meter installer
will generaly paint everything thats not gas company grey after piping
his
meter.

Pretty much any underground gas on the utility side of the meter here is
poly. Granted there probably is some steel in the ground here and there,
but
any new installs have been poly. The mains are poly, branches to homes and
business' are poly.
Greg

That's just not possible, PE is legal for pressures under 99psi, all in town
distribution systems have pipe pressures well over that, they have to
maintain volumn. Even a small town will have distribution mains running 200
to 500 psi. and from 2" up.
As far as services go, steel services run off steel mains and PE services
run off of PE mains.
Maybe you haven't seen them, but there are quite a few steel lines in your
area.
You just can't run an entire dist. system with pressures under 99 psi.
Especially in the winter.
All this goes out the window if you are in Mexico, Gautamala, ect. But in
the U.S. it will hold true.

JTMcC.

Greg O

"JTMcC" wrote in message

That's just not possible, PE is legal for pressures under 99psi, all in

town
distribution systems have pipe pressures well over that, they have to
maintain volumn. Even a small town will have distribution mains running

200
to 500 psi. and from 2" up.
As far as services go, steel services run off steel mains and PE services
run off of PE mains.
Maybe you haven't seen them, but there are quite a few steel lines in your
area.
You just can't run an entire dist. system with pressures under 99 psi.
Especially in the winter.
All this goes out the window if you are in Mexico, Gautamala, ect. But in
the U.S. it will hold true.

JTMcC.

Not going to argue with you, been there, seen them bury and connect mains.
I was told by the utility that they run 50 psi in the mains, I have seen
them run 2" and 4" poly. I know they have larger lines.
Greg
Greg

JTMcC

"Greg O" wrote in message

"JTMcC" wrote in message

[...]

There is a large difference between "been there seen them do it", and "this
is what I do for a living. A large part of our business is building gas
lines, big and small. Like I said, we weld gas lines from 3/4" to 36", 2 psi
to well over 1000.
As for 50 psi in a main, a natural gas distribution system can be fairly
complicated but the bone head version is this: The closer you get to the end
of a particular line, the lower the pressure and the smaller the pipe. So to
say a system runs at 50 psi is like saying my truck goes 50 mph, it does,
sometimes. Many times it doesn't. The pressure in a particular line will
vary at different times of the year, utilities bump it up come winter.
I'm not going to argue with you either, you seem to be the archtypical
internet expert, "I seen it done!" Good for you, but you are putting out
miss information and anyone working in this field knows it.

JTMcC.

Matt Whiting

Jamie wrote:
I had an outdoor gas line installed recently (black pipe) and it began to
rust within a week. I steel wool-ed it and coated it with linseed oil,
problem solved and it looks so nice and shiny.

This is OK as a temporary solution, but the linseed oil won't weather
all that long.

Matt

Matt Whiting

JTMcC wrote:

"Greg O" wrote in message

"JTMcC" wrote in message
news
[...]

Well, I live in rural PA and my main distribution line past my driveway
is 2" poly. It says so right on the yellow marker that sticks up out of
the ground by my driveway. I'll have to check, but I believe the line
from the main to my house is 1.5" poly.

I don't know what the pressure is, but I live out in the boonies and the
distribution lines are pretty long.

Matt

Greg O

"JTMcC" wrote in message
I'm not going to argue with you either, you seem to be the archtypical

internet expert, "I seen it done!" Good for you, but you are putting out
miss information and anyone working in this field knows it.

JTMcC.

Nothing I have posted in this thread is false, I work around this stuff
nearly everyday, talk to the gents that do the work regularly.
Maybe they do things differantly around your neck of the woods!
I will not argue that fact that major, point ot point gas distribution is
still done in steel. Once you get to the city scale of things the prefered
pipe in this area is poly.
Funny, what you say is impossible I have seen with my own eyes!
I guess I was dreaming!
Greg

JTMcC

"Greg O" wrote in message

"JTMcC" wrote in message
I'm not going to argue with you either, you seem to be the archtypical

internet expert, "I seen it done!" Good for you, but you are putting out
miss information and anyone working in this field knows it.

JTMcC.

Nothing I have posted in this thread is false, I work around this stuff
nearly everyday,

What do you do, exactly?

talk to the gents that do the work regularly.
Maybe they do things differantly around your neck of the woods!

We work from coast to coast.

I will not argue that fact that major, point ot point gas distribution is
still done in steel.

I'm sorry, but every time you say something you display a lack of
understanding. What you just called distribution is transmittion.
Distribution is defined by the piping system downstream of the town station.
These are standard industry terms. Distribution piping is in town piping
only.

Once you get to the city scale of things the prefered
pipe in this area is poly.

Of course it is, it's cheaper, they use it in every case where it's legal to
use, the problem is that higher pressure piping is required in the system.

Funny, what you say is impossible I have seen with my own eyes!
I guess I was dreaming!

It is impossible, with todays materials, to build an entire distribution
system in plastic. Have you seen "with your own eyes" every underground
main, station and service in the system? Of course not, trust me, in your
area, if you are in the U.S., there are steel mains and steel services as
well as plastic.

JTMcC.

Greg

JTMcC

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
JTMcC wrote:

"Greg O" wrote in message

"JTMcC" wrote in message
news
[...]

Anecdotal evidence about the line in front of your yard is interesting, but
I'm missing your point. There are millions of miles of plastic gas pipe in
the ground, I remember when they used regular old PVC, and I've seen all the
other incarnations of new and improved plastic line. When we test welders it
is a common sight to see a whole gaggle of guys taking the plastic welding
test. They use it everwhere they can, it's very cheap compared to welded
steel line. I would guess that hundreds of miles are put in the ground every
week, but that has no bearing on the fact that plastic at this point still
has serious limitations on use, and millions of miles of steel is used in
distribution piping as well.

JTMcC.

JTMcC.

Greg O

"JTMcC" wrote in message

It is impossible, with todays materials, to build an entire distribution
system in plastic. Have you seen "with your own eyes" every underground
main, station and service in the system? Of course not, trust me, in your
area, if you are in the U.S., there are steel mains and steel services as
well as plastic.

JTMcC.

You know, I never said steel was not ever used anymore, just that steel use
getting to be a thing of the past. Any low pressure, (less than ~100 psi),
small diameter, pipeing put in in many places is probably poly. Steel is
being used less and less. You won't see it much in our area.
The origination of all this B.S, was the supply side of a residential meter,
it would be poly in this area, as I am sure many others.
Greg

Greg O

"JTMcC" wrote in message

I just find it strange with your vast experiance you have never seen a poly
riser with a steel jacket as stated in one of your previous posts. Here is a
cut and paste from your earlier post.

The connection to the meter is probably painted, but the line from the hot
tap to the riser is most likely poly coated steel pipe. All underground gas
piping is either coated or taped these days. Even if you have a plastic
service from the main, the riser will probably be coated steel
Where in the world are gas companies putting a steel jacket on plastic
pipe??

JTMcC.

I have never seen a steel riser to a meter in this area, They may exist, but
poly with a steel jacket is many times more common.
You made a statement that "All underground gas piping is either coated or
taped these days." Kind of a broad statement, isn't it? You Then you go on
later to admit to using poly for gas, which is it?

You ask what I do, I am a HVAC tech, and I do a ton of gas piping. Many
times I have seen the utility dig in gas supply for a home or bussiness.
EVERY time the tie in is to poly pipe. Some of the older parts of the city
may have steel under ground, but the preferance is poly in this area. I have
watched them bore and pull in poly gas main in new areas of the city many
times, not a bit of steel getting dug in for the city's distrubution.
I did watch them trench in a large transmission pipe this summer it was
steel. It was not a main to my understanding as it just got gas from point
"A" to "B", no branches going off. It was in the neighborhood of 12", but I
did not actually measure it.
Greg

Mike Robinson

"JTMcC" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message

"JTMcC" wrote in message
[...]

I do not work in the gas industry, but a quick google revealed this
http://www.pge.com/education_trainin..._system_works/
And looking down the page:
8. The distribution system consists of both high-pressure mains (less than
60 psig) and low-pressure mains (1/4 psig), which distribute gas from the
regulator station to the customer.

Greg

---

Dan

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:07:05 -0400, Matt Whiting
wrote:

Jamie wrote:
I had an outdoor gas line installed recently (black pipe) and it began to
rust within a week. I steel wool-ed it and coated it with linseed oil,
problem solved and it looks so nice and shiny.

This is OK as a temporary solution, but the linseed oil won't weather
all that long.

Matt

All the new distribution lines in my area are yellow plastic. Don't
know about the high pressure stuff before that, but I presume it's
steel.

Dan
Jeff Six

"SJF" wrote in message news:hlodd.5880$SW3.2942@fed1read01...

Gas company just replaced all their pipe in our neighborhood this year. The
installers painted the pipes at the outdoor meter with utility gray Krylon
spray. They left a carton of six cans behind in my yard. Need some?

After all the advice, I got some RustOLeum Rusty Metal Primer and
primed the pipe. I'll paint it with some nice paint next weekend.
Thanks for the offer, though.
Ralph Hertle

Jeff Six:

Jeff Six wrote:
"SJF" wrote in message news:hlodd.5880$SW3.2942@fed1read01...

Gas company just replaced all their pipe in our neighborhood this year. The
installers painted the pipes at the outdoor meter with utility gray Krylon
spray. They left a carton of six cans behind in my yard. Need some?

After all the advice, I got some RustOLeum Rusty Metal Primer and
primed the pipe. I'll paint it with some nice paint next weekend.
Thanks for the offer, though.

Rust prevention method:

This may be more than is needed, however, ......

Steel piping and structural steel beams may be effectively protected from
rust where there is air and water, high humidity, or water condensation
present by means of a block of zinc metal that is soldered or screwed to
the steel. Zinc blocks function as a part of an electric circuit in water.
the water on the surface completes the circuit. Instead of the oxygen in
the air or water combining with the steel it combines with the zinc metal.
Harmless zinc oxide powder is formed as the zinc is corroded away. The
steel remains un-rusted.

The zinc may be attached with a stainless steel screw to the steel, and the
zinc-to-steel contact patch must be clean metal to metal. The zinc and a
small patch of steel around or near to the zinc is left bare metal.

Zinc is used on auto body panels and on steel hull boats or boats that have
steel parts, e.g., prop shafts, that are in the water. The zinc blocks are
replaced from time to time.

Purchase the zinc blocks and fasteners from any boat accessory or boat
engine supply store. Several shapes are offered, e.g., disks or blocks.

Notice that anti-rust primer paints contain zinc. In water and oxygen when
the zinc in the paint is used up the finish will fail and rusting will
occur. A coating that totally seals the steel surfaces from water and
oxygen will prevent the establishment of the electric circuit and rusting.
Other metals will work, e.g., window frame aluminum in contact with steel,
and the aluminum will be the sacrificial metal. Check the electromotive
series in a chemistry book for a list of the metals that will work and that
will not work. Use the wrong metal and the steel will be sacrificed by
means of more rapid rusting.

Ralph Hertle

JTMcC

"Ralph Hertle" wrote in message

Rust prevention method:

This may be more than is needed, however, ......

Steel piping and structural steel beams may be effectively protected from
rust where there is air and water, high humidity, or water condensation
present by means of a block of zinc metal that is soldered or screwed to
the steel.

The gas company might take a dim view of you screwing or soldering onto the
gas line.
Gas distribution (and all other underground pipeline companies) companies
spend considerable time/money on cathodic protection. Small amounts of
electricity is run through pipelines, whenever a new service, or main
extension, or any other significant addition or subtraction is made to the
piping system they will take readings between the pipe and adjacent damp
soil, and add large cathodic blocks as needed to bring the readings into
their allowable range.

JTMcC.

[...]

Ralph Hertle

JTMcC:

JTMcC wrote:

]clip]

The gas company might take a dim view of you screwing or soldering onto the
gas line.
Gas distribution (and all other underground pipeline companies) companies
spend considerable time/money on cathodic protection. Small amounts of
electricity is run through pipelines, whenever a new service, or main
extension, or any other significant addition or subtraction is made to the
piping system they will take readings between the pipe and adjacent damp
soil, and add large cathodic blocks as needed to bring the readings into
their allowable range.

JTMcC.

You are right: When writing I was focusing more upon fastening a block to
the web of a WF beam than to the gas pipe. Clamping the block to the pipe
would be appropriate. The same technique would work for steel or iron pipes.

Ralph Hertle
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

replying to Greg O, Flash wrote:
I had black pipe rust right through and the power co. Turned my **** off,
don't tell me it don't rust!!! Just looking for a suggestion on how to
prevent it

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...nt-560969-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2017 4:14 PM, Flash wrote:
replying to Greg O, Flash wrote:
I had black pipe rust right through and the power co. Turned my **** off,
don't tell me it don't rust!!!Â*Â*Â*Â* Just looking for a suggestion on how to
prevent it

If it's black pipe in the ground, the pipe and joints should be wrapped
with plumbers tape or some equivalent covering. You could also add
galvanic protection to it, such as a zinc anode buried and wired to the
pipe above ground. The parts above ground can be painted with a rust
preventing paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 17:44:58 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 10/17/2017 4:14 PM, Flash wrote:
replying to Greg O, Flash wrote:
I had black pipe rust right through and the power co. Turned my **** off,
don't tell me it don't rust!!!**** Just looking for a suggestion on how to
prevent it

If it's black pipe in the ground, the pipe and joints should be wrapped
with plumbers tape or some equivalent covering. You could also add
galvanic protection to it, such as a zinc anode buried and wired to the
pipe above ground. The parts above ground can be painted with a rust
preventing paint.

Asphault coat all underground black pipe. Asphault and wrap better
yet.