Greg O

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
JTMcC wrote:

"Greg O" wrote in message

"JTMcC" wrote in message
news
I've installed hundreds of miles, 99% of it on the high pressure side

of

the

meter. Underground gas line is poly coated, or taped. The meter

installer
will generaly paint everything thats not gas company grey after piping
his
meter.

Pretty much any underground gas on the utility side of the meter here is
poly. Granted there probably is some steel in the ground here and there,
but
any new installs have been poly. The mains are poly, branches to homes

and
business' are poly.
Greg

That's just not possible, PE is legal for pressures under 99psi, all in

town
distribution systems have pipe pressures well over that, they have to
maintain volumn. Even a small town will have distribution mains running

200
to 500 psi. and from 2" up.
As far as services go, steel services run off steel mains and PE

services
run off of PE mains.
Maybe you haven't seen them, but there are quite a few steel lines in

your
area.
You just can't run an entire dist. system with pressures under 99 psi.
Especially in the winter.
All this goes out the window if you are in Mexico, Gautamala, ect. But

in
the U.S. it will hold true.

Well, I live in rural PA and my main distribution line past my driveway
is 2" poly. It says so right on the yellow marker that sticks up out of
the ground by my driveway. I'll have to check, but I believe the line
from the main to my house is 1.5" poly.

I don't know what the pressure is, but I live out in the boonies and the
distribution lines are pretty long.

Matt