JTMcC

"Greg O" wrote in message

All over the US!
Running steel pipe underground is getting to be a thing of the past.

Absolutely not true, plastic gas line is used in applications under 99 psi,
almost always. We weld miles and miles of steel gas line every year, from
low pressure up to around 1200 psi. From 3/4" to 36" 1.250 wall.

The poly, not plastic, polyethylene actually, pipe is direct buried in the
ground.

What you call poly is plastic. Everyone else calls it PE.

The poly pipe is connected to a "riser" that is nothing more than a
poly pipe with a steel protective jacket. The poly runs right through to
the
fitting. The steel jacket does nothing more than ward off weed trimmers,
hungry dogs and the like.

I've never seen a plastic riser in a steel sleeve, I've seen hundreds of
pe/steel transition risers. But that doesn't mean some utilities don't do it
that way I suppose.

I have actually installed a fair bit of under ground myself, and have been
around when the gas company does their side of the meter. On my job we use
the same pipe the gas company uses.
Greg

I've installed hundreds of miles, 99% of it on the high pressure side of the
meter. Underground gas line is poly coated, or taped. The meter installer
will generaly paint everything thats not gas company grey after piping his
meter.