Greg O

"JTMcC" wrote in message
news

The connection to the meter is probably painted, but the line from the hot
tap to the riser is most likely poly coated steel pipe. All underground

gas
piping is either coated or taped these days. Even if you have a plastic
service from the main, the riser will probably be coated steel
Where in the world are gas companies putting a steel jacket on plastic
pipe??

All over the US!
Running steel pipe underground is getting to be a thing of the past.
The poly, not plastic, polyethylene actually, pipe is direct buried in the
ground. The poly pipe is connected to a "riser" that is nothing more than a
poly pipe with a steel protective jacket. The poly runs right through to the
fitting. The steel jacket does nothing more than ward off weed trimmers,
hungry dogs and the like.
I have actually installed a fair bit of under ground myself, and have been
around when the gas company does their side of the meter. On my job we use
the same pipe the gas company uses.
Greg